Verizon: HTC Imagio or Droid?

Bloodgod42

Gawd
Ok, Im aware of the main differences between the two phones (physical keyboard, screen rez and such) however i have never used a Droid before and well...
A friend of mine just got the HTC Imagio. I have played with it and it seems to be a fairly solid piece of hardware. In my hand, it felt very much like an iPhone as far as weight and size goes, and too me thats a positive thing. the UI is ok. It's lacking but i hear there are some great apps to tweak it with so im being optimistic.
Over all i think it"s a pretty solid phone, however the Droid is coming out within her 30-day return policy and since she counts on me to be her tech guru, I was hoping to get a [H]ard opinion between the two, based on opinion from peeps that have used both preferably, but any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

you probably wont find to many people that have used both since the droid comes out in 6 days. I'd go with the droid by far.

After using WinMo for a while, and now Android, I'd go Android for sure. It's less polished, but it's got the better future.

I'm in the same situation and have decided to keep the Imagio since it should be getting Unlocked in the next few days now that the TP2 is unlocked... and also I can use a SIM card when I go abroad

I'm going Droid on the 6th. It's a sweet looking phone and I'm very excited. One downside of the Imagio is that it has older hardware powering the internals. I'm not sure well the phone performs, but I'm certain that this will limit your upgrade path to future releases of Windows Mobile.
I've used both Android and WinMo in the last year and Android wins easily for me, but this is a preference thing. Go to a Verizon store to play with Imagio, go to a Sprint or T-Mo store to play with Android and see what you think.
Good luck in your decision.

I'm in the same boat and after years of winmo devices I'm going with the droid.

To me, it doesn't matter if it's running winmo, apple, or android. I'm basically stuck with Verizon (not that it's a bad thing) so apple is out (wouldn't do it anyway because ATT blows).

Everything comes down to how useful my phone is. That means apps. Winmo has some apps - but their overall quality and interfaces are typically substandard. Android's app store is growing faster than microsoft's. The developer tools for Android are on par with Apple's - both of which blow microsoft's tools away. So I expect more apps to be ported to or written for Android before MS gets them.

Winmo is definately better in an exchange environment (android 2.0 does not deal with tasks) and their apps are getting better. HTC (the maker of the imagio) has done a lot to keep winmo alive, but for now it's too little too late.

Also, it's hard to pass on the new Google navigation app!

Great replies people. Keep 'em coming!

From what I have read so far, I will have to go down and get some hands-on with a Droid. (um, ok, that came out sounding a lil weird...):p

I will be keeping my Imagio for now for my company phone. Its a polished device and does what I need it to do. I may go Droid for my personal phone but have the luxury of selling both phones so customer feedback will go along way for me in my decision making process

Well i went and got some hands-on with the two android phones(MotoDroid and the HTC Eris) they had at verizon today. I was sadly disappointed in the build quality of the moto droid. It just felt so flimsy. light and cheap too me. :/ i was NOT impressed with the keyboard on the Moto Droid. no feedback, too flat and just cheap feeling. the speed and features seemed really nice, I just really wish it felt more solid.

I actually prefered the 'feel' of the cheaper/lesser Eris, however it has a smaller screen, no physical keyboard, no flash and it's running cupcake (android 1.5) compared to the 2.0 of the moto. Im not sure what the main differences are between 1.5 and 2.0, but none the less, newer is usually better...right? lol

Any input is still much appreciated! Thanks!

There are more apps for Windows Mobile than most people think. It's been around for the longest as a platform, and has had a lot of very useful applications. The only dis-advantage is that Microsoft has only just now implemented a store to consolidate them all. If you know where to look, there are some fantastic apps for Windows Mobile. The younger crowd probably doesn't remember much of that though.

Well i went and got some hands-on with the two android phones(MotoDroid and the HTC Eris) they had at verizon today. I was sadly disappointed in the build quality of the moto droid. It just felt so flimsy. light and cheap too me. :/ i was NOT impressed with the keyboard on the Moto Droid. no feedback, too flat and just cheap feeling. the speed and features seemed really nice, I just really wish it felt more solid.

I actually prefered the 'feel' of the cheaper/lesser Eris, however it has a smaller screen, no physical keyboard, no flash and it's running cupcake (android 1.5) compared to the 2.0 of the moto. Im not sure what the main differences are between 1.5 and 2.0, but none the less, newer is usually better...right? lol

Any input is still much appreciated! Thanks!

The Imagio and Eris do feel more "expensive" but the Droid is of no less quality. I believe the Droid has an aluminum chasis and that is why your getting that vibe. I also believe that the Droid chasis is a design choice do to the faster processor. It needs to be able to dissipate heat. Heat that I notice when hammering the GPS all day showing people. It is pure speculation on my part

PS, visual comparison here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1467157

Last edited:
You should spend a lot of time reading here:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88

That should give you an idea of not only what's possible now but also what is possible down the line. I will say that word on the street is that WinMo phones will have android ported over to them so they can technically do both, though I haven't researched it much yet. Here's an example:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=78851&highlight=android (and that's an older phone, the vogue aka touch)

Since my TP screen is dying I'm trying to decide between the 2 Driod devices and the Imagio as well...I guess I'm not throwing out the possibility of a TP2, but want something a little more pocket friendly.

Played with the Driod at a Verizon store for an hour last night. Very nice device overall, it will make a lot of people happy. But my TP2 has a better speaker phone, MUCH better keyboard, seems a little faster overall and the voice interface works much better.

Now this was just playing with it for a while and there may be so tweaks out there for some of the issues but my TP2 is on the stock 6.1 ROM with Sbp Mobile shell and looks pretty slick too.

WinMo 7 or bust for me. Or HD2 perhaps. Now that is THE phone right now, at least in Europe and Asia.

Back