Verizon NE2 upgrade tomorrow. what to do?

Apathy

Gawd
I've had verizon since my first cell phone and they work great for my area. service everywhere and most of my friends have verizon. Also I have verizon fios / home phone through them so I am definitely going to be sticking with them.

Ive owned the samsung sch-u740 (alias 1) now for 2 years and it's been a great phone. I dropped it one too many times and broke the ear speaker, so i can only hear people when its on speakerphone. Ive been getting by with that just turning the volume all the way down on speaker when i make phone calls, but now that i have my upgrade tomorrow, i am trying to figure out what the hell i should do.

So heres my dilemma:

I love the first alias, and now they have a new alias thats in grey only, and an alias 2 that im not sure i like the look of.

I want wifi and gps. I want good battery life that lasts more than a day. I want to be able to access the internet and my email and watch videos. A good browser is very important to me. Also, i really really want a qwerty keyboard, not a touchscreen one because in my experience, the touchscreens are... well they're not really my thing.

I think my options are:
Omnia
Storm
HTC

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do here? Maybe it'd be best to wait until the new versions of these phones come out? I guess i'll just have to accept the mandatory data plan, but I would be happy if I didn't have to get the data plan and just use wifi for the browser.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell the right choice for me is?

Any help is much appreciated.

I have the Omnia.

A friend of mine works at Verizon Corporate... I would say wait if you can. He said no ETA, but there will be an upgrade Omnia (HD) as well the final specs for the CDMA version of the iPhone.

LG is also releasing a bunch of SmartPhones based on Windows Mobile (6.5 just got released so you may want to wait for that as well since v7 is some 9+ months away)

I have the Omnia and I love it... however, you'll be slammed with the additional requirement of the data plan.

either Omnia or Touch Diamond are very nice.

Check out the alias 2. its a nice device but without the wifi

Wait for the Storm 2 to hit next month. WiFi and supposed addresses all the Storms issues

either Omnia or Touch Diamond are very nice.

Check out the alias 2. its a nice device but without the wifi

The Soft Keyboard sucks. Diamond is nice, but Pro is better.

I have owned an XV6800 and a Touch Pro and the pro is by far one of the best phones ive ever used. Whats funny is that all of my friends have different smartphones so ive been able to play with the Palm Centro, Blackberry Storm, Blackberry Curve, iPhone, and Tmobile G1.

out of all of those, i like the G1 and the Pro the most with the iPhone and Storm coming after...

for verizon, you kindof have a very limited selection on the phone category but from my experience the pro is your best bet, especially since there is so much aftermarket support :D

i have not heard anything about a cdma iphone(i doubt it). we'll prolly see a 4G iphone on Verizon considering the fact that they'll be using 4G in a year or less and that phone will work on both ATT and Verizon. Now, in regards to the blackberry storm 2. We should see Wifi(lol) and i think they are doing away with the clicking screen as it caused dust underneath the screen and such(i predicted this would happen the second i saw the phone and how the clicking mechanism worked).

Omnia - you will probably need to use the stylus often, so keep that in mind.

Storm - check the 4 pg thread in this forum for more info on that

I personally have the storm and love it. There's just so much that can be done with it. And its come a long way through the various firmwares. I'm on 148 now and its been great as far as overall snappiness is concerned.

I've got awesome rss support using viigo, tunes w/ pandora, and browsing with opera. The app world has made finding progs a joy too.

One of the biggest complaints is the click screen, but after loosening some torx 6 screws and placing a cardboard washer and some tape on the back center between the battery door and raised metal hinge, my press is more like a VERY slight tap. In fact this whole post was typed out on the storm. :)

well jodiuh, i read your post here and in the other vzw upgrade thread. i have to say that out of all the phones that ive looked at so far, the storm is probably the most appealing. the only thing that i really dont like is the soft keybaord. i still have yet to play with a htc touch pro, but im going to be heading into the store some time in the next few days to check out what they have.

ive seen a bunch of people saying that the storm 2 may be getting released at the end of this month, or possibly as late as september. ive typed on it quite a few times just playing around texting and trying to browse the web as one of my buddies owns one. the thing that i hate about it most is having to actually pay attention to what im typing and occasionaly having to choose the correct word out of a list fo possible words that im typing, although most of the time its fairly accurate. but seriously, what the fuck is up with the pointer when you are browsing? i find it to be so difficult trying to highlight any amount of text, or to get the pointer to go where you want it to go. it seems to go up and to the left of where i put my finger. im sure that if i played with it enough id get it down.

at this point is probably a tossup between a touch pro (even though i havent touched it yet) and the storm 2. i guess i dont really know what im doing yet, but im sure ill figure it out once i get to play with a storm 2.

the only other option that i kinda like is the G1, but i dont want to have to change my service over to a company that has terrible service in my area (lower fairfield county in connecticut). plus the keyboard's buttons seem like they are too far shifted over to one side when i type on it.

who knew trying to figure out which phone to buy would be such a hassle. in the past it was either a flip phone or not, color preference, and general style.

when will someone release a phone with gps, good browser, full qwerty keyboard, and a touch screen with decent battery life (at least 2 or 3 days with casual use)? <---is this really so much to ask for.

i really hope the storm 2 is a winner.

