Verizon HTC Droid DNA

M

mls1995

Should be a beast, even if it gets the rumored 2500mah battery [up from the J Butterfly 2020] that could be the Achilles heal since thats a ton of pixels but yeah should be nice if you can deal with the non removable battery etc

Nice phone... But seriously .. 5 inch screen? I know some people like it, but I'm not one for the "phablets" :. I seem to be the only person still happy with the iPhones screen size or even the original HTC Incredible. I hope they will still consider to make some 3.5-4.0 inch smartphones and hop them up with high end specs too. It seems whenever they release a device sub 4.3 inches, the specs are watered down.

Oh well.

Nice phone... But seriously .. 5 inch screen? I know some people like it, but I'm not one for the "phablets" :. I seem to be the only person still happy with the iPhones screen size or even the original HTC Incredible. I hope they will still consider to make some 3.5-4.0 inch smartphones and hop them up with high end specs too. It seems whenever they release a device sub 4.3 inches, the specs are watered down.

Oh well.

I've noticed this as well. I always thought that the original iPhone up through the 4s was the perfect size. The Droid Incredible (my previous phone) was a very similar size. At the time that I purchased my Incredible, the EVO 4G and Droid X were the "monster" phones. At 4.3", they were just too damn big.

I upgraded to the international SGS2 with a 4.3" screen. It was just a little too large for me then, but now it feels small for some reason. Still, devices like the Galaxy Nexus and SGS3 feel just a tad too large for me. Forget about the Note series.

Right now, there's only a few 4-4.3" with adequate specs, but none with quad-core chips that I can see. The Droid Incredible 4G on Verizon uses a Snapdragon S4, though slightly under-clocked to 1.2ghz (likely due to heat dissipation). The international HTC One S uses a 4.3" screen and a dual-core 1.5ghz Krait. That's near top of the line. The Sony Xperia V is similar, 4.3" screen and dual-core 1.5ghz (Krait). Ditto the Xperia S.

Lastly, and the one that seems to fit the bill best (unless you can get the DI4G on Verizon) is the Sony Xperia P. It's got a 4" display and a dual-core 1ghz CPU w/Mali-400MP GPU. It's a Sony NOVA SOC, but it's essentially the same as Exynos 4, just slightly under-clocked. The DI4G is a more powerful device, but again, is limited to one specific CDMA carrier.

Another worthless carrier phone, this one is from HTC so you will probably never see any upgrade

Another worthless carrier phone, this one is from HTC so you will probably never see any upgrade

No need to troll. HTC has done a decent job of upgrades on their Verizon devices. My original Incredible went from 2.1 to 2.2, and then finally 2.3. It received its last update several months ago, more than 2 years after release. The Incredible 2 got updated to 4.0. I can't think of a device released by HTC on Verizon in the past 12 months that isn't slated to get at least 4.1.

So by all means, hate on carriers (I do as well), and hate on HTC. But give us a factual reason for doing so. There are VERY few people on this board dumb enough to fall for that kind of FUD.

No need to troll. HTC has done a decent job of upgrades on their Verizon devices. My original Incredible went from 2.1 to 2.2, and then finally 2.3. It received its last update several months ago, more than 2 years after release. The Incredible 2 got updated to 4.0. I can't think of a device released by HTC on Verizon in the past 12 months that isn't slated to get at least 4.1.

So by all means, hate on carriers (I do as well), and hate on HTC. But give us a factual reason for doing so. There are VERY few people on this board dumb enough to fall for that kind of FUD.

The thunderbolt? did you forget about that one?

The thunderbolt? did you forget about that one?

The Thunderbolt came out at a bad time. It shipped with Android 2.3. The next Android releases were the 3.x HC variants, which never came in an official capacity to a smartphone. The Thunderbolt was released on March 17, 2011. ICS went to source on October 11, 2011. The device SHOULD have been updated by April 2012, but wasn't. Both HTC and Verizon confirmed update plans for it that never materialized.

That's one phone, compared to the numerous phones by HTC on Verizon that have received multiple updates. Just because one phone didn't receive an update doesn't guarantee that the DNA won't. That's faulty logic and why you were called out.

The Thunderbolt came out at a bad time. It shipped with Android 2.3. The next Android releases were the 3.x HC variants, which never came in an official capacity to a smartphone. The Thunderbolt was released on March 17, 2011. ICS went to source on October 11, 2011. The device SHOULD have been updated by April 2012, but wasn't. Both HTC and Verizon confirmed update plans for it that never materialized.

That's one phone, compared to the numerous phones by HTC on Verizon that have received multiple updates. Just because one phone didn't receive an update doesn't guarantee that the DNA won't. That's faulty logic and why you were called out.

