Very slow internet with intel dual gigabit card.

munkle

[H]F Junkie
So I have this mobo. Using the two onboard gigabit ports I get full speed. I bought this card but not from there, from ebay. With the intel card I only get 1mb of speed max. While on the onboard broadcom I get 20mb (which is my internet speed). I have tried the card both in pfsense (the beta) and clearos and I get the same results. The motherboard I have has dead usb ports but I wouldn't think that would affect the card because the onboard ethernet and the card both run on the pci-x bus. Not to sure whats going on?

what model Intel card? have you tried different drivers or an alternate PCI slot? if you try the card in another computer, does the issue follow the card?

what model Intel card? have you tried different drivers or an alternate PCI slot? if you try the card in another computer, does the issue follow the card?

The model of card is in the link (PWLA8492MT), so is the mobo and there is only one pci-x slot on the mobo and I don't have another mobo with a pci-x slot.

Have you tried it in a windows machine? Perhaps the card is defective?

Have you tried it in a windows machine? Perhaps the card is defective?

I guess I will try to install windows on the machine, I don't know if win7 will support the board but supermicro says xp is supported.

Well I'm guessing it is the mobo now, xp install would freeze and so does the win 7 install disk.

That sucks, RMA or is it too old?

I bought it off ebay and already informed the seller of the dead usb ports (my guess is bad packaging that they died) we agreed on a partial refund (on sat) but I sent him an email asking if he had another mobo to exchange this for because more than the usb ports are dead and I will send him an anti-static bag to ship it in. It was only $25 so not to big a loss, I already had all the ram for it and a cpu.

Depending on the CPU and Ram you're using a replacement board, just to get you up and running, should be fairly cheap.

Just a thought. What are you using as a intermediate to test your connection speed? You don't happen to be running a really old hub do you? :p

No, it's straight up to the cable modem.

how much of the equipment you have is known-good? is this card the only link in the chain that is questionable? maybe a driver issue?

also, where are you getting your speed numbers? is this the reported link speed of the device, or is this a throughput reading from somewhere (like an internet speed test website)? if possible, always eliminate your ISP as a variable in bandwidth tests, using speakeasy.com or similar sites are almost always inconsistent at best over a given time span, which is due to external network conditions out of your control.

it would be best to setup a bandwidth test between two local computers, with your network equipment being tested (like a pfsense box) in between them. this will give much more useful and consistent information.

how much of the equipment you have is known-good? is this card the only link in the chain that is questionable? maybe a driver issue?

also, where are you getting your speed numbers? is this the reported link speed of the device, or is this a throughput reading from somewhere (like an internet speed test website)? if possible, always eliminate your ISP as a variable in bandwidth tests, using speakeasy.com or similar sites are almost always inconsistent at best over a given time span, which is due to external network conditions out of your control.

it would be best to setup a bandwidth test between two local computers, with your network equipment being tested (like a pfsense box) in between them. this will give much more useful and consistent information.

im getting my speed reports from broadband reports if i test to sprint at chicago i will always get around 20mb, with the intel card in the mobo I get 1.5mb max. The card was a working server pull and shipped very well, but still could be questionable, the mobo is questionable as the usb ports are dead which indicates a problem with the chipset. Cpu/ram/hdd/psu are all known good. The mobo is listed as win xp comaptible but the install disc just hangs and the intel nic isn't inserted either. I'm guessing its a mobo problem, but I don't have another pci-x mobo that I can test the card in.

a lot of the time the USB is operated by the southbridge chip, which normally controls other periperals like onboard audio, ethernet, firewire, etc. and the southbridge routes this traffic over a few PCIe lanes (for PCIe equiped boards) to the northbridge, then on to the rest of the core components. it is possible that only the USB portion got screwed up somehow, though it is equally as likely that whatever damage there is would effect other things running in the same area, like ethernet. which isnt the case here apparently.

since you cant test the card in another computer, can you do some local file transfer speed tests using both the on-board and add-on ethernet cards? this eliminates the unknown of the internet, while your test numbers do seem to indicate a problem, ruling out one more variable is always helpful.

what is the link speed that you are getting when you use that card? (like in windows it says Connection :100Mbps or 1Gbps in the status of the network adapter) is it for some reason defaulting to a 10Mbps link? is there an on-board boot rom on the card that has settings you can change; settings that might still be there from the previous user?

Back