The newer firmware versions have a better txt selector.

Previously I had upgraded firmware upon firmware and things went ok. But last night I wiped my phone to put on a clean version of .148, throw on my 3rd party apps, then restore my data. Well, it didn't like that one bit. The thing has been absolutely friggin' out on me all day, haha. I guess I'll just wait until VZW releases another official and then start from scratch completely.

I'll be honest though, I did let a VZW have an earful for the 1st time today. Even checked out the Palm Pre and G1 pages! :D I have the most unusual love/hate w/ this damn thing...and damn VZW for having killer service and call quality!

You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. they just want you to sign another 2 year agreement.
You could wait till a phone you really wants comes out, or you can purchase a second hand phone and not have to sign a 2 year contract. Just keep it month to month.

interesting... what happens if i dont sign another 2 year contract with verizon? my new every 2 was almost 2 weeks ago and i havent done anything about it yet. if i just keep things going with this phone, or buy a second hand phone, can i just keep vzw going month to month?

interesting... what happens if i dont sign another 2 year contract with verizon? my new every 2 was almost 2 weeks ago and i havent done anything about it yet. if i just keep things going with this phone, or buy a second hand phone, can i just keep vzw going month to month?

If you dont upgrade your phone you are basically month to month and can leave whenever you want without getting that 175 dollar penalty for canceling your contract. Now, if you get a new phone without a contract you're STILL month to month without penalty. If you get a new phone and sign a contract, that is when you're locked in.

I have the Storm & love it. I agree with GonzoP, wait for the Storm 2 to hit June/July.

Verizon prorates thier cancelation fees so the longer your on, the less you pay. Month to month is the way to go until you find a phone you like. There will be several new models and maybe even a new player in the coming weeks. If your buying today, The Omnia is very impressive and quite customizable. I use the Blackberry Curve, the Storm is too slow for me but thats just me. I use a gleam for everyday non business use and will replace that with the Alias 2 in August. The Alias 2 is an excellent piece of work that emulates an OLED type of keypad automatically changing from letters to numbers and back when you change from flip to landscape thereby resolving the complaints of the original phone where the keys shared letters and numbers that blurred at some angles.

Hope that helps.

Jacuzz1....................Authorized Verizon Premium Retailer

Last edited:
...the Storm is too slow for me but thats just me.
It is just you. ;)

IMG_3010.jpg

It really shines w/ the most recent .148 firmware, torx 6 mod, and a felt button behind the battery door. A bone stock Storm as found in most stores will be an absolute nightmare to operate.

Last edited:
A

My buddy left his storm here last night so I got to play with it and managed to type this message with it. Its pretty cool but I seems like ut lags a not when I try to type quickly.

^thats all i managed to type on it before switching over to my keyboard to ninja edit this. its browser seems kinda quirky. not sure what version hes using, but i dont think hes done any of the modding to make clicking easier. its interesting, but i think ill will do what some of you have suggested and wait for the new phones to come out before i make my decision.

I hear yah but after 22 years in the business I am a little spoiled. I do not believe one should have to modify a phone that cost nearly $400 wholesale and $200 with a contract in order to get it to work properly.

Verizon prorates thier cancelation fees so the longer your on, the less you pay. Month to month is the way to go until you find a phone you like. There will be several new models and maybe even a new player in the coming weeks. If your buying today, The Omnia is very impressive and quite customizable. I use the Blackberry Curve, the Storm is too slow for me but thats just me. I use a gleam for everyday non business use and will replace that with the Alias 2 in August. The Alias 2 is an excellent piece of work that emulates an OLED type of keypad automatically changing from letters to numbers and back when you change from flip to landscape thereby resolving the complaints of the original phone where the keys shared letters and numbers that blurred at some angles.

Hope that helps.

Jacuzz1....................Authorized Verizon Premium Retailer

What are all the new models coming out?:D
I'm looking for a new phone and want the best phone that doesn't require a data plan. I almost bought the Intrigue until I read about the too many problems with it. Now I was thinking of getting the Alias 2 but would go with a one year contract so I want to make sure I don't jump the gun too early.

Last edited:
The Alias 2 would be an excellent choice IMHO . The Envy3 releases today, there will be a new version of the Voyager that is called the Envy Touch, The new Blackberry Storm will be out by August and will use touch flow technology. You also have another Versa comming. HTC and Palm are stepping to the plate as well as UT Starcom

I do not believe one should have to modify a phone that cost nearly $400 wholesale and $200 with a contract in order to get it to work properly.
After the crappy phones I've had from VZW, I consider it a privilege to be able to modify my Storm. That said, I'm going to have mad envy once the new improved Storm 2 comes out! I hope VZW offers some sort of trade in for us Storm 1 owners. Especially those of us that just purchased the phone at the end of spring.

