Verizon to axe grandfathered unlimited data plans

Are you still scooting by on that Thunderbolt? :p

I would go ahead and upgrade to the Gnex or something and ride out your last contract on unlimited data, esp since you already have to wait another 2 years for your wife's line to expire.

Thats basically where I was so I went and pulled the trigger on a GNex this afternoon even though I really really wanted something with a newer SoC

Are you still scooting by on that Thunderbolt? :p

I would go ahead and upgrade to the Gnex or something and ride out your last contract on unlimited data, esp since you already have to wait another 2 years for your wife's line to expire. I wouldn't be able to get by on the GSM Nexus with only 16 GBs of internal storage and no expandable memory, I'm using about that much on my Verizon Gnex just in backups and stuff from switching ROMs.

I'm hoping that by the time my contracts expire (Dec. 2013 for me and March 2014 for my wife), Google will be selling CDMA Nexus phones unsubsidized in the Play store. Until there's another carrier that has as good as service as Verizon, I'm going to stick it out with them for as long as I can with unlimited data. I doubt I would save much even going to T-Mobile right now. I only pay $130/month for 1400 mins (plus 10 numbers of my choice on the MyCircle thing that are free to call anytime) and unlimited everything else for two smart phones. I have coworkers that are paying more than that on Sprint and AT&T for less service (2 GBs on AT&T and ~700 mins on Sprint).

Yeah, still on my TBolt. The 16GB wouldn't bother me much. I could manage. Honestly, I'm torn right now with how to approach this. Wish I had known this before I got the wife upgraded to the RAZR. I would have just gotten her a One S and moved her to T-Mobile already.

I think this is just another way to control costs.

If you want "unlimited" data - pay more.

I think this is just another way to control costs.

If you want "unlimited" data - pay more.

Verizon isn't profiting more if you buy the phone off-contract though, esp. if you buy the phone through another retailer. Forcing everyone off unlimited data plans, making customers pay more for less service is how they profit.

Thats basically where I was so I went and pulled the trigger on a GNex this afternoon even though I really really wanted something with a newer SoC

I felt the same way about the Nexus and held off picking one up for the same reason until just a few weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with the phone and have even scrapped my plans to ditch it for the S3 when it comes out. Throw it on the T-Mobile plan and do the inductive charging mod and it's a badass setup. Whole new world coming from an Evo 4G on Sprint.

Verizon isn't profiting more if you buy the phone off-contract though, esp. if you buy the phone through another retailer. Forcing everyone off unlimited data plans, making customers pay more for less service is how they profit.
yes absolutely they are. now they're not paying down your phone's cost. Its definitely more of a play to get people off unlimited plans, but the "loss" they're taking on the people who cling to it by buying full-priced phones is somewhat offset by the lack of subsidy

This doesn't surprise me at all. This is why I went to t mobiles $30 a month monthly 4g plan. Even with a 3g phone I get upwards of 6mbps down and 3mbps upload. I have a feeling t mobile is about to get slammed with new customers

yes absolutely they are. now they're not paying down your phone's cost. Its definitely more of a play to get people off unlimited plans, but the "loss" they're taking on the people who cling to it by buying full-priced phones is somewhat offset by the lack of subsidy

Only if you buy the phone through Verizon though. There's several other retailers to buy phones at and most likely at lower prices, so I don't know why you'd do that.

This doesn't surprise me at all. This is why I went to t mobiles $30 a month monthly 4g plan. Even with a 3g phone I get upwards of 6mbps down and 3mbps upload. I have a feeling t mobile is about to get slammed with new customers

That's a good option, it just sucks that you're throttled after 5 GBs on T-Mobile.

Only if you buy the phone through Verizon though. There's several other retailers to buy phones at and most likely at lower prices, so I don't know why you'd do that.
If you don't buy a subsidized handset, they're making more money. This move is forcing people to buy unsubsidized handsets, which will at least partially offset the cost

If you don't buy a subsidized handset, they're making more money. This move is forcing people to buy unsubsidized handsets, which will at least partially offset the cost

How? You're still paying the same amount for the same services afterwords and you're not locked into a contract; which is less guaranteed money that they'll receive from you. If anything, they're potentially making less in the long run because if you decide to leave them at any point, you can do it without paying an ETF any they haven't guaranteed your income for the next two years. Which is why they want to sell you subsidized phones in the first place.

How? You're still paying the same amount for the same services afterwords and you're not locked into a contract; which is less guaranteed money that they'll receive from you. If anything, they're potentially making less in the long run because if you decide to leave them at any point, you can do it without paying an ETF any they haven't guaranteed your income for the next two years. Which is why they want to sell you subsidized phones in the first place.
:facepalm:

The money might not be "guaranteed" like it is with a contract, but they're making more per month. Its not like your plan gets cheaper when your cell phone is "paid off". Plus, they're still pretty much guaranteeing themselves the money because if you've gone through this much trouble to keep your unlimited plan, chances are you're going to stay on it as long as they let you.

but they're making more per month.

3904932487_54cce78f13.jpg

This is where you're confused. You're paying the same per month after the contract expires. So they're not making more and you're not paying more. The same != cheaper. And no they're not still pretty much guaranteeing themselves your business because the next little thing they do to piss you off (like pulling your unlimited data plan) could make you switch carriers on a whim without penalty.

This is where you're confused. You're paying the same per month after the contract expires.

But they're not paying back the subsidy to the manufacturer anymore(or however that system works...). Since they don't lower your bill to account for the lack of a subsidy they are making more off of you.

