Very low write speeds - any ideas?

Dark_Cobra

n00b
Hi, was hoping someone might be able to help with this problem please

I have two identical SSDs '1TB AFTERSHOCK NVME GEN4 SSD (R: 4750 | W: 1900)'. In Device manager they show as an 'AS Velocity G4'

Mobo is an ASUS B550 ROG STRIX-F. I decided to do a test and see the C drive is writing very slowly - 10%-20% the speed of the D drive. Do you think this is an issue with the drive? Below are tests for the C and D drives. Thanks for any help

Combined.png

make sure the drives firmware is up to date. make sure the board bios is up to date. and make sure you have the chipset drivers installed. you can also swap their places to see if its the slot.

Is the slow drive nearly full? IIRC most SSDs have a pretty steep drop in performance when they get 80%+ full.

Or maybe TRIM isn't enabled?

Is the slow drive nearly full? IIRC most SSDs have a pretty steep drop in performance when they get 80%+ full.

Or maybe TRIM isn't enabled?
I thought so too, so I cleared a heap of space out. You can see in the image above that the C drive is only 40% full. TRIM is also enabled so I'm stumped!

make sure the drives firmware is up to date. make sure the board bios is up to date. and make sure you have the chipset drivers installed. you can also swap their places to see if its the slot.
Good idea, I will swap them around when I get a chance tonight and report back!

Those may be DRAMless QlC or TLC drives with a SLC cache that is full. It should be working in the background to scavenge the blocks back if that is the case but may have hit an issue. Not familiar with the brand or if they have tools to inspect the drive.

Thanks for the help here. I swapped the drives in the ports and then drive still performed poorly. Interestingly the d drive performed at half speed in the faster slot. Anyway, I've got a new 980 pro now and it's working perfectly. Ty all

It's entirely possible that the internal components on these drives is different, despite being marketed as the same model drive. There is also a big difference between benchmarking a drive you boot from versus a secondary drive. That's a pretty huge difference though.

If you are willing, I'd like to explore this a bit with you. I write SSD reviews as a bit of a side gig, so I am very curious.

pcpartpicker have run into a phenomenon where after they bang at the drive for a while, speeds drop mysteriously and stay down. Might be worth taking a look at their method to see if it rings any bells.

It's entirely possible that the internal components on these drives is different, despite being marketed as the same model drive. There is also a big difference between benchmarking a drive you boot from versus a secondary drive. That's a pretty huge difference though.

If you are willing, I'd like to explore this a bit with you. I write SSD reviews as a bit of a side gig, so I am very curious.
Ding Ding we have a winner. This would be my first guess. Also whats stored on D:?

Back