Very Strange Problem with 660 GPU

Kuromizu

Gawd
So, I have been using this EVGA 660 3gb for a few months and everything has been going perfectly. I've been really happy with it.

Last night I shut the computer down just like normal. Today, when I turned it on, it just hung during boot. After troubleshooting and testing for a few hours, I found that removing the video card caused everything to boot just fine.

There had been no problems at all previous to this morning.

I run an AMD 1055T CPU, MSI motherboard, 4GB ram, and a 700W OCZ power supply that has run video cards far more power hungry than this one.

Can anyone point to a solution or possible cause at least? It's really sucky to have to be using the onboard video.

Last edited:
I'd RMA the card if you're still within warranty. Otherwise bake it in the oven

So you're saying the card just died randomly like that? It's only 2 months old!

Yeah, many times thats how they go out. You can also try booting the PC (with GPU installed) using a live CD and see if it boots OK.

My laptop GPU went out like that. However it would boot fine until the drivers were loaded then it would hang.

Yeah, many times thats how they go out. You can also try booting the PC (with GPU installed) using a live CD and see if it boots OK.

My laptop GPU went out like that. However it would boot fine until the drivers were loaded then it would hang.

I'd concur with this. Every video card, and even for the most part every piece of hardware, that I've had that "died" always happened during the rebooting or cold boot process. Don't ask me the electrical engineer aspect of why that may be, but I have my theories. From what I've learned and from others is that while the machine is on it an electrical current flowing, but when you stop that (i.e. turn it off) it loses that connection obviously, and trying to get it back is where the problem usually lies. Sometimes cleaning the connectors can resolve the problem, other times it's something much deeper.

I don't know if that's true or not, but it sounds logical to some extent not being an engineer and it just so happens most hardware I've had died a similar death. Worked fine until I stopped everything. There's still a pretty big debate people have on whether cold booting is bad on your machine adding unnecessary wear and tear. I personally think it does but that's just me being paranoid.

I'd also recommend trying the card on someone else's machine to verify it's the video card if at all possible. If it works on another persons machine then you know its a much deeper problem.

Well, the problem gets stranger. I plugged the card into another computer and it powered up fine. The other computer didn't have PCI-E power so I had to use an adapter.

I tried the adapter in mine also , but it failed.
The PSU I have is supplying all of the necessary power though.

Try a different slot on the motherboard. Maybe the slot has gone bad. I have no idea how that happens, but it does apparently. I wonder if a different gfx card would also have problems in the same suddenly problematic setup.

Actually, this board has only one 16x slot. Model number is 785g-e53. I guess it might be time to replace it.

I'd RMA the card if you're still within warranty.
GrE9Vf

Spammer. If you click on public profile -> find all posts, you can see a blocked link on each post.

Back