• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Very small 9800pro OC, is it normal?

rcf1987

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Messages
3,759
My 9800pro has a VGA silencer rev. 3 on it and it is only able to OC to a 400 core this is the first time I have ever tried an OC and I have never had any problems. It is a r350 core but still is that normal. I don't OC the memory because there are no ramsinks on it don't wanna damage anything. I don't have anything in the area of AS5 or a crappy equal so I would have to buy some if you think I should reapply the heat goop.
 
I had a 9800 Pro too and I was hard pressed to even get 400 MHz out of the core, and hardly jack out of the ram. I don't think these ever overclocked well in the mainstream....I was using stock cooling, but nevertheless, that was my experience as well as that of a few other people I know, so I think that's pretty normal.
 
I used two different 9800 cards in the past. One was a pro that only OCed to 396MHz. The other was a nonpro that OCed to 420MHz. It is just luck of the draw. Also, make sure your silencer is actually touching the core. I used one that didn't have the reief cut for the core and thus never made good contact (until I modified it).
 
Try checking on the net for instructions on how to volt mod your card. This requires fairly good soldering skills to do. It involves installing a pot on the card to adjust the Vcore of the GPU. Got me about 50mhz more out of my 9800 when i did it. When I moved that card to another computer I reflashed the Bios to stock and removed the pot. Still works perfect to this day. Just be careful with the voltages! I think 1.9V or so is about the limit on air.

Rick
 
R350 cores often couldn't hit 412MHz, the default XT speed. That's why they needed the necessary revisions for R360.
 
Back
Top