Very strange problem and don't know where to post here.

Airbrushkid

2[H]4U
Ok my spec's are in my sig. Today I had a crash. first it showed that display drivers stopped working. I rebooted and had problems with mouse, Went into safemode things where find. But then I got a BSOD usb bug mode.I shut computer so it had no power. Rebooted and everything was find for and hour or so. Then got display driver stopped working again 2 times. I have up to date drivers and everything is always up to date. Next just moments ago a black screen.Had to reboot again. Can someone help me? I have no Ideal what it is.

Thanks for any help.

heat is the most likely issue.
Check all fans and vents and redo the heatsink compound on everything.
While doing so reseat everything including cables and vid card.
Smell the powersupply for a burnt smell.
Boot to a memtest disk and let it run for 2-3 hours to check the ram which is the next possibility.
still crash?
Then consider it could be the vid card or powersupply.

I did have this same problem awhile ago when I had my GTX 285's installed in sli. I replaced them with brand new Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 gig cards and the Antec 1200 is running fine. Right now it has been running firn for about 3 hours or more. But I did take it out of surround mode and put it so it is just running all displays.

Sounds like what I had with my video cards, I could game for hours and then once back in Windows, it would crash on me. Even opening Task Manager would cause a crash. I broke my SLI pulled out one card, went in to a game for 2 hours and then back to desktop and didn't crash. Tried with the second card and got driver stopped working, black screen and recovered.

Going to get my RMA'ed card in a few hours, otherwise maybe PSU can't handle the strain.

When I was building a new computer a couple months ago I was having some strange problems as well. In the end I realized that my PSU could not handle my new parts. I don't know if your PSU is at fault in this situation but it is always something you could try. How many watts is your PSU rated for?

Last edited:
1200 watts. it's been working fine now since my last post in this thread. I had to do a restore because of another crash. Now no signs of the driver problem yet.

I was getting errors similar to yours. First I checked the video driver, then the ram and in the long run I determined it was the video card overheating. I just re-applied the thermal compound and got a better heat-sink. If it happens again you might want to check your video card's temp's.

Back