Verizon Plans 3D TV Via FiOS for Holiday 2010

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are among the lucky few (if you consider 3 million customers a few) to have Verizon as your cable supplier, you should start looking for that brand new 3-DTV set in the near future.

"We're monitoring the early sales of 3D TVs and expect to announce a 3D offering well in advance of the holiday TV-shopping season, when 3D television sales will expand," Shawn Strickland, vice president of FiOS product management for Verizon, said in a statement on Friday.

Why does 3D TV sound really cheesy and corny?

Something about it just turns me off and makes me instantly think it sucks and is a waste.

Wow a lot of companies are going to loose a lot of money when they realize that 3D is just a fad that will fall flat in a year or two. Sure a movie that has tones of money dumped into it and is made for watching in 3d from the beginning is going to look great and be really neat, but 3d all the time is just annoying.

What the hell is with all this industry 3d tv hype. Every person I've talked to says the same thing: they don't like it because you need those stupid, headache causing, shutter glasses.

But I guess some of us can't be impressed by shiny objects.
sa-db-emote.gif

How about investing in bringing FIOS to more locations before adding stupid 3d gimmicks. I agree though, everyone I have talked to hates 3d, including myself.

All I know is I need to go in business if this really takes off for those stupid glasses because I can foresee it now people breaking them/losing them every couple months.

There is still a huge installed base of standard old TVs. Many with HD TV still won’t make the move to BR. Anyone with a cable bill already thinks (knows?) it’s too damn high as is.

I don’t see a huge market for the 3-D TV (LG has one now as well) and I perceive an even smaller market for growing cable bills.

I have to agree with the make fios more available statement. Actually, I'm starting to wonder if Verizon wired around my house as a friend of mine who lives something like a block away can get fios, but I can't.

this 3D madness occurs every decade of so, and will die like all the others. If I want 3D, I'll step away from the TV, thank you.

I can't wait to wear stylish 3D glasses with a bunch of people over...

Why does 3D TV sound really cheesy and corny?

Something about it just turns me off and makes me instantly think it sucks and is a waste.

because most media offered via the 3d viewing experience in the past has been sucky and a waste. imagine if The Terminator was originally introduced in 3d, etc.. i think we would have a different opinion of it. the problem is my only memories of 3d are stupid shit like the muppets in 3d at disney, and honey i shrunk the kids in 3d, etc... garbage

Hell yes. I can't wait wait for new 3D content, with modern technology behind the lens(es), to re-introduce 3D to the masses.

It won't be as popular as HDTV, but it's still going to be huge.

What is there to watch in 3D? Most TV programs are the intermission material between the commercials.

I like sports, but actually WATCHING them is not that exciting, they're promotional events for the networks and the beer companies. It's mostly about the storylines and players.

A lot of older viewers don't even notice HD, or don't want it. Plus, torch mode.

Anything with glasses will fail, people can't even walk up to TVs anymore compared to remote reliance.

If they are handing out 55" LED backlit 120hz (for real) TV's for free.... and cool glasses.... then I'll consider it.

But do I really want PRON in 3D? I can see games in 3D, but 99% of TeeVee has no place being 3D.

FIOS = nickel and dime to death. 89.99 per month really means 110$ per month.

If you can reach a remote I think you can reach some glasses.

3D might be a premium product and find a niche, but it won't be significant especially for the sports market.

Unless it makes a big difference in watching NCIS and American Idol, why use it on TV? Cop dramas, reality, news, Sportscenter... these are the staples and don't need 3D.

Im sure they arent the only provider. Directv and others are probably going to be watching closely too. ESPN announced 3-D version a long time ago.

I disagree completely with the above statement. Real life shows look the best in 3D. CGI is what doesnt need it.

Back