very odd computer problem...

Snakebyt

[H]ard|Gawd
this one has me stumped, maybe you guys might have some ideas.

Computer will work fine, until i open up world of warcraft, yes i know, i still play that game. Here is where the problems start. the game runs fine as long as i dont touch the keyboard, i can run around with mouse, do anything i want to with the mouse, but as soon as i hit any key on the keyboard, the game freezes and stops responding. I have to force close the game. NOW, once that has happened, i go to chrome, same thing,, i can use mouse, but as soon as i use keyboard, freezes and stops responding. I can open up firefox or palemoon and everything works great. Also, when i hit windows key and try to type anything, it does not take any of the keyboard input. I can reboot and chrome works again, and windows key works again. everything is fine untill i try to run WOW again.

now sometimes i can leave the PC alone and come back later in the day and everything works fine, game will play as normal , no issues. but that is rare that it starts acting normal. I did uninstall the game and reinstall the game and it worked perfectly fine, next morning, fired up the game, same issues.

I have tried different keyboards, i have tried several different usb ports, both rear and front. I have tried to update USB drivers, but windows says i have latest installed and there are none for win 10 on manufacture website. BIOS is up to date.

anything you can think of short of a reinstall of windows?

First hit in Google search for "World of Warcraft keyboard problem".

"I have found the issue for your keyboard not responding!!! the issue is caused by the latest geforce experience driver enabling shadow play for your computer. This causes a bug with warcraft as shadowplay s running over the top of warcraft so your keyboard becomes unresponsive.

if you go into geforce experience and click the shadowplay icon in the top right corner you can switch it off."

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/10831563601
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/10831563601

i dont have geforce experience installed, and its not just an unresponsive keyboard, the game crashes, and that causes chrome to crash as well

I understand it's not your exact problem, but anything that attempts to remap the keyboard may be at fault.

Do you have anything else running that may affect the keyboard? (hotkey apps, programmable keys, etc.)

Try uninstalling anything that's not needed to run the system. (OC & monitoring software, etc.)

It's a software issue oif some kind I'm betting... Wordperfect suite or whatever it is now that has wordperfect causes this exact keyboard issue. Start disabling software until you figure it out.

thanks for the suggestions, i will give them a try. last night was crashing and giving me issues so i went to bed, woke up this morning and it seems to be working fine right now. Very unpredictable

EDIT.. went and ran some errands, back to same problem, nothing at all changed

Last edited:
Try to narrow down any software issues, but I wouldn't rule out a hardware problem yet.
It could be anything. Especially with it changing behavior during the day.

It could be a chipset bus/interrupt problem on the mobo. Not common but I've seen that happen.

Do you have any cards in the mobo slots besides the GPU?

Try uninstalling the keyboard driver in Device Manager and then reboot.

Make sure you have Win-10 updates too.

Back