Very excited about Surface Pro 2

You're laughing at your own joke then because I didn't say ANY Windows tablet outselling iPads but ALL Windows 8/RT tablets, hybrids and convertibles combined, which excludes conventional clamshell touchscreen laptops.

I can see this happening. I came back for my masters earlier this summer and I saw a weird trend. Increasing amounts of Surface Pro and Surface RT tablets, I thought I wouldnt see any really but they keep increasing, a lot of my friends are getting one, classmates I meet want one. I could definitely see the combination beating out a single iPad generation. I myself have bought 2 W8 tablets and neither are cheaper than the most expensive iPads. I do have an iPad myself but its the first gen and I will never buy another because its more of a toy than anything.

Surface pro probably doesn't eat into traditional market for media consumption tablets - they are likely chosen instead of buying ultrabook/small notebook imho.

Surface pro probably doesn't eat into traditional market for media consumption tablets - they are likely chosen instead of buying ultrabook/small notebook imho.

valid point, and accurate to the reason I decided to pick one up (well pre-order, but you get the idea)

Yes content consuming applications don't really want the keyboard and extra faff as it gets in the way on the plane etc and can be done with much cheaper devices.

You're laughing at your own joke then because I didn't say ANY Windows tablet outselling iPads but ALL Windows 8/RT tablets, hybrids and convertibles combined, which excludes conventional clamshell touchscreen laptops.

Well I can play this game to changing the meanings at will. How about outselling Android Tablets.

I have a Surface Pro (I won at conference)and a MSI Windpad and both gather dust cause my phone is more useful. I was supposed to go out and sight in my Scope on the Surface Pro tablet. Unfortunately work got in the way into going to a range. Surface was cool for about days until I realized its all but useless and its stupid shity floppy keyboard which I bought. FYI please don't PM me on selling it I am not interested. Its to heavy as a consumption device and to useless to be used for actual work. That's my opinion. The new I can't stand tablets on the most part I need a keyboard and a trackpad.

Well I can play this game to changing the meanings at will. How about outselling Android Tablets.

Now you're just trolling as I never changed what I said originally about this subject.

FYI please don't PM me on selling it I am not interested. Its to heavy as a consumption device and to useless to be used for actual work. That's my opinion. The new I can't stand tablets on the most part I need a keyboard and a trackpad.

So you have a device that you clearly don't like and could easily sell for a good gain since you didn't pay for it in the first place but don't want to sell it. That's beyond odd.

As far as I can see, the MS did put zero work in the S Pro 2. The MS just put the haswell in it and call it a 2.

As far as I can see, the MS did put zero work in the S Pro 2. The MS just put the haswell in it and call it a 2.

So zero work is upgraded kickstand, screen and cameras? The battery life was the major issue that most had with the device and yes the improvement there is due to Haswell but it's not at all the only improvement to the Pro.

The 1.2 MP camera on the Pro 2 is a huge disappointment. Thankfully I have enough other input/capture devices that I don't care much.

I love my surface pro. I use it mainly for drawing in photoshop.
It's no Wacom (actually technically the digitizer is made be Wacom) though it is great fun to be able to draw on the screen and be portable.

The touch aspect as well as the pen at the edges of the screen gets pretty dodgy and it has the battery life of a potato.

It allows me to seamlessly work between my workstation and portably without dragging a drawing tablet and a laptop around.

If it is as it seems and they have fixed the issues that the first iteration had the I say it sounds like a good buy.
Not for me though. happy with my first edition.

Also, not sure what people want all this storage. I don't know what you are planning on using it for.

Some Surface pro arts done in photoshop by me.

http://www.abload.de/img/mechoverlaydev78nszg.jpg

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2013/250/e/d/training_day___reloaded_by_lateralus_opiate-d6lcby9.png

Last edited:
I'm actually interested in Surface 2 (not Pro2), though I'm going to hold off for the Bay Trail tablet/convertibles before I decide. Gotta see how they actually stack up (as opposed to how they're 'supposed' to stack up).

The Surface Type keyboard is easily my favorite keyboard design for tablets at the moment. (The touch keyboard is absolute crap IMO).

