• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Very basic Xeon questions

snoberg

n00b
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
2
I'm building a server using a SuperMicro X8ST3-F motherboard, which accepts a single LGA 1366 socket CPU. I'd like to use ECC RAM, so I'd like to get a Xeon. Builds that I've looked at on the web use the Xeon W3550.

I'm a little worried about power usage. The W3550 is a quad-core, single 130W TDP. I don't mind spending a little more if I get that back in electricity savings in the next 6 years that this server will hopefully be in use.

My newbie questions:

Can I use a Xeon E5530 (80W TDP) instead, since the socket is the same?

Are the clock speeds comparable? That is, is a 2.4GHz E5530 faster than a 2.4GHz W3503?
 
I don't see a compelling reason to buy an E5530 (Nehalem) when you can get the E5620 (Westmere) for less money. The motherboard should be able to handle either unless it has an ancient 2 year old BIOS.
 
That's a single server board cpu that. You can't pair it up with another Xeon. May I ask for what purpose will you be using it?
 
Right. I don't want to pair it up with another Xeon. I just want to have a single quad-core CPU. This will be a RHEL6 file server in a SuperMicro SC846 E16-R1200B chassis, probably with a 3Ware 9750-4i.
 
Back
Top