You also forgot to mention the time it took for HTC to update the phones, more than 6 months is a bit long by any standards and in the case of the rezound it took almost 9 months. I'm just saying HTC would be my last choice if i wanted to buy a carrier subsidized phone

You also forgot to mention the time it took for HTC to update the phones, more than 6 months is a bit long by any standards and in the case of the rezound it took almost 9 months. I'm just saying HTC would be my last choice if i wanted to buy a carrier subsidized phone

Actually, I didn't forget anything. You're simply redirecting to avoid attention on your original claim. You stated:

Just be a man and admit you exaggerated, just a little :)

As to your claim, 4-7 months is typical of an update for a non-branded non-Nexus device. Adding 1-3 months for carrier branding is typical. Case in point, my SGS2 received Android 4.0.3 in April 2012, 6 months after ICS came out. Domestic variants started to trickle in with their updates about 2-4 months later, or 8-10 month total. A 9-month update wait is typical for a carrier-branded device. It's not unheard of on Verizon or for HTC.

Actually, I didn't forget anything. You're simply redirecting to avoid attention on your original claim. You stated:

Just be a man and admit you exaggerated, just a little :)

As to your claim, 4-7 months is typical of an update for a non-branded non-Nexus device. Adding 1-3 months for carrier branding is typical. Case in point, my SGS2 received Android 4.0.3 in April 2012, 6 months after ICS came out. Domestic variants started to trickle in with their updates about 2-4 months later, or 8-10 month total. A 9-month update wait is typical for a carrier-branded device. It's not unheard of on Verizon or for HTC.

It's easy for you to say i exaggerate, try telling that to the people who bought the Thunderbolt, Amaze, they will have to be stuck with a phone for 2 years. You make it seem like, "its ok not to support a few phones", or it doesn't hurt anyone to update the phone 5-7 months after google release their new Android version,
I wonder what phone you have

Name and manufacturer with a better track record on updates on non-Nexus android devices ...

Debate over.

See, you're redirecting again. You stated:

You make it seem like, "its ok not to support a few phones"

Nope, never said anything of the sort. I was just correcting your FUD, where you stated that HTC never updates their devices. They clearly update most of their devices multiple times, as I stated.

or it doesn't hurt anyone to update the phone 5-7 months after google release their new Android version

I already explained this. Please read posts before you reply to them. What you're doing right now is akin to just hitting the quote button and typing, "I MAEK POAST!!111tententen"

I wonder what phone you have

I stated this in the post that you quoted. Again, read before quoting.

Name and manufacturer with a better track record on updates on non-Nexus android devices ...

Debate over.

Do you really want to go there :D

But truthfully, it would be hard to name one. Sony has picked up the slack, but they're a little behind. Motorola only wins in bizarro world. Samsung wins for flagship devices, IMO. But that's a marginal difference. HTC does better than Samsung on most carrier-banded devices, but again, a marginal difference. So they're about even.

So yea, other than Nexus devices, I feel that there are no OEMs that do a clearly better job than HTC at updating their handsets. I'm more partial to Samsung due to the fact that I use international handsets. That's where they beat HTC in support.

Why does it matter when the carrier updates the phone when HTC lets you unlock the bootloader and load whatever ROM you want on it?

Why does it matter when the carrier updates the phone when HTC lets you unlock the bootloader and load whatever ROM you want on it?

There are many people that prefer to run a device stock. I'm now one of them. I went from rooting, running custom ROMs, to developing my own ROM on the Incredible (maintained on XDA), to getting an unlocked device with no carrier restrictions to avoid having to do that.

For many people, the best ROM is the one that comes with the phone.

There are many people that prefer to run a device stock. I'm now one of them. I went from rooting, running custom ROMs, to developing my own ROM on the Incredible (maintained on XDA), to getting an unlocked device with no carrier restrictions to avoid having to do that.

For many people, the best ROM is the one that comes with the phone.
I agree.

The rom I run on my GNex at this point has very subtle alterations. I'd be fine with stock but just too lazy to go back.

It is nice to have nightlies though - if Google pushes a new release to AOSP, I get it the next day.

The Droid X was my first Android phone - that NEEDED modification to be responsive like iOS. Between custom launchers, 2nd-init roms, removing bloat, etc ,etc, I did quite a bit of work to get the phone the way I wanted it. Was an unbelievable piece of hardware though. Really hoping Moto gives us an AOSP device at some point in the future.

Looks like I missed a spirited debate. Anyway, I think this phone looks pretty nice. That's one heck of a nice screen. Should be very competitive with the Note 2.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57548677-94/verizon-and-htcs-latest-twist-the-$199-droid-dna/

why can't this be the Nexus 5?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57548677-94/verizon-and-htcs-latest-twist-the-$199-droid-dna/

why can't this be the Nexus 5?

I love it. It is a sexy beast of a device. If HTC had the balls to sell this globally (call it the One XL for all I care) and give it software updates for a full 2 years, they would have a hit on their hands.

If you're on Verizon and want a medium large Android, this slots in nicely between the SGS3 and SGN2.