You're paying the same per month after the contract expires. So they're not making more and you're not paying more.

but their cost is less because they didn't pay for your phone. If they pay $400 for the device, they need to make $400 more dollars before your plan starts making them profits. Until that cost is paid off, they're in the hole. So if you're on a plan for 2 years without a contract and bought an unsubsidized phone, then they make $400 more over that term, plus the profit they make off of the price of the unsubsidized phone if you bought it from them, since they pay a wholesale price.

But they're not paying back the subsidy to the manufacturer anymore(or however that system works...). Since they don't lower your bill to account for the lack of a subsidy they are making more off of you.

but their cost is less because they didn't pay for your phone. If they pay $400 for the device, they need to make $400 more dollars before your plan starts making them profits. Until that cost is paid off, they're in the hole. So if you're on a plan for 2 years without a contract and bought an unsubsidized phone, then they make $400 more over that term, plus the profit they make off of the price of the unsubsidized phone if you bought it from them, since they pay a wholesale price.

I'm sure they would have payed off that subsidy within the first 6 months of your contract though, esp. if you're paying the retarded prices they're charging nowadays for normal service on top of the additional "upgrade" fees and other BS. I highly doubt it takes the full contract to make up for the ~$350 you save by buying the phone subsidized, so they're still pretty much making the same as they were before your contract expired. And again, on the point of them making money from the phone when you buy it unsubsidized; don't buy it from them and they don't see it.

Be nice if ENOUGH people voted with there wallet and dropped the carriers that pull this data cap BS!

Be nice if ENOUGH people voted with there wallet and dropped the carriers that pull this data cap BS!
if only there were options to switch to that offered equivalent services that weren't tiered. Unfortunately there really aren't and Verizon knows it. I know the T-mobile pre-paid method has been brought up a lot, but its not unlimited and T-Mo's network isn't as robust.

T4rd said:
I'm sure they would have payed off that subsidy within the first 6 months of your contract though, esp. if you're paying the retarded prices they're charging nowadays for normal service on top of the additional "upgrade" fees and other BS. I highly doubt it takes the full contract to make up for the ~$350 you save by buying the phone subsidized, so they're still pretty much making the same as they were before your contract expired. And again, on the point of them making money from the phone when you buy it unsubsidized; don't buy it from them and they don't see it.
Yes, i'm sure they make it back fairly quickly, but its still more money. I only bring up the route of buying the phone from them as an additional source of potential revenue in their eyes. obviously there are other options.

Shrug I complained to ATT enough to have my bill dropped due to there lame pricing tiers. If people think there is not another game in town then Verizon wins. My ATT service is normally just as good if not better then my GF Verizon. Cept for Verizon rolled out there LTE here in the last year. But with the data cap my GF is afraid to download stuff.

But most people will not vote with there wallet. I would go without a data plan vs getting raped at $30+ a month for just data F that.

if only there were options to switch to that offered equivalent services that weren't tiered. Unfortunately there really aren't and Verizon knows it. I know the T-mobile pre-paid method has been brought up a lot, but its not unlimited and T-Mo's network isn't as robust.

Exactly. I'm not willing to pay any more than I am right now for any less service, so as long as I can keep this service at the rate I'm paying, I'll stick with it as long as I can until another carrier can compete with Verizon in all areas (read: large 4G network and excellent cell coverage otherwise).

Yes, i'm sure they make it back fairly quickly, but its still more money. I only bring up the route of buying the phone from them as an additional source of potential revenue in their eyes. obviously there are other options.

At this point, I could give a crap if they're making more or not. I'm paying the same regardless and I can easily afford it, so that's all that matters to me as long as I can keep unlimited data after the contract ends. I'll prolly stay on my current plan until they either force me off unlimited data or piss me off otherwise. I still have just under two years before I even have to worry about it anyways. Hopefully by then, Sprint will have their LTE up in most areas and will still offer unlimited data since that's really the only thing they have going for them at the moment.

Looks like I'll be holding onto my Gnex for a long long time just to keep my unlimited data.

Any idea how soon this is happening and if you can keep your 3g unlimited plan if your on it or if you upgrade to unlimited 4g before this is implemented can you keep that? Still on a 3g unlimited plan and not due for an upgrade till June.

Any 4g phones with a keyboard and removable battery? Droid 4 doesn't have a swapable battery.

Dont hold your breath on sprint. Activation fees were fun to get waived.... Voice service is alright got no major complaints with that, but even their "4g" is slower than VZW's 3g.

Any idea how soon this is happening and if you can keep your 3g unlimited plan if your on it or if you upgrade to unlimited 4g before this is implemented can you keep that? Still on a 3g unlimited plan and not due for an upgrade till June.

Any 4g phones with a keyboard and removable battery? Droid 4 doesn't have a swapable battery.

No affective dates have been given about when they will implement the shared data plans. They only said "summer", so I would guess it will be late June or July before it happens. I'm sure as it gets closer, they will at least give us a few days notice and then you can go out and re-up your contract to keep unlimited data.

The only high-end newer phones with a removable battery right now is the Rezound, Galaxy Nexus and the Incredible 4G when it launches shortly (yeah, I'm ignoring the LG phones for good reason).

Yes, look at the Verizon Samsung Stratosphere. Unfortunately, its a mid-tier model at best, with a single core CPU and 800x480 screen. Basically, its a rebadged Samsung Epic 4G that Sprint sold almost two years ago. :(

Back