Versus XIII Canceled ...

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
One of many sources ... http://www.shacknews.com/article/74902/report-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-quietly-cancelled

Some sources are saying Versus XIII development and assets were rolled into XV. The stuff I've been reading about FF XV is reporting that it will have the next evolution of combat systems from FF XII LINK Considering that Versus XIII, at least by the look of the trailer, was going to have an 'action-oriented' combat approach, I totally could believe the rumors that Versus XIII and XV are now the same game. It would explain the lack of updates on Versus as well as the news that XV has been in development for 4 years.

I think with the direction XIII-2 went story wise, XIII VS would have a hard time fitting in the same world. In XIII-2 you traveled backwards and forwards through time, so you think you would've fucked with the XIII VS story.

It's probably easier for them to just separate them story wise. The combat was looking interesting, but still needed more refining last trailer I saw. Hopefully they'll keep much of what they worked on.

I think with the direction XIII-2 went story wise, XIII VS would have a hard time fitting in the same world. In XIII-2 you traveled backwards and forwards through time, so you think you would've fucked with the XIII VS story.

It's probably easier for them to just separate them story wise. The combat was looking interesting, but still needed more refining last trailer I saw. Hopefully they'll keep much of what they worked on.

There is a 15 min video that shows a good amount of gameplay & story. It was hard to believe it was the same world honestly. I was fine with that but guess it doesn't matter since it might never be released now.

FFXV rumors:

• Including the concept planning and pre-production phase, the game has already been in development for over 4 years.
• It entered full production in January 2010, a month after FFXIII was released in Japan. Since then it has had a development team of just over 200 people.
• The director is the same person who directed FFVI, FFIX and FFXII.
• The co-director led a small part of the development team to make Tactics Ogre for the PSP in parallel with FFXV. He's currently multi-tasking as lead UI designer of FFXIV 2.0 and co-director of FFXV.
• The game design and battle system will be a major evolution of FFXII.
• The game will be open world and have sprawling, crowd-filled cities on par with Assassin's Creed.
• The battle system now allows you to target different parts of an enemy’s body like in Vagrant Story.
• Yoichi Wada (president of Square Enix) wants the game to have a world scale and volume of content that surpasses The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. He also wants the game to surpass FFVII in worldwide sales and critical reception.

If they pulled all of that off moderately to really well, I'd be buying it in a flash.

Tough for me to have much faith in them at this point. I haven't liked any of the FF games since 9 (although 10 was at least passable).
If they're going in a truly new direction, I'd rather they drop the FF name so they don't make it any more tainted than it already is. Plus, that way if it's good, they can stick to a new franchise name.

As much as I want vs to come out soon, I'm looking forward more to kingdom hearts 3. This is the same developer team that made the KH series, so vs is more like a current gen prototype for the team.

At this rate though, KH 3 will come out just in time for my kids to play it and I'm not even married yet :(

As much as I want vs to come out soon, I'm looking forward more to kingdom hearts 3. This is the same developer team that made the KH series, so vs is more like a current gen prototype for the team.

At this rate though, KH 3 will come out just in time for my kids to play it and I'm not even married yet :(

I've heard good things about the 3DS KH game and it's a true sequel.

If Versus was being developed by 3DRealms or Valve, I would understand it will likely be another 6 years before it is released. However, this game was announced 6 years ago. It either was put on the back burner for a while or it is now a new game.

Anyone know what engine VS is using? I know XIII and XIII-2 used what used to be called the white engine (i think it changed names at release). Is it using the same engine? XIII-2 was spat out pretty quickly from XIII (in rpg development time). I'm wondering whats is holdig VS back.

The White / Luminous / Crystal Tools are apparently the same SDK library just different revisions. The White Engine is confirmed to be renamed the Crystal Tools.

As for FFXV rumors, if Itou is directing the game then I'm pleased as I infinitely preferred the projects Itou worked on more so then then anything Toriyama or Nomura had involvement in.

Also the games Itou worked on were more traditional high fantasy medieval stuff, which I also prefer more so then some of the future / advanced technology FF titles that Toriyama and Nomura have been pushing out lately. Then there is the gameplay systems as well.

FF6, 9, and 12 used traditional combat systems more reminiscent of traditional turned based RPGs of old, if FF15 can have a semblance of that (which many fans have been demanding for a long time now), then this could possibly be the saving grace Square needs to turn the series around from the rut it's in.

Also making a game on the same scale as Skyrim won't really be difficult if you consider that FF12 (A title Itou co-directed under Matsuno) had a fairly large explorable environments, and that was a PlayStation 2 title.

The linear corridor progression that FF13 had doesn't tend to work well and seems to take the sense of adventure and freedom from this sorts of games which I feel is key aspect that should NOT be ignored.

Good.
Get away from the XIII universe and start over. X-2, X-3? They need to stop that crap.
Final Fantasy is NOT a series based on sequels. They need to stop that crap.
And no more androgynous characters. They need to stop that crap.

Good.
Get away from the XIII universe and start over. X-2, X-3? They need to stop that crap.
Final Fantasy is NOT a series based on sequels. They need to stop that crap.
And no more androgynous characters. They need to stop that crap.

The art style of those characters are deeply rooted in japanese culture, similar to the "I work out at the gym 25 hours a day and eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast" type characters in western culture. It's not going to change any time soon.

I'm totally fine with xiii-3 if they make it, they've really refined the paradigm shift system in 2 (although they did a LOT wrong in 2). I don't think I've ever been as drawn in to a turn based/ATB style combat in an rpg. The combat alone is enjoyable enough to overlook some of the other flaws.

What I really want though is a mix of paradigm shifting, stagger/combo mechanic, and free movement action rpg combat (KH style) wrapped in to one. Kind of like DMC3 with on the fly switching, but geared towards com/rav/sen/syn/med/sab roles and staggering enemies.

The art style of those characters are deeply rooted in japanese culture, similar to the "I work out at the gym 25 hours a day and eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast" type characters in western culture. It's not going to change any time soon.

I'm totally fine with xiii-3 if they make it, they've really refined the paradigm shift system in 2 (although they did a LOT wrong in 2). I don't think I've ever been as drawn in to a turn based/ATB style combat in an rpg. The combat alone is enjoyable enough to overlook some of the other flaws.

What I really want though is a mix of paradigm shifting, stagger/combo mechanic, and free movement action rpg combat (KH style) wrapped in to one. Kind of like DMC3 with on the fly switching, but geared towards com/rav/sen/syn/med/sab roles and staggering enemies.

I am very well aware of japanese culture, and that doesnt permiate all media and games like you think. It's 100% the designers at SE doing those designs, the same designs that I don't see in the majority of japanese games i am interested in. If anything games like, big booby girls super extreme fighter EX, are alot more prevelent than anything with androgynous characters. The problem is that with a huge developer like SE, releasing a game, so it seems like its the norm, when infact it is not.

I'm not interested in any game with characters like "I work out at the gym 25 hours a day and eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast", so i cant really relate to that comment. I play MMO's and RPG's, the FF series is the only one I have seen this happen to in such a big way. At least it wasn't the main character.... But I shouldnt shit on them so much, because I am mostly talking about FF12, and it seems they have gotten away from that lately.... so..... whatever.

Eh, waiting on the next Dragon Quest. I only touch the stuff that comes out of the "Enix" branch of Square-Enix.

I want another secret of mana or chrono trigger game damn you squaresoft...squeenix whatever you are lol

Back