Vertex 3 120GB MAX IOPS vs 240GB?

Rajveer

Limp Gawd
First off sorry if this has been asked before, seems like something that would have been but I couldn't find anything.

How does the Vertex 3 120GB MAX IOPS perform compared to the standard 240GB version? I'm looking to put one in my laptop and 240GB seems excessive. Anandtech says here that it has twice as many die per NAND device, so should have performance similar to the 240GB, however I'm interested in real world results.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4453/this-just-in-oczs-vertex-3-max-iops-120gb-the-new-midrange-king

I have both standard V3's and mIOPS, and for large database datasets, there is a decrease in transaction time. For Db schemas where you have as many writes (or many more) as reads expecially it can make a difference. Other than that, in real world use as a system drive in a laptop (I have tried both in Lenovo T Series Thhinkpads and Macbook Pros) I have seen zero perceptual difference whatsoever.

Awesome, thanks for that info. I'll be using the drive for the system as well as multiple virtual machines but it sounds like even then, the difference will be negligable.

Honestly though, you will probably only see some differences in benchmarks as opposed to real world differences. They are pretty close in speed for every day tasks and such.

Back