Vertical Sync [Vsync]

I can't imagine why anyone would enable neat (sometimes obscure) graphical tricks like antialiasing and anisotropic filtering and leave their cards with the task of displaying whatever partially-overlapping frames they see fit.

The point of vertical sync is to tie the GPU to each monitor's differing capabilities. On my 60hz Cinema Display, I've noted extensive tearing at 60fps, beyond 60fps and below, yielding any game simply unplayable. I leave vertical sync on because it's intended to be left on.

I think the 'mouse lag' is simply the perception of difference by users who have consistently been told to play with vsync off, have done so for a long time and have only flicked vsync on just to see the end result. If someone has been playing one game with the same settings with vertical sync off for months, even years, changing any variable is certain to hurt one's performance online. If you get any obsessed CS:S player to change their mouse speed from whatever to whatever minus two, they aren't going to end up being a happy camper.

If you've been bred to race Ferraris, you're not going to enjoy having to drive a Lotus in one race.

Well, I totally agree with LCDs. High refreshes do help me deal with tearing though. Doom Engine games like Quake flip my monitor to 60Hz. Then the tearing is as bad as LCDs for me. :mad: But for that game you can do triple buffering if you want.

BF2 I certainly feel the sluggishness. So for that game I just 'er rip.

thats my glock different skin. and of course it does not stay that high it fluctuates, and it seem to stay about the same with vsync on, but like i said earlier it was costing me kills, it wasnt the bad hitboxes, i also agree with the other poster it probably varies from game to game, im not gonna give up on vsync ill continue to do test.

appreciate everyones time and info. -dav3

dwilson041781 said:
Should I keep Vsync On or Off?
ANSWER
Frame rates will appear higher with vsync off but the amount of information displayed is limited by your monitor in that instance. A monitor with an 85 Hz refresh rate will only display 85 frames per second even if the videocard is rendering 400 frames a second. The visual quality may decline as a result also because some frames could be skipped as a result of excess rendering so the interpolation between the first frame and the next frame displayed could be off resulting in 'tearing' or jerkiness.

With vsync enabled, the refresh is either at the rate of the monitor, or a fraction thereof.
75hz refresh with vsync enabled may yield 75 frames per second.

It may also yield 37.5 frames per second. If the new frames are consistently not ready for display at each refresh, they're delayed until the next refresh, which can end up halve your frame rate, or worse.

and as far as 100+fps when i play CS:s i use cl_showfps 2 and show 100+ at times and yes it fluctuates, and another thing when i do stress test i get 109fps with minimal AA and AF.

another thing is i think it may depend on what game your playing and whether the game is a Online game.

Ok, if the card is "consistently" not able to render a frame in time, that means it simply cant perform at 75fps at all. Of course that also means even with VSync disabled it's still going to be unable to perform at 75fps. Probably wont even be close. So performance isn't really going to be cut in half.

But the key is the info says the card has to consistently fail to meet the required speed for you to actually see this serious performance degrade.
Now what I want to know is does anyone here see a serious cut in FPS for any modern game with their non-'brand spankin new'/SLI type hardware? I know many last gen or older cards are not capable of running most of the new games at 85fps. But I also know I dont see my FPS dropping to half because of it. If I get 60fps with VSync on, guess what I get with it off? 60fps.

Texuspete, thats cool you have been around the block. I have also been around the block and have tested plenty of cards in plenty of games dating all the way back to my Rendition v1000/Voodoo1 setup. I just have yet to see any game FPS get cut in half by VSync being enabled on any recent card (I dont even remember having problems a long time ago either). Just because it can technically happen due to the way VSync works, doesnt mean it actually will (unless you just have one hell of an old ass card).
What games do I get well over 100fps in? None of the new games at the moment, but I did in plenty of the older ones, and my refresh rate is 85hz.. Oh yeah, I also dont play any games at 1600x1200.. I still prefer 1024x768. :)
Oh, and I certainly never have mouse lag (boy would that have killed some CAL matches lol).

Just saying, look at the [H] graphs with fame rate over time in your latest games. Imagine your vsync points. Games spend the majority of time below your refresh rate. Why most people will just say it's halving. WIth say 75Hz, the majority of your time will be 38 fps or so average. I know BF2 on my 60Hz 2405 was damn near pegged at 30fps but I lived with it because I had too.

