• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

vertically mounted DVD/CD

wizzackr

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 5, 2000
Messages
1,579
possible? i was wondering: almost ALL DVDR/RW/CDR/RW-and-whatever-other-extension-exists have these little plastic bits that should prevent the CD from falling off the tray if the drive is mounted vertically instead of horizontally. has anyone experience with this and can tell me if this method sucks (too much hassle when inserting a cd and such)? doesn't the PS2 unse these little things too if placed vertically?
 
Yes, I have a PS2 in the vertical configuration right now. It's a bit troublesome to load the game discs because you can't just rely on gravity to align the disc as you normally would. In terms of reliability, the discs load every time without any issues, and they never fall out during loading/unloading. I would imagine that you would have similar experiences with any computer optical drive as well.
 
My dad's PC uses a pretty small sized case that has one vertically aligned 5.25" slot.

The CD Burner is in that slot and in my experience, it's pretty much nothing to worry about. It'll load and unload properly and its just as easy to pop a CD onto the tray.
 
make sure that if you havent bought it yet that It does have the little tabs, because some drives dont have them.
 
even better just get a slot load drive and you wont have anything to worry about
 
Originally posted by gigglebyte
even better just get a slot load drive and you wont have anything to worry about

that's what i thought, but i couldn't find any DVD-burner that slot-loads
 
You can spend ~$300 and get a slower notebook size DVD burner (lol)
The only vertical DVD drives I know of is one from Pioneer and an older TDK drive.
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=5&currency=2

Either way I would caution that my PS2 is close to being functually dead from setting it up vertically, the laser is giving me heavy disk reader errors and I just hope that I can ship of to Sony to get it fixed.
 
Back
Top