Very bizarre behaviorafter SP2 install

pbXassassinX1524

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys, well I finally staked out the 8+ hours it took me to download SP2 and all wen't seemingly pretty well. When I restarted my machine the 1st time it took a bit longer then normal to shut down but I didn't think too much about it. Restarted fine. actually seemed to run a bit faster loading Mozilla.

Then, I forget why, but I rebooted it again a couple minutes later and left to go to the mall. I get back its on the welcome screen and I can't click on anything, num lock was off but they kayboard had power, so did the mouse. So I hit the button on the case for a hard reboot.

Click on the account Icon and it says loading your personal settings, and then locks up. It did this twice, had to hard reboot twice.

After the second time, I got up to grab a drink while it started to reboot but when I got back instead of my motherboard flash screen it had the screen that actually shows you what its doing. Apparently my keyboard went south (that never stopped it from booting before though) and it gave me the normal CPU fan failed message (when I use Q-fan it kind of trips on itself and thinks the fan is dieing) however I didn't hear the POST reporter say it or anything. After that I tried to hit F8 to enter setup, it sends me to the splash screen, I hit F8 again, and it just displays the American megatrends logo and locks up.

At this point I just junked my keyboard and put in a Logitech Elite, no more keyboard error. I get to the welcome screen and AGAIN it locks up, hard reboot.

I go into safe mode successfully, and uninstall the antivirus trial that had just expired on me; thinking someting may be screwy there. Uninstalled fine, rebooted, and it actually logged in this time. The start-up load time was absolutely the slowest thing I have ever seen from this machine, normally all the icons pop up almost simultaneously, this time it took like 3 seconds for each one. (ASUS probe, Zone alarm, Wingman software, quicktime thing, and that stupid windows security thing telling me I dont have an antivirus)

I havn't tried rebooting again yet, things are moving slightly slower then I'm used to, I'm just so confused as to why SP2 would screw up so much.

Anyone know what could have been happening? Thanks!

Supposdly, SP2 does not work with all games, firewalls, etc. Something to do with the Windows firewall. Make sure that is disabled. I would guess that you have another software firewall somewhere. But try that first.

That could be. But when I 1st installed SP2 it detected that I had zone alarm installed. And it didn't even enable the windows firewall to begin with. (it still is disabled now)

Do you think it could have to do with the Antivirus though? I had NOD32 that had just that moment expired when I restarted the machine after SP2 installed.

I think its kind of wierd that my keyboard just stopped being recognised by the motherboard all the sudden too.

Back