Version control for average user, NOT cloud?

Is there any form of version control that is:
1) Usable by the average person - ie, no need to explicitly "check in/out" files and GUI-based reversion of files.
2) NOT part of a cloud software solution
3) Works well with semi-binary files - ie, Adobe Indesign, MS Word, etc.

I know about dropbox, EC2, etc, but I want something that we can run on our servers. VSS is not really "good enough" in terms of user fine-grained control over the file revisions.

Thanks!

our company just implemented Agile

pretty sure you aren't looking for multi thousand dollar mega software though

Sharepoint Foundation 2010.

It's free and if you use the build-in database, it's unlimited in size and user. Very compatible with SQL 2008 if you want multicore and 64-bit scalability. Handles check-in/check-out, can be locked to the intranet if you don't want it available online, and can do versioning, can be set up to alert anyone of changes and new additions to lists or document libraries, permits emailing documents to libraries, and a slew of other useful office features - task schedulers, contact lists, calendar, and many others.

Oh, wow...I completely forgot about sharepoint. We can even afford that (edu license) it sounds perfect - thanks a lot!!

avoid sharepoint like the plague. It will eventually cost you a shitload of money.

Sharepoint Foundation 2010 is entirely free. You'd just need Server 2008 R2 or Server 2008 with SP2 64-bit. AFAIK, Sharepoint is independent from the Server's CAL.

Heck, if you look around online, there's been people who installed SF2010 on Windows Vista and 7 64-bit.

Note that Sharepoint Foundation 2010 is the latest version of Windows Sharepoint Service 3.0 (WSS 3.0) which was also free. Sharepoint Server 2010 is not free, just as Sharepoint Server 2007 wasn't. Confusing, no? :-P

Edit: here's the SF2010 download page

avoid sharepoint like the plague. It will eventually cost you a shitload of money.

I just saw this post. Why do you think Sharepoint will end up costing money? I've been deploying Sharepoint in my company since WSS 2.0 in Small Business Server 2003, upgraded to 3.0, and then migrated to 2010. It can be a pain if you're unwilling to learn and read up on Sharepoint and find tricks and tips online, but it's hardly expensive. Codeplex.com has hundreds of free additions to both paid and free Sharepoint as well.

Back