Verizon Insists It Isn't Going to Install Spyware on Its Android Phones

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Verizon is currently in “damage control mode” after a report of the communications giant planning to install spyware on its users’ Android devices surfaced. The software, dubbed “AppFlash,” would collect information that includes location data, contact information, and programs used for the purpose of targeted advertising. Verizon claims that the software is only being tested for one particular LG device and that users would still have to opt-in before any data is taken and sold.

A few days ago, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) published a report that Verizon plans to install highly-invasive spyware on its subscribers’ Android phones. Since then, Verizon has insisted that the “AppFlash” software is only a test run and has only been installed on one type of Android device. The original report identified AppFlash as a piece of spyware that tracks what apps a subscriber installs. It reportedly would allow the telecom giant to “sell ads to you across the Internet based on things like which bank you use and whether you’ve downloaded a fertility app.”

Verizon claims that the software is only being tested for one particular LG device and that users would still have to opt-in before any data is taken and sold.

So they say, but doesn't that latest FCC ruling make it unnecessary for Verizon to substantiate that statement? While everyone may hate that they would do such a thing, end users would also have no recourse for any legal action.

And in other news, Comcast and AT&T say that won't sell your customer data. Lotta noses getting a lot longer today.

Verizon claims that the software is only being tested for one particular LG device and that users would still have to opt-in before any data is taken and sold.

So this is just the FIRST phone as a beta test before the system-wide deployment. Also who really believes they're require an opt-in? Do you think we're retarded?

I swear, 2 days ago I saw a notification on my s7e saying that this had finished installing. Couldn't locate it anywhere on my phone however. hmm

maybe i was drunk.

Uhhh, are they literally rolling with the "we're only testing it, nothing to see here" play?

A) You don't do widespread "testing". So it being only on one device makes complete sense.

B) You don't just "test" something like this unless you're planning to roll it out on every device (eventually) if it yields the data you want.

All the more reason why I run a custom ROM on my Android phones.

These folks clearly didn't learn from the CarrierIQ incident with Sprint.

And in other news, Comcast and AT&T say that won't sell your customer data. Lotta noses getting a lot longer today.

Which is funny. The only reason this change was made was because the big guys wanted this change. Then suddenly after it gets done they all start saying that they aren't going to do it. So yeah, somebody is talking out their ass.

I actually seem to recall it being AT&T that wanted to charge people extra to not sell their information as they said that it was costing them too much to keep information private.

Verizon's response translates as, "We're playing with it on just one device. But obviously we like the idea enough to spend money on it. And while we have no immediate plans to expand, we think we will revisit this issue in a year after all our dumb customers forget we want to invade their silly privacy for money"

Back