Very bad experience with Ahsay after 1 year providing backups to clients

mephistopoa

Weaksauce
Hi there,

I work for an IT company and we outsource IT services for several other companies, small and medium sized business 50-250 users and we have been using Ahsay for nearly all of them for quite some time as tape backups were so old school to use these days having ADSL2+ and fiber lines widely available so we decided to use Ahsay to resolve this.

So far, to do the very basics like a file backup over the line, the software sort of works well but try to get to an exchange database or a VMware backup and you nightmare will begin. As soon you need a quick resolution of problems their support turns out to be more sluggish than ever! They are base in HK and I get my emails answered always with 1-2 days of delay (I'm based in London) and I have always to get back and forth several times with dummy emails to get the matter resolved, this takes time, money and patience! lots of patience!

I'm trying to resolve VMware bakup problems for a couple of months already, talking to the developers and nothing has been resolved. Always the best answer they give you is "can you runn a full backup to external disk and load on the backup server?" F*** ME!

If I was looking for a crap solution that gives you once a month a chance to go on site when not needed to grab a coffee, I would simply use NT backup then and backup to USB disk and rather not pay Ahsay a damn for licenses.

I'm now using Veeam for VMware backups on a few clients, what a AWESOME solution, works with VMware vStorage APIs, just very good and polished.

Ahsay in the other hand, back up the VMDK files without regards to what it is, actually it simply looks as it downloads the VMDK files over SSH and send it away, it is the only software I know that needs SSH enabled on a ESXi server to access the virtual machines, so LAME!

I'm trying to get things resolved and wasting a bit more time with Ahsay at this right moment, and probably what will happen is that I'll need to ask for my money back for the VMware backup licenses I bought from them.

Please be aware of this, don't fall into the same trap as I did!

I'll post more stuff here as they go with Ahsay on the next following days, please share your experiences with them here so other people can be aware of how crap their solution is and avoid getting into a trap!

Thanks for the heads up here. Im using a solutions from Datto. It has an inhouse server with cloud hosting ( backs up to two different data centers). It is very powerful and I believe is full featured as far as virtual hosts.

Ashay and Vembu have notorious reputation for having a hard time to manage and rely on... You may want to look at more vetted solutions like Novastor's NovaBACKUP xSP (www.novastor.com) or Asigra's Cloudbackup (www.asigra.com) product. Both I have personally supported, deployed, and managed and both are solid products to build a backup service provider business around. The biggest thing that you need to undrestand is what your average customer's requirements look like and either of those two solutions will work for you.

If you need help with looking at a migration path between either solution let me know and I would be more than happy to help point you in the right direction.

Back