Very satisfied with Evga 9800 GT

Anthroc

Limp Gawd
$99.99 - evga 9800 gt
$24.99 - accelero s1 rev.2
$9.99 - s1 turbo module

approx $150 after taxes & shipping
for under $150 in Canada you can't get very much.

I've scored 14700 in 3mark06 with a good OC... and i feel like i haven't even pushed it to the limit... i'm confident that this single card system can break the 15000 barrier.
Currently keeping my system at a very comfortable clocks for stability, scoring a 12500 in 3dmark06.
I don't need to really push it any farther right now.

I didn't think my system performance would be this good. I've only got 1 cpu fan and the 2 small turbo module fans... no system fans. The system is quiet as hell, all i hear is my HDD.

Idle temps are around 40c for both cpu and gpu.. after a 2hrs full load the gpu is at 55c and the cpu is just under 60c.

If you have the time and patience to install and aftermarket cooler, the 9800 GT is a really sweet deal. My games have never looked better.
The stock cooler is crap. 60c idle and 80c load. The small fan emits a high pitch whine and there is absolutely no headroom for OC. I've yet to test it on the big boys like Crysis, but i'm pretty confident that it'll pull through at reasonable framerates.

I just wanted to extend my thanks for all the help. I'll be posting pics later today.

borrowed my roomies million dolla' camera, hence the crispiness..

evga9800GTnaked.jpg

1. naked evga 9800 gt with some arctic cooling ramsinks, stock cooler in bg, typical g92 core we're all familiar with. as far as sticking the ramsinks on, evga recommends rubbing the chips with an eraser after a quick isopropyl cleaning. lo' and behold it worked.

acceleross1.jpg

2. the underbelly of the accelero s1 rev.2, this thing adds 25% of the original cards width to it, so people with thin cases beware!

turbomodule.jpg

3. yonder turbo module fans. got them running at 100% and they're barely audible, props arctic cooling

9800gtaccelerocase.jpg

4. finished product. the ever appealing look of bare chips and huge aftermarket cooling solutions dangling from them.. mmm

q66009800gtcaseshot.jpg

5. organs of the little demon, vroom vroom (dust me!)

k thx.

Good job, I love the Accelero S1... it's just so cheap and yet so effective!

I've still got my original Accelero S1 sitting in my heatsink/fan bin being unused - it won't fit on my GTX280. :D

What clock speeds is your card at? I am getting low 12xxx number with a stock 8800GT (same hardware as a 9800GT), curious how far you had to push it to get close to 15K

My peak score was done with 3.2ghz oc. 5-5-5-18 on the ram for stability. As for the card I pumped up the voltage and got it running at 730/1900/1100.

You have to flash your bios
and you can only do so much more voltage
i plan on doing it but gotta read a bit more on it.

use NVflash i believe.

What's the safe voltage limits on the 88/9800GT's? Currently mine runs at 1.1v and I'm able to push it to 700/1850/1000. Anything over 700 on the core and I get driver crashes in games, but 3dmark06 runs flawlessly. Gigabyte was so kind to include software voltage control on their cards, so no flashing for me. I just don't want to fry the card.

And for the life of me I can't figure out why my 3dmark06 score went down by almost 2000 points. With my current setup I used to get over 14k, now I'm in the mid 12k realm, and I changed nothing other than vid drivers.

What's the safe voltage limits on the 88/9800GT's? Currently mine runs at 1.1v and I'm able to push it to 700/1850/1000. Anything over 700 on the core and I get driver crashes in games, but 3dmark06 runs flawlessly. Gigabyte was so kind to include software voltage control on their cards, so no flashing for me. I just don't want to fry the card.

And for the life of me I can't figure out why my 3dmark06 score went down by almost 2000 points. With my current setup I used to get over 14k, now I'm in the mid 12k realm, and I changed nothing other than vid drivers.
Which software are you using for the voltage control? I've got a GB 8800GT as well. Is it the stuff included on the (long-lost!) driver CD?

