Verizon Upgrade Help

KevinO

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok I have a crappy phone and it is giving me trouble. I am going to try to take it in to Verizon and see if they will allow me to upgrade early. My upgrade is 4 months away. If for some reason I cannot get it, what is a decent phone that is cheap that I should look for? Thanks.

Note 2, it's pretty cheap at $300 on contract :p.

No, but seriously.. go in debt and get the Note 2, it's worth it, lol.

Seriously though.. get it.

Razr M is probably the best budget phone available on Verizon for $50. I assume you want a smart phone since you didn't specify your old phone or what you were looking for and this is [H] ;).

Go on ebay and look for a used phone. The used CDMA phones are cheap.

And waiting 4 months may be a good thing, as a lot of the new phones are coming out in March or April.

But for now just get an used phone if you don't already have another older Verizon phone.

P.S. The best phone on Verizon is the RAZR Maxx HD. A close second is the Note 2.

P.S. The best phone on Verizon is the RAZR Maxx HD. A close second is the Note 2.

Eh, that's subjective. Dunno if there's a hands down "best phone" on Verizon (or anywhere) with all the different sizes, specs and features they all offer separately. The 3 best phones on Verizon right now are the Note 2, Razr Maxx HD and DNA and they all have their tradeoffs compared to each other. But really the only tradeoff you're getting with the Maxx HD over the Note 2 is the size if you can't handle the Note 2. Battery life might be a tad better, but not by much and you can at least swap batteries in the Note 2 if need be.

Besides, if he's looking for a cheap phone on contract, I doubt he's going to want to blow $200 for a used phone that probably isn't any better than what he has already.

I do agree that if you can wait until you're due for upgrade, there's going to be another generation of phones available around that time. But then again, if you're not even looking to spend $200+ for a phone upgrade and will only be looking at budget phones, then you might as well get one now or maybe wait until the next gen phones come out and the current flagships lower in (subsidized) price.

If I were you - I'd buy a cheapo phone for 50 bucks on ebay if you HAD to have something.... or even a dumb phone if you had to.

I'm with Verizon as well - my upgrade isn't till November of this year... I too am interested in upgrading "early" if they will let me once the Galaxy S4 comes out. (currently on a Galaxy Nexus)

Is there any criteria for allowing a customer to upgrade? I've been the perfect customer (i.e. i pay my bill in full on time every time)

If they do allow an early upgrade - do the roll the difference of the time into your "new" contract? Meaning if I got an early upgrade by 6 months -- would my "new" contract now be for 2 years 6 months?

Verizon will allow you to upgrade early. I did it with my last two phones because they were both pieces of crap.

But don't expect any great prices or discounts. You have to pay I believe $30 for the early upgrade plus full price for whatever phone you choose.

Last upgrade I did was an LG Ally to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus at two months. Cost me around $525 to do it early; I believe.

I believe I'm coming up on my two year anniversary of having the Galaxy Nexus and I don't have any plan on upgrading it. I like this phone. Of course, I'm still waiting on what Samsung's new phones are going to be so I'm hinging my decision on whether to upgrade or not on that.

Eh... weren't you the one who suggest he sinks around $600 on the Note 2?

Eh... did you see that line below that where I stopped joking and recommended the Razr M?

Also, the Note 2 is $300 on contract, which is how OP is planning on getting the phone. I think you missed where he said "cheap" though, which is why I was joking about the Note 2 and don't understand why you even mentioned the Razr HD Maxx. The Razr M is $50 on contract and is really the only decent budget phone available on Verizon unless you want to go with the LG garbage.

Eh... If can buy phones on contract, then he can buy them from Amazon.

For contract extensions,
RAZR M is $0.01
RAZR MAXX is $49.99
Razr Maxx HD is $99.99
Samsung Note 2 is $199.99

Raxr Maxx HD is arguably the better phone and, for a hundred less, it also wins on value.

Updated with other good cheap phones.
I think $100 is worth it to get the best in class in almost everything.

Did not know some of this. Thanks everyone for the advice. I might look into Ebay and Amazon and just hold out. My phone seems to be acting OK today but it is random.

If they are reluctant to upgrade you early make sure to mention how you are thinking of going to (some other carrier) because they will give you a new phone now, and you'll just leave verizon at the end of your contract in a couple months.

Back