Verizon iPhone Coming in June?

HardOCP News

[H] News
There are people speculating that the iPhone might be coming to Verizon this June. Buying an iPhone that isn’t tied to the AT&T network? I imagine that would make a lot of people happy (and current iPhone users unhappy).

Maybe Apple had to settle for that week because the International Stem Cell Conference and the NACUBO Annual Meeting beat them to the dates they really wanted. But it's also possible that Apple is waiting until its exclusivity deal with AT&T ends -- the exact day its exclusivity deal ends -- before announcing an iPhone for Verizon, T-Mobile, or Sprint.

I still dont see this happening. If anything they will just renew the exclusivity contract. Apples all about exclusivity.

I still dont see this happening. If anything they will just renew the exclusivity contract. Apples all about exclusivity.

They aren't as far as Europe is concerned. The iPhone is damn near available at any carrier over there now (wasn't before). I'd say that they are about at their saturation point now with AT&T. If they want to attract more customers, they need an additional source.

Anyway, this rumor has been around a while so it's more wait & see as usual.

It makes no sense to me for the iPhone to be exclusive to any carrier. They will get more people and more money if all the carriers cary the iPhone. I dont know about other people, but I personally wont change carriers for a specific phone.

the iphone is all about accessing the internet while in the middle of a call, thats not possible on verizon

If it happens I'm certain you will see a mass exodus from ATT. Nothing that will make them go under or drop to #3, but a significant amount nonetheless.

the iphone is all about accessing the internet while in the middle of a call, thats not possible on verizon

Someone watches too many commercials and assumes they are truthful...:rolleyes:

That said, It would be smart of apple to break exclusivity with AT&T, mostly for the simple fact that being exclusive was a bad idea from the beginning. The only one who benefits from that arrangement is AT&T, I can't imagine how Apple could possibly think it benefits them. That said, this is apple and they have a history of doing things that only makes sense to apple, so we shall see.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Why make a phone that essentially only one provider will use, until LTE is pushed out more? If it's going to anyone new, its TMO as it's the same phone they are selling elsewhere with minor modifications.

yeah. i would really love an LTE iPhone 4G with Verizon. they have the best network, and they should crush AT&T in the 4G war easily. just a matter of time.

nice. it would certainly be in apples best interest to produce a verizon compatible phone. I don't think you'd see many people jumping ship from AT&T though unless they're offering significantly better deals/faster data rates as it wouldn't make a lot of sense financially, to break your contract (and get stuck with a gsm phone that you cant use)

This would also be nice for another backup plan in case AT&T starts getting lame and capping data usage

I got the 3G when it first came out, so my contract will be up this summer. I was thinking about checking out the Droid, but if the iPhone comes to Verizon, I may have to go that route. Would be nice to have my calls not dropped every day.

yeah. i would really love an LTE iPhone 4G with Verizon. they have the best network, and they should crush AT&T in the 4G war easily. just a matter of time.

The main reason that Verizon was able to have a complete 3g network was because CdmaOne was software upgradable to CDMA2000. Thus the biggest investment they had to do was improve backhaul. In LTE's case, HSDPA is the largely software upgradable path to LTE. Verizon is getting started early because its going to take them to at least 2014 to get it rolled out as they are basically starting from scratch. Not so in AT&Ts and TMO's case.

AT&T has no excuse for not being the first with 4g. They have the most resources and the deepest pockets.

I really don't see Verizon getting the iPhone after all the criticism of the iPhone. It would be kinda hard to start selling a product you just spent months bashing.

The only one who benefits from that arrangement is AT&T, I can't imagine how Apple could possibly think it benefits them.

Umm, possibly because Apple gets a cut of each customers monthly data plan from AT&T which equates to cash money. One reason Verizon didn't secure the iPhone in the first place was that Verizon wasn't willing to bend over and take it as deep as AT&T was in terms of percentage of revenue sharing. Verizon was not interested in revenue sharing at the time but they may have changed their tune shortly after the release after seeing how popular the iPhone became.

I want an iPhone... But I don't want to pay for the data fees that follow. Oh well. iPod touch for me I guess.

The main reason that Verizon was able to have a complete 3g network was because CdmaOne was software upgradable to CDMA2000. Thus the biggest investment they had to do was improve backhaul. In LTE's case, HSDPA is the largely software upgradable path to LTE. Verizon is getting started early because its going to take them to at least 2014 to get it rolled out as they are basically starting from scratch. Not so in AT&Ts and TMO's case.

I am not sure where you get your information but I have been told that when Verizion launches 4g next year the coverage will be such that no marketing campaign would be able to ridicule it and in fact, it will be the largest , fully functional 4g network available.

I am not sure where you get your information but I have been told that when Verizion launches 4g next year the coverage will be such that no marketing campaign would be able to ridicule it and in fact, it will be the largest , fully functional 4g network available.

I have also been told by ATT technicians that they are so far behind on the 3g that they have given up and are trying to ramp up thier 4g network as we speak. They are very concerned about Verizon next year.

I have also been told by ATT technicians that they are so far behind on the 3g that they have given up and are trying to ramp up thier 4g network as we speak. They are very concerned about Verizon next year.

isn't their 3g (evdo rev a) network 5 times the size of ATTs?

As long as it doesn't officially come to T-Mobile, I'll be happy. I don't want the iPhone crapping on my data speeds...