Thanks for the reply.

The reason i want to increase my voltage is because i ran 3Dmark Vantage and i get a score on my gpu's of 10,643. I think that's to low. How can i increase my score. Im running Two EVGA 9800 GT in SLI.

my system:
(CPU1) Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz @ 3000MHz
( XFX XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLI mainboard)
(RAM) Corsair 8GB, 4X 2GB
(VGA2) NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
(OS) Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate (SP1) 64-bit

Running the latest version of nVidia driver and Direct X 10

Which software are you using for the voltage control? I've got a GB 8800GT as well. Is it the stuff included on the (long-lost!) driver CD?

Gigabyte Gamer HUB. It's software OC'ing for the card. I wouldn't even attemp to use it though, unless you have the GV-NX88T512HPV1 w/ the Zalman VF-830 cooler and Samsung memory. The cards with the older heatpipe cooler and Qmonda memory were flakey and didn't OC well.

i used to use the gigabyte bios to overclock the pci-e slot.. but very little.. if at all..

as for the card oc i use the evga precision tool.. it works really well..

the gigabyte board is really good for oc because if it finds anything it doesnt like it calmly shuts down the system, tires to start a few more times (picture a car with a dead battery) and then just reverts everything to stock clocks and boots up.. which then lets you re-attempt your voltages and clock speeds.. really really really easy oc..

my current 3d mark score is listed below at stock res.. the card is at stock voltage.. and clocks are listed as well.. did this test yesterday,.. :) this card ages well.. lol

for some reason my 3dmark score dropped by about 2000 points...and I don't know why. Even at 3.6 with my cpu and the card clocked to 720/1850/1000 I only score a 12416.....strange....used to score in the 14,000 range with the cpu at 3.0 and the card stock.....drivers maybe?

Time so give Vista a scrubbing anyways. I'll do a fresh install this weekend and see what happens.

I placed artic silver 5 on my "GPU's" and the temp jumped from 49C to 60C, is this normal?
i cleaned off the stock thermal compond and placed a thin layer of artic silver 5 on my GPU's

I have two 9800 GT in SLI

Is there another type of thermal grease i should use for graphics cards?
thanks!

I placed artic silver 5 on my "GPU's" and the temp jumped from 49C to 60C, is this normal?
i cleaned off the stock thermal compond and placed a thin layer of artic silver 5 on my GPU's

I have two 9800 GT in SLI

Is there another type of thermal grease i should use for graphics cards?
thanks!

I generally stay away from AS5 for GPU's simply because it's slightly capacitive. If you get any at all on the pins/traces it could cause some problems. But as far as it not performing good, that shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure you are putting enough on

Try some MX-2 if you like.

What clock speeds is your card at? I am getting low 12xxx number with a stock 8800GT (same hardware as a 9800GT), curious how far you had to push it to get close to 15K

I'm with this guy, how are you nearing 15K?

I don't know how you got 14700, here;s is what i got

My card OC is higher than yours

Capture018.jpg

How are you getting 803 mhz for your GPU. :confused:

Are you using the stock heatsink or another heatsink for your graphics card?

I generally stay away from AS5 for GPU's simply because it's slightly capacitive. If you get any at all on the pins/traces it could cause some problems. But as far as it not performing good, that shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure you are putting enough on

More often than not, people apply more than is required. You should only have a thin layer of TIM which is barely visible.

Is artic cooling MX-2 Better then arctic silver 5?

I resolved my issue.

I bought some Antec Formula 5

Applied it on both cards, took about a day to start breaking in and already my video cards both idle at 36 C.

That's a big difference. =] from 60 C :D

Question guys!

I overclocked my 9800 gt , however when i overclock the video card (713mhz) my games start running slower, and i get less FPS. When i leave it at stock (650mhz) it runs real smooth and my FPS are decent.

Any clue why this is? or am i doing something wrong?:confused:

Back