• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Very simple question about USB headsets

Cali3350

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 22, 2002
Messages
4,701
Sorry to ask this question but I have been looking for clarification and Google is not the best at finding the information I need in this case, you guys are :)

USB headsets completely bypass all sound processing on the computer they are plugged into, correct? In this case they MUST have a hardware codec of some kind built into them. This is where I get confused. Are these the same as ones used in onboard sound modified slightly to accept a USB signal, or something different? How powerful are these codecs?

Or is there no hardware at all and its all done in software, which means software updates actually change behavior? Ive never understood this and am curious. I am looking for a nice pair of headphones for use when others are watching TV (I am not a audiophile, I do not need anything fancy).
 
Yes, there are USB codecs inside. These are single-chip solutions for USB audio incorporating both DAC and ADC - these are literally 'do it all in a chip' solutions - they have audio i/o, DSP controls including EQ, etc and of course the logic to interface with USB.

AFAIK, some - such as the codec on the G35 - have logic to allow regular speakers (when properly ported) to emulate subwoofers without overloading the speakers / audio.

Even in 'Dolby Headphone' etc systems, these are usually stereo codecs. The multichannel HTRF stuff is usually handled in software - and I believe Logitech demonstrated with the G35 that the lag this introduced was about 1 frame on a fairly low-end system.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top