Vertex 3 performance issues and freezes

3d_compos

n00b
I have a performance issues with my Vertex3. I guess some stability issues too.

I've found a benchmark: http://++++++++++++.com/our-reviews/ocz-vertex-3-240gb-sata-3-ssd-review-hdtune-pro-benchmark

and it says the SDD should have 518 MB/s average read speed.

Here's reference chart from the benchmark. See below:

referencebu.png

But mine has only 313 MB/s and the read rate is very unstable:

reallv.png

Why is it so? The drive is connected to Intel controller. The Marvel controller is disabled. Apart from Vertex I have 4 WDs setup in RAID 10 on Adaptec 2405 controller.

Some additional clues:

I have some stability problems. Computer from time to time freezes. I mean the mouse is working but changes to "wait" state, and I cannot click anything (no response from the GUI). Sometimes it comes to life after several moments, sometimes I have to reboot. I'm not sure if it's a HDD problem, but I guess so.

If it freezes completely then after reboot the SDD is not chosen in BIOS as a booting option. Therefore I have to choose it manually to boot the system again.

Additionally previously I had a RAID 10 setup on my motherboard. It worked fine for some time, then suddenly some strange, unnatural continuous sound (resembling a tractor working) came from the drives and lagging occurred very frequently. Then the on-board Intel RAID driver indicated a disk malfunction and removed the drive from RAID. I checked the drive - it seemed fine. Then I bought a dedicated Adaptec RAID controller and now the RAID with all the drives is working fine on it.

Therefore I am wondering if all of the problems I've been having (on-board RAID crash, stability and now Vertex3 performance) wouldn't have the same cause, for instance some sort of general malfunction of HDDs controllers on my motherboard?

Windows 7 Pro is installed on Vertex 3 (the swap file is on it as well).
RAID-10 is for data storage.

Intel Core i7 2600K 3,40 GHz
ASUS P8P67 EVO R3.0 Intel P67 LGA1155
BE QUIET! DARK POWER PRO P8
KINGSTON HyperX KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX
4x WD Caviar RE4 2 TB WD2003FYYS
1x SSD OCZ Vertex 3 MAX SSD 120GB 550/500 MB/s 75k IOPs
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 590 3072MB DDR5/384bit DVI/HDMI/DP PCI-E
Adaptec 2405 KIT (RAID 10 setup)

Last edited:
They are using a 240GB drive which is faster than your 120GB model.
Upgrade your V3's firmware and hope for the best.

Upgrade the firmware and see if that fixes the issues. If not, I would RMA the drive, as it sounds like something is not working correctly.

Maybe you should sell that piece of crap and get a SSD that you don't see people bitching about every other damn day. :rolleyes:

Yeah because everyone has issues with them... /rollseyes

Yeah because everyone has issues with them... /rollseyes

HIgh enough % we see a LOT of complainers.
Reason enough to stay away.

I for 1 like to use my system not constantly fix faulty hardware ;)

Maybe you should sell that piece of crap and get a SSD that you don't see people bitching about every other damn day. :rolleyes:

Hahahaha... I think they're shit too. 2 generations in a row now (Vertex 2 and Vertex 3), but I didn't want to hurt any feelings. ;)

Well, just one more issue.

The SMART indicates it has temperature of 128 degrees. I touched it and it is obviously false - it has not more than 30 degrees.

That's normal, there is no point in monitoring the temp of an SSD.

Do SSDs even have temp sensors? I just remotely (linux ssh session) checked my Intel 80GB G1 and there is no smart entry for temperature.

Vertex 3's are locked at 128C so no worries there.

As far as the performance goes update to v2.13 firmware and if it still sucks then RMA. What you're seeing isn't the norm.

Back