• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

VERY quick question about putting new CPU in

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 17, 2007
Messages
1,697
So i bought a Q9550 to replace my E5200 in my current rig. I am just curious how i should go about dealing with the bios once i put my new CPU in? I have heard some comments on here about people putting a new CPU in a already setup computer and having buggy issues until they reset the bios/cmos or w/e. I have already been told you just put the cpu in, boot the comp, go into bios, and hit "optimize bios settings" but i am just double checking. :) thanks guys
 
This is true. The only time you need to worry about manually clearing the CMOS is when you put the CPU in and the computer doesn't boot. If it boots then just load optimized defaults and tweak away.
 
If you have to reset to default/optimized, make sure the settings are correct for your new CPU. I was >||< close to being pretty upset when I put my 930 in my new UD3R because default voltage was too low for the CPU and RAM. Once I was able to figure out the problem, I made a quick fix and have been very happy. Those little things suck sometimes. The lesson learned: Fail safe defaults are not fail safe.
 
If you have to reset to default/optimized, make sure the settings are correct for your new CPU. I was >||< close to being pretty upset when I put my 930 in my new UD3R because default voltage was too low for the CPU and RAM. Once I was able to figure out the problem, I made a quick fix and have been very happy. Those little things suck sometimes. The lesson learned: Fail safe defaults are not fail safe.

This is true. The only time you need to worry about manually clearing the CMOS is when you put the CPU in and the computer doesn't boot. If it boots then just load optimized defaults and tweak away.

Thanks guys. Yeah Woody i have experienced that when i first put my E5200 into my UD3R, it had running at 1.5ghz in the bios, and recently when overclocking it has had my RAM at 800mhz, when it actually is 1066mhz RAM.
 
Back
Top