Not saying to not use vsync. Some people didn't know what vsync does at all.

i tried and was getting jumpy screens and be slightly somewhere else to the left or right etc.., so not for bf2, and CS:s thus far for me.

dwilson041781 said:
i tried and was getting jumpy screens and be slightly somewhere else to the left or right etc.., so not for bf2, and CS:s thus far for me.

can u show us a video?

probably use fraps unless i can find a command for in game recording like steams record example.dem feature.

and for guy who wrote why enable things like AA and AF, thats why we buy expensive video cards Anti aliasing gets rid of all the jaggies, and AF makes textures oh so sweet.

found this http://forums.rojakpot.com/showthread.php?p=263648#post263648

good explanation on Vsync and why u might also want to use Triple buffering.

I cant play games without vsync, i hate tearing. Thats why i built myself a computer that will give me a minimum of 85 fps all the time in any game i play. And games i cant...aka fear( dips into the 60s for me) i bring my monitors refresh rate up to 150 and then i bearly see tearing, but nothing is better than vsync and monitor at 85. My rig:

AMD FX-55 @ 2.9
DFI Ultra-D @ 250 fsb
X1900XTX
2x512 OCZ platinum Rev. 2 @ 500 1:1
3x80 gig Sata HD in Raid 0
21'' sony trinitron

Supasso said:
Here is how frame buffer works. The card renders to the back buffer, and whether or not the frame is finished drawing, the back buffer will be flipped to the front buffer (what you see on screen) every 1/60 second (given that the refresh rate is at 60hz). You will get the tearing every time the back buffer is flipped to the front before an entire frame is finished or when an entire frame is finished but being rendered over with a newer frame(s).

Thats just wrong, the buffers are flipped whenever the frame is finished drawing.

and for guy who wrote why enable things like AA and AF, thats why we buy expensive video cards Anti aliasing gets rid of all the jaggies, and AF makes textures oh so sweet.

So, your textures are sharp and clear, and your jagged edges are super-finely multisampled and jittered, but what you actually end up seeing is a constant barrage of full-screen tearing. If that's what best suits your tastes, go for it. But I'll choose seeing only 40-60 whole frames every second instead of a mish-mash of 480 good frames and 8 "bad" ones.

well on my intel gma 900 with vsync off in normal cs i can get up to 220 fps (i dont use that though)

earlier, and ill be getting video of both, and will upload sometime tomorrow rather than tonight its late, and time to game some CS:s, just got done with some bf2.

xfire name eosdav3 hit me up sometime, well play, ill pwn, it will be fun. :p

Dead thread revival!! yay!!!

Something I didn't see addressed was that if you are running on an LCD monitor with a refresh rate of , say 60hz, and you do NOT have vsync on, you're going to notice some tearing or jerkiness until you get to 120fps in the game. if you can keep the game locked at 120fps, the game should be pretty smooth looking, as though you had vsync on, but without the mouse lag caused by vsync sometimes. This should be noted that the 120fps being smooth idea is not 100%. There are timing issues involved as well. If it's not perfectly timed with your monitor refresh, it'll still be off just a hair. 120fps is just the threshhold where it should begin looking really smooth.
Again, if you're running at 75hz, then 150fps would be your threshold.

I prefer running vsync on in some games where it higher fps doesn't matter, but I have a huge mouse lag that cannot be corrected apparently :p

Dead thread revival!! yay!!!

Something I didn't see addressed was that if you are running on an LCD monitor with a refresh rate of , say 60hz, and you do NOT have vsync on, you're going to notice some tearing or jerkiness until you get to 120fps in the game. if you can keep the game locked at 120fps, the game should be pretty smooth looking, as though you had vsync on, but without the mouse lag caused by vsync sometimes. This should be noted that the 120fps being smooth idea is not 100%. There are timing issues involved as well. If it's not perfectly timed with your monitor refresh, it'll still be off just a hair. 120fps is just the threshhold where it should begin looking really smooth.
Again, if you're running at 75hz, then 150fps would be your threshold.

I prefer running vsync on in some games where it higher fps doesn't matter, but I have a huge mouse lag that cannot be corrected apparently :p

FYI: Vsync will drop your FPS slightly in games. (i.e. Crysis, since most people have trouble with even getting 20+ FPS at very high settings, save some FPS and disable Vsync)

You can usually do it by accesing your graphics adapter options or the game. To access the options, right click desktop > properties > settings > advanced > should lead you to nvidia panel or w/e its called.

I don't get why people want to turn it off anyway. If you're using an LCD, it can only display as many frames as the refresh rate, which is most likely 60.

Back