Verizon - New phone, upgrade process

Kelvarr

Supreme [H]ardness
So my work line was eligible for an upgrade. My work phone (G3) is perfectly fine for its function. Since we pay for our own phones (just the hardware...at the 2-year promotional pricing), we can do whatever we want with them. My new G4 just came in...what is the correct procedure?

I want to say that I don't need to do anything. My G3 stays my work phone, with the SIM that is in that phone. With the new G4, I yank the SIM, go to the Verizon store and request a new SIM for my personal line (My Galaxy S3 SIM won't fit the G4). Once that is done, the G4 will be on my personal line, and that's that. Am I correct?

I can't remember if Verizon is SIM style, but if it is, whatever phone your personal sim card is in will become your personal phone.

I upgraded from Note 3 to 4 and they just threw my sim card in the Note 4 and I was done.

I want to say that I don't need to do anything. My G3 stays my work phone, with the SIM that is in that phone. With the new G4, I yank the SIM, go to the Verizon store and request a new SIM for my personal line (My Galaxy S3 SIM won't fit the G4). Once that is done, the G4 will be on my personal line, and that's that. Am I correct?

That is correct. You could also cut down your S3's SIM to fit into your G4 with a SIM cutter or a really careful hand with scissors. That's what I've done, been using the same SIM since my Gnex; cut it down to a micro-SIM for my Note 2, then to a Nano SIM for my One M8. Mostly because I'm still on unlimited data and I don't want some Verizon rep trying to talk me out of it or feed me some BS about not being able to activate a new SIM on unlimited data.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It was even easier. After going to the Verizon store, I realized I never had to. I should have checked the SIM cards before I went. The GS3 and G4 both use the same SIM, so I could have just swapped it, logged into my Verizon Account and entered the IMEI number of the G4 and been off to the races.

It was even easier. After going to the Verizon store, I realized I never had to. I should have checked the SIM cards before I went. The GS3 and G4 both use the same SIM, so I could have just swapped it, logged into my Verizon Account and entered the IMEI number of the G4 and been off to the races.

You shouldn't even have to register the IMEI on their site. Just swap the SIMs and go like any other GSM phone. That's all I've done with my Verizon phones.

You shouldn't even have to register the IMEI on their site. Just swap the SIMs and go like any other GSM phone. That's all I've done with my Verizon phones.

That very well could have been the case. The employee that helped me likely doesn't understand fully what SIM cards do (nor am I claiming that I do). Here is an excerpt:

Me: "I pulled the SIM that came with the phone"
Her: "Why did you do that? I need a SIM card to get it running."
Me: "Because that SIM card is associate with my work number, and I am using this phone on my personal number."
Her: "No, that's not how SIM cards work. All they do is tell the phone what towers to connect to and how to connect"
Me: "ummm....ok then. I still want to use the SIM from my GS3"

Later on, I am really glad I did...I looked at the paperwork that came with the phone, and it clearly says that the pre-installed SIM card is associated with my work number. So it likely would have fucked something up there as well.

Back