It's light, it doesn't require a separate charger*, and it offers actual, tactile feedback when typing.
*(and more important for my forgetful ass, it doesn't require remembering to charge!)

I don't want a tablet as a 'content consumption' device, but rather as a light content creation device, with the ability to do work (word/excel mainly) while on the road, without having to carry around my MBP (it's amazing how heavy it is after a while).

Getting decent battery life, having a small size is nice**, and having the best keyboard design on the market for a tablet is nice also.
**And the 16:9 while inconvenient in a lot of ways, is damn convenient when you're in steerage on a plane!

I could do office through 365 on an apple or android tablet, but I haven't found a keyboard that I actually find as functional as the type cover. /shrug

I don't need, nor do I have any desire for Pro 2. At all. If I want an ultrabook, I'll buy an ultrabook. I can recognize the purpose of Pro2, but I have no need for it. The Bay Trail tablets/convertibles 'might' have a purpose for me, but only if someone realizes that a separate battery/charger/BT keyboard is NOT the best/most convenient way to do a keyboard on a tablet.

So zero work is upgraded kickstand, screen and cameras? The battery life was the major issue that most had with the device and yes the improvement there is due to Haswell but it's not at all the only improvement to the Pro.

From what I have read, they have also fixed some of the pen issues at the screen edge in addition to the color accuracy upgrades.

The 1.2 MP camera on the Pro 2 is a huge disappointment. Thankfully I have enough other input/capture devices that I don't care much.

Agreed, especially considering the camera in the Surface 2.

I love my surface pro. I use it mainly for drawing in photoshop.
It's no Wacom (actually technically the digitizer is made be Wacom) though it is great fun to be able to draw on the screen and be portable.

The touch aspect as well as the pen at the edges of the screen gets pretty dodgy and it has the battery life of a potato.

It allows me to seamlessly work between my workstation and portably without dragging a drawing tablet and a laptop around.

If it is as it seems and they have fixed the issues that the first iteration had the I say it sounds like a good buy.
Not for me though. happy with my first edition.

Also, not sure what people want all this storage. I don't know what you are planning on using it for.

Some Surface pro arts done in photoshop by me.

http://www.abload.de/img/mechoverlaydev78nszg.jpg

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2013/250/e/d/training_day___reloaded_by_lateralus_opiate-d6lcby9.png

Thanks for the post. It is always nice to hear how people actually use the device as opposed to just talking specs back and forth. It is one of the things I really appreciated when Gabe from Penny Arcade talked about the Surface Pro. I am not an artist and rarely "ink", so it is cool to see those use cases in action.

Now you're just trolling as I never changed what I said originally about this subject.

So you have a device that you clearly don't like and could easily sell for a good gain since you didn't pay for it in the first place but don't want to sell it. That's beyond odd.

Because the device is mine I'll do what ever I want to do to it what I please, including my MS frustrations with my AR15.

Of course you're free to destroy your own property. But that's odd when the property in question has value.

Of course you're free to destroy your own property. But that's odd when the property in question has value.

Lol not everything makes sense in this world. Reading through Wrench00's posts involving you certainly proves that. Also the value of something is what you value it more than what the market values it. I gues in Wrench00's mind its value is a paperweight or 0.

Yea if anything I'm kind of upset they kept the 1.3MP camera. At least bump it up to 2MP.....=/

Why? Who takes pictures with a computer? It's just for skyping/video presentations, imho...

Don't the new cameras have insane low-light performance? I would take that over MP.

How are you guys getting a student discount?
I am on the MS site now about to preorder and don't see anything about it.

Ok, the 10% edu off is a steal. Getting a 128 GB for 900 = yes please! That probably is enough to make me preorder.

Hahahaha.. Microsoft Surface outselling an apple product.. bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Let me continue.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's rich.

The writing is on the wall; in comparison iPads are now low-end devices from a processing point of view.

High-end Windows Tablets are will drop in price in the next 12 - 24 months and there is no Apple tablet o/s in sight that can harness the power Intel will be bringing to the table during that time frame. Will an iPad be able to run GTA5 when it is released for PC's? No... but it "will" run on a new Surface Pro 2...

