Verizon Says the Internet Will 'Change Forever' June 18th

Is it the new model that came out like 4 months ago?
I'm pretty sure that the model and revision are new for 2012 but I'm not sure about the month. The unit looks like the old Actiontec MI424WR but with a red colored face, dual annatae and two usb ports that are disabled in the firmware.

DVR HD box is 16.99 a mo. I got a cablecard which is like 3 or 4 a month.

Don't want a dvr box, want cost as low as possible. Think the standard HD box is $9.99 from googling, which is still a rip off.

Do you have to use at least one of their boxes, or can you just have cablecards?

Still don't know if I want to pay ~$60 more for faster internet, and basically all I want to see on tv is Formula 1 live races.

Just have 20/2 internet from TWC, Netflix, MLB.tv Premium and HD Antennas for $58/mo total. More bw would be nice, but $60/mo is a decent sum to continue saving.

I'm already on a 75/75 at a great rate, 300 would be cool but not a major difference in most cases.

Don't want a dvr box, want cost as low as possible. Think the standard HD box is $9.99 from googling, which is still a rip off.

Do you have to use at least one of their boxes, or can you just have cablecards?

Still don't know if I want to pay ~$60 more for faster internet, and basically all I want to see on tv is Formula 1 live races.

Just have 20/2 internet from TWC, Netflix, MLB.tv Premium and HD Antennas for $58/mo total. More bw would be nice, but $60/mo is a decent sum to continue saving.

No all you need is the service, all I have is a cable card. I do hate the way they package the plans.

USMCGrunt said:
As much as I hate Congress getting involved in anything, they need to change Internet from being treated as a service and classify it as a utility. Consolidate all the companies and build out a nationwide 100% coverage network and then Internet is paid for in a metered fashion like water or electricity is.

That would ruin the Internet. And from what it sounds like, you don't hate Congress getting "involved in anything" because your plan is a control freak's dream come true. Nationalize the Internet? It would be a disaster. Competition and innovation are a key driving forces that maintains the Internet. Now you want to eliminate that. Government stagnation and politics would run it. Terrible idea. Stop reading Carl Marx books. Let freedom ring.

That would ruin the Internet. And from what it sounds like, you don't hate Congress getting "involved in anything" because your plan is a control freak's dream come true. Nationalize the Internet? It would be a disaster. Competition and innovation are a key driving forces that maintains the Internet. Now you want to eliminate that. Government stagnation and politics would run it. Terrible idea. Stop reading Carl Marx books. Let freedom ring.

It isn't free when most ISPs have a near-monopoly in every area. Get rid of service area contracts/exclusivity and force deregulation so that multiple providers can compete in the same area using the same lines. Until that happens there is nothing 'competitive' or 'innovative' about the internet service provider market.

I didn't really want to touch that post, but well said.

Signed up for the 150/65. Should have it installed on Tuesday. Going straight ethernet from the ONT. After they leave, I'm releasing the DHCP address (and copying the mac address just in case), and then plugging in my own ASUS RT-N66U router. No tv = plenty of joy!

Back