The Alias 2 would be an excellent choice IMHO . The Envy3 releases today, there will be a new version of the Voyager that is called the Envy Touch, The new Blackberry Storm will be out by August and will use touch flow technology. You also have another Versa comming. HTC and Palm are stepping to the plate as well as UT Starcom

I was about to pull the trigger(Like I do on live on Vegas 2) but then I started researching the LG enV touch and decided that's my next phone. I want this phone so bad.

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Live-images-of-the-LG-enV-Touch-for-Verizon-article-a_5123.html

Last edited:
JODuih,

Let me remind you that Verizon does not make the phones, the manufacturers do. All emotion aside, I have represented all of the big players over the years and there are untold numbers of phones made by all the manufacturers that have had one issue or another. In my experience there are always a few in any given quarter that are either very good or have issues. Verizon can claim the most reliable service because they take the most care in evaluating phone performance as it relates to how they work on the network. This approach often results in delays to market for products that can be readily found on other networks that employ a " sign on 10 , pis off 5 " and "so keep 5" method of acquiring customers. In the case of the storm, even the mighty Verizon could not resist given the impact of the Iphone, a phone that ironically was originally designed with Verizon in mind but was rejected by Verizon for a number of reasons that could have an entire thread dedicated to it. In the end that rejection was a wise one in my opinion since the Iphone has made a ton of money for Apple but has cost millions for ATT. Never the less, its impact on the market could not be denied. Verizon was weak to release the storm before it was ready for prime time IMHO.

My point is , that it is up to the consumer to evaluate and choose the best carrier and then the best phone. They are two separate things. You will end up with the right carrier and the right phone , whatever they may be. If you rely on the carrier to choose your phone and "hold your dick while you piss" for that matter then you get what you deserve, irrespective of your carrier and or phone of choice. The carrier is not responsible for your choice of equipment, you are.

For Example: You would not say "Intel or Microsoft offers shitty computers" just because you were careless enough to buy a shitty clone that ended up requiring modifications, or perhaps you would I do not know.

Rule of the thumb, never buy the first run of a new phone model............

Just my .02

Last edited:
I was about to pull the trigger(Like I do on live on Vegas 2) but then I started researching the LG enV touch and decided that's my next phone. I want this phone so bad. When is it coming out?

Anyone?

I'm seriously contemplating getting the Alias 2 just to play with for 30 days and then return it to get another one to do the same thing until the LG enV Touch comes out.

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Live-images-of-the-LG-enV-Touch-for-Verizon-article-a_5123.html

Dude , envy Touch will be here in a week ;)

jacuzz1,

Yes, the crappy phones I've had from VZW, because I'm pretty sure LG and Moto didn't force brew down my throat. All said, I'm actually pretty happy w/ my 1st run Storm. I needed a smartphone on VZW 3 months ago and did not have the luxury of waiting for Storm 2 6-9 mos later. Sure it has issues, but I get a new firmware every 2 weeks that fixes something and always increases the responsiveness of the GUI. Hey, at least I got your name right. :p

jacuzz1,

Yes, the crappy phones I've had from VZW, because I'm pretty sure LG and Moto didn't force brew down my throat. All said, I'm actually pretty happy w/ my 1st run Storm. I needed a smartphone on VZW 3 months ago and did not have the luxury of waiting for Storm 2 6-9 mos later. Sure it has issues, but I get a new firmware every 2 weeks that fixes something and always increases the responsiveness of the GUI. Hey, at least I got your name right. :p

I hear yah bro, FYI, there is a new firmware available today for your phone. Oh and Verizon is opening up to Java developers as we speak

Here is an excerpt from a recent article:

"Sun Microsystems today kicked off its 2009 JavaOne conference with an announcement from Verizon Wireless President and CEO Lowell McAdam that the carrier will be opening up elements of its network to application developers.

McAdam admitted that the company traditionally has been fairly protective of its network. "We've been relatively closed as a wireless carrier. I think it was because we were overly protective of our brand," he said, citing increased bandwidth as one reason for the change in policy."

http://www.wirelessweek.com/News-JavaOne-Verizon-Java-Community-060209.aspx

Last edited:
I hear yah bro, FYI, there is a new firmware available today for your phone.
Old news. :D I'm using a hybrid w/ .151 and 5.0 files. It's ridiculously speedy w/ slick transitions between apps. I have tons of apps installed and start the day w/ about 43MB free. Awesome, I'm using the Pro V3 theme w/ hidden today features and multiple hidden shortcuts. And then of course, there's quicklaunch...the most awesomest thing ever ever!

Haha, yeah, I'm pretty pleased w/ the phone as of late. I'll probably have a new firmware in less than a week. It's a great phone after it's been tweaked. The best trick has to be the torx 6 mod and stuffing a felt pad/electrical tape behind the battery door. The "click" becomes much shorter w/ regard to travel distance and takes ever so slight a press to activate.

I do wish it had wifi though. :(

It's a terrible, terrible disease and if anyone is reading this, please, please avoid crackberry.com and safe yourself YEARS of time! That's crackberry.com, don't go to crackberry.com.

Back