Apple has lost the tablet war.

The writing is on the wall; in comparison iPads are now low-end devices from a processing point of view.

High-end Windows Tablets are will drop in price in the next 12 - 24 months and there is no Apple tablet o/s in sight that can harness the power Intel will be bringing to the table during that time frame. Will an iPad be able to run GTA5 when it is released for PC's? No... but it "will" run on a new Surface Pro 2...

Apple has lost the tablet war.

you are so wrong, you have no idea. Apple has been winning the Laptop and Tablet sales for years now with almost Linux like game support lol, you think you being able to run GTAV on medium setting on a burning hot 10inch tablet is going to stop millions of women and men want to check their facebook and farmville on the latest coolest apple product?
Think again...

you are so wrong, you have no idea. Apple has been winning the Laptop and Tablet sales for years now with almost Linux like game support lol, you think you being able to run GTAV on medium setting on a burning hot 10inch tablet is going to stop millions of women and men want to check their facebook and farmville on the latest coolest apple product?
Think again...

Apple laptop sales winning? At the high end perhaps but compared to PC laptop sales in general it is a pretty niche market.

Meh, no idea what is being argued.

All I know is that Surface Pro 2 exists, I ordered one, and I will be loving it when I get it at the end of October.

Apple laptop sales winning? At the high end perhaps but compared to PC laptop sales in general it is a pretty niche market.

I am around 2 colleges and work at a major government entity. All I see is Macbook Pro's. From senior engineer's all the way down to 17 year old high school grads it is always a mac. If it is not the bestest newest one, it is a 2-3 year old craigslist one that they picked up for $600-$700. I work with people who choose MBPr to any pc on a daily basis although all not some but almost all of the productivity software that they use requires a windows pc. These people would use parallels and its shitty performance for their work just to be able to own a mac.
Tell me about one Pc manufacturer that sells more laptops for profit.
Dell? Hp? Dell is $13 per share, Hp is barely over $21, apple is $480.
Make your own conclusions.

Make your own conclusions.

As an old saying goes, the plural of anecdote is data:

Code:
Date	Win7	WinXP	MacOSX	Vista	Win8	iOS	Android	Linux	Other
2013-10	51.89	20.83	7.23	4.85	7.61	3.97	1.77	1.11	0.74

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201301-201310

Apple sold 3.9 millions Macs total last quarter, PCs sold at about 76 million last quarter. Apple's money isn't in desktops or laptops but phones these days.

As an old saying goes, the plural of anecdote is data:

Code:
Date	Win7	WinXP	MacOSX	Vista	Win8	iOS	Android	Linux	Other
2013-10	51.89	20.83	7.23	4.85	7.61	3.97	1.77	1.11	0.74

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201301-201310

Apple sold 3.9 millions Macs total last quarter, PCs sold at about 76 million last quarter. Apple's money isn't in desktops or laptops but phones these days.

I wrote a big message here first, which had excellent points and totally made sense but then realized that I was using the 20mil WinXp number from your post for OSX sales..... :/

Colleges and surrounding areas are not representative of the population. Before steve jobs even returned to apple an oddly high percent of teachers and professors used macs. And when apple returned to popularity, these spoiled kids all received high priced apple products.

If you go to a more average town their best buy will have a totally different product landscape and macs wont be as large a part of it. In fact one town I went to, they only sold ipads and phones no actual OSX devices.

That said apple is now doubt growing in market share in the laptop / desktop space.

I have to say the upgrades were a bit underwhelming.

Its basically a Surface 1 Pro with just guts slightly upgraded. I was expecting additional sensors (GPS), better camera, LTE, etc. Basically everything so that the Surface Pro can be my permanent tablet replacement.

if you're looking for a pen device you're probably better off with the Cintiq Companion

as for me i didn't like the keyboard and if it gets recycled i'll be looking elsewhere :(

The one thing I feel it should have is support for WiDi. I would then stop using my iPad when to do presentation and training. Sure, I can use a USB adapter but native support would be great. I will be getting Surface 2 Pro in the early part of next year. I hope i don't have to change my mind due to bad reviews....

Back