I sure hope Verizon gets it. Get these "gotta have the trendiest new toy" guys off my network. Seriously, one of my firends voicemail actually said "Hey this is ***** Iphone. Leave a message." Hey actually hadda announce to everyone that you had called his Iphone. Sheesh.

AT&T has no excuse for not being the first with 4g. They have the most resources and the deepest pockets.

I really don't see Verizon getting the iPhone after all the criticism of the iPhone. It would be kinda hard to start selling a product you just spent months bashing.

Nah, the average consumer is an idiot and forgets things quickly. They will have no idea.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/101893

And keep in mind that no one has announced a LTE phone and that likely won't happen until 2011. If all you care about is data, why aren't you going with clearwire now?

http://telephonyonline.com/wireless/commentary/2010-lte-phones-unlikely-0512/

They aren't as far as Europe is concerned. The iPhone is damn near available at any carrier over there now (wasn't before). I'd say that they are about at their saturation point now with AT&T. If they want to attract more customers, they need an additional source.

Should be easy over in Europe since they use GSM.

Droid has no issue with talking on the phone while surfing the web.

On wifi. which everyone loves to forget to mention. Cached info does not count.

Hrmm. Funny. I bought a phone to make calls....

Then be happy with your Nokia then. I'm just finding it funny how on one hand you can have a group of people say that Android is the best thing ever and the iphone sucks and can't make calls and etc.. but then in another thread take a little morsel of info and read that the iphone is coming to Verizon and get excited about it. Kind of hypocritical.

I personally like both the iPhone and Droid. the only thing I don't like about the iPhone is the typing on the screen, I seem to always hit the key next to the one I want.

And I didn't think about the wifi and talking on the Droid either. My brother has the Droid and told me it could surf and talk at the same time so I am going to have him turn off the wifi and try.

Ill also chime in that the Verizon rep that I bought my Droid from told me that Verizon was enabling wifi hot spots. As far as I'm concerned, that's better than 3G, and it sure as hell beats being able to 3G and talk on the phone at the same time. Connected to my home wireless I can really multi task with the phone. I can browse Hardforum while taking a poop and on the phone with my girlfriend.....

I'd pay the ETF to go to Verizon. AT&T has been nothing but dropped calls, poor reception, slow internet, and Searching . . .

In New York City

I'd expect is in the bunghold of Wyoming, not in the center of the universe where I live.

Screw AT&T

Just want to jump in and the iPhone will absolutely come to Verizon. They were waiting for LTE and here it comes.

I'd pay the ETF to go to Verizon. AT&T has been nothing but dropped calls, poor reception, slow internet, and Searching . . .

In New York City

I'd expect is in the bunghold of Wyoming, not in the center of the universe where I live.

Screw AT&T

I live out in NW Missouri or as some would say BFE. I have very good call quality and very fast data speeds. Around 3Mbps downstream on my iPhone. I am starting to think most of the complaints about AT&Ts network are coming from CA and NY which is very surprising.

How? Most tech writers are based out of SF or NY which is where at&t has admitted they need to work on improving service. A lot of the other talk is echo caused by various reasons however. Your experience is likely not similar to someone else's experience.

I'd guess that the majority of smart phone users live in big cities. It makes sense that a disproportionate number of the people who switched to AT&T are from NY and CA. What doesn't make sense is that the network wasn't fixed to accomodate them.

Anecdote:

I used to work downtown, right on wall street when the iPhone first came out in the citigroup building, which is basically a giant concrete rectangle with the elevators in another giant concrete rectangle in the center. When I had Verizon, I had full signal strength INSIDE the elevator. When I got my iPhone, I didn't even have a signal at my desk, which was right by a window on a high floor.

If I used voice calls more, I would have to switch. Luckily I have the Blackberry for that.

Someone watches too many commercials and assumes they are truthful...:rolleyes:

That said, It would be smart of apple to break exclusivity with AT&T, mostly for the simple fact that being exclusive was a bad idea from the beginning. The only one who benefits from that arrangement is AT&T, I can't imagine how Apple could possibly think it benefits them. That said, this is apple and they have a history of doing things that only makes sense to apple, so we shall see.

That is a limitation of CDMA technology, I have on a few occasions wished I could of used the internet while on the phone with my Sprint HTC Hero but can not.

Only stopping it right now is the contract. It will be on verizon, not that I'm any source, but I can all but promise it. DROID is selling gangbusters and is a GOOD phone. Open source and FREE apps (ya free, no really free). Apple is if anything a smart company. they have many phones comming out that simple BRAND fanboys cant even ignore (yes the Iphone is sweet, but so many phones are comming close to being as good or better now) As an actual phone the iphone isnt to hot, as a internet device... well as long as you never leave major population areas you are fine. As an Ex Iphone user it was a great little device, got almost everything right. its biggest mistake is simplying being an Apple product, great quality in the most locked down form. Apple knows it needs to get the iphone in more hands before its "cool" factor is gone and Verizon is the best place to do it.

Yes and as I understand it, thier 4 g network be more of the same

Then be happy with your Nokia then. I'm just finding it funny how on one hand you can have a group of people say that Android is the best thing ever and the iphone sucks and can't make calls and etc.. but then in another thread take a little morsel of info and read that the iphone is coming to Verizon and get excited about it. Kind of hypocritical.

To the contrary, I believe the Iphone to be an very good device. The biggest drawback it has is the network it is relogated to.

Back