Very Slow/Hanging Downloads In Vista

Vundu

n00b
Bit of a strange one this. First time I put Vista (Ultimate) on I used the upgrade option from XP, everything worked fine including my downloads.

My HDD failed so I replaced it and clean installed Vista. Now my downloads are very slow and hang all the time. I get around 40k for about 10 secs then they hang and stop (I usually get around 500k). Browsing is fine and Bittorrent traffic is slow (around 100k) but at least it does not hang.

My PC connects straight to the Router via the LAN port. My brothers PC which connects wirelessly and runs Vista is fine.

I have tried disabling IPv6, manually assigning a IP address etc. in the network settings but cannot solve it.

When it upgraded from XP it was fine so must of carried my settings over from XP which worked but when I did the clean install no settings have moved across so must be missing something.

Thanks in advance.

http://members.cox.net/br0adband/Vista_Slow_Transfer_Hotfixes.zip

There are the x86 and x64 hotfixes for some peculiar Vista transfer issues. Digitally signed by Microsoft, but if you're not the trusting kind you can get more info from:

http://www.vistasp1.net (info here) or TheHotFixShare (actual downloads here, same files)

KB article 931770 details the patches, but you can't get them from Microsoft without a phone call. <hint, hint> someone took care of that for you. They'll be included in Vista SP1 also so they're *safe* to install now. They may or may not help resolve the issues you're having.

Also, in Vista, most of the stuff on the network adapter is useless and just more than needs to be there. I recommend that people uncheck:

- QoS support
- TCP/IP IPv6 support
- both the Link Topology addons also

That should leave you with just these three enabled:

- Client for Microsoft Networks
- File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
- TCP/IP IPv4

In testing myself, with my own hardware, and in testing for about 129 clients so far that have random disconnects and slow transfer issues, disabling all the CRAP Microsoft has added to the network stack has rid them (and myself) of the disconnects. Also, if you're using a router of any kind that supports UPnP, disable it on the router - Vista can't manage that for shit.

Hope this helps...

Cheers mate, will try that when I get home from work so fingers crossed.

Sounds like it's tcp window scaling
The default for IE is 1, while other apps under Vista are set to scale 9, this causes issues depending on the network.

To disable this Vista "feature" so scaling is set to 1.

1. Click Start , click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Turned out to be an updated driver for my onboard LAN that Windows Update gave me. I rolled back to the driver that Vista installed when I installed Vista and it works fine.

Thanks for the help though guys.

Back