Could be one of the best Android devices ever. However, it being HTC, Verizon and a locked bootloader will leave it in the realm of mediocrity. HTC is not good at upgrading devices (Thunderbolt users are still waiting on ICS and 2.3 for Dinc took forever). Verizon takes forever to approve the updates, again see TBolt and Dinc. Locked bootloader prevents CM, AOKP, and others from building AOSP and tossing shit Sense to the curb.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Last edited:
The phone is pretty much the same size as the One X/GS3, and still has a 5" screen. Let's not call it a phablet like the Note 2.

HTC continue to screw themselves and continue the grand tradition of anemic batteries in superphones. They started with the Evo 4G and still haven't learnt a thing. They make gorgeous hardware, then cripple it with crap like this. I don't mind the non-removable battery, but HTC seems to have an official policy of no sd cards now.

I'm surprised Verizon only priced this at $199. And the power button is in the top center of the phone? That's really weird.

The phone is pretty much the same size as the One X/GS3, and still has a 5" screen. Let's not call it a phablet like the Note 2.

HTC continue to screw themselves and continue the grand tradition of anemic batteries in superphones. They started with the Evo 4G and still haven't learnt a thing. They make gorgeous hardware, then cripple it with crap like this. I don't mind the non-removable battery, but HTC seems to have an official policy of no sd cards now.

I'm surprised Verizon only priced this at $199. And the power button is in the top center of the phone? That's really weird.

Pricing for the device is superb but it won't save it. the size will turn some people off. Honestly make it a 4.7 with a 720p 300ppi screen with unlocked bootloader for $175 with contract and it's an instant seller.

Power button is same place the Droid X was right?

I love the specs and screen, but 16gb + no microSD slots mean you can watch like 2 1080p movies to take advantage of that screen.

I love the specs and screen, but 16gb + no microSD slots mean you can watch like 2 1080p movies to take advantage of that screen.

This. I was willing to forgive HTC for my TB but that is unacceptable. If it was 32GB and a 64GB option then I'd consider it.

Also I'm one of the few that bought a Thunderbolt at launch. Still have it to this day running a hacked up ICS.

If HTC would just release the god damn RIL source code so that devs can just fix the TB I'd be happy. But nooooooooo. :(:mad:

crap. Guess I'm back to waiting for a good big phone to come out

At some point, bigger isn't better. 5" is ridiculous.
But it's not much bigger than the SGS3 or the One X.

GS3: 5.38 x 2.78 x 0.34 (136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm)
One X+: 5.29 x 2.75 x 0.35 (134.36 x 69.9 x 8.9 mm)
Droid DNA: 5.55 x 2.78 x 0.38 (141 x 70.5 x 9.73 mm)
GN2: 5.94 x 3.17 x 0.37 (151 x 80.5 x 9.4 mm)
(Source: PhoneArena)

And this is why Samsung continues to sell. They don't cut features like sd cards and removable batteries because they're trying to be 'cool' like Apple/HTC/MS/Google and understand that users like them, no matter how much hype these companies spew about the magical cloud. esp when in most of the world data is slow and expensive.

HTC need to fire whoever made the decision that the One line would never support these, otherwise they are well on their way to oblivion.

no matter how much hype these companies spew about the magical cloud. esp when in most of the world data is slow and expensive.
Why would you be downloading GBs of data without wifi? Cloud on wifi is the future. I'm assuming you're still hanging on to tape drives and cds.

Why would you be downloading GB of data without wifi? Cloud on wifi is the future. I'm assuming you're still hanging on to tape drives and cds.

Its a phone. I use it in places where there's no wifi - you know, like a flight, the market, the park, peoples houses. Maybe you are happy being tied to a wifi network wherever you go.

And I don't need to download a single byte of data, because I have this thing called expandable local storage, and there's no reason not to have it in a phone.

Its a phone. I use it in places where there's no wifi - you know, like a flight, the market, the park, peoples houses. Maybe you are happy being tied to a wifi network wherever you go.

And I don't need to download a single byte of data, because I have this thing called expandable local storage, and there's no reason not to have it in a phone.
Just bear with me here. Let's say your phone only has wifi connectivity and that's your only access to data. How much time are you spending on your device in the market? In the park? And in other people's houses? (I'm also assuming you have access to something with a bigger screen and larger battery such as a laptop on a flight and that you do not fly often, so I'm ignoring the flight scenario.)

I don't understand why you would need to have access to all those data in the first place.
  • What are you doing in a market? Listening to countless number songs for hours and hours cause you'd be shopping for hours and hours without talking to anyone? (Not that it matters much cause you can easily fit 4 hrs of high quality music in 4GB)
  • What are you doing in a park? Not exercising/enjoying nature?
  • What are you doing as a guest in another person's house? Being rude by watching a movie on your phone? And why not use your friend's wifi?

The point I'm trying to make is its nice to have all the data on my phone, rather than having to choose what to fit. e.g. the other day I was at a friends place and we wanted to play some music, and she doesn't have broadband. Since I have over 6GB of music on my phone, everyone was able to listen to what they want. I also carry around a bunch of exercise/mobility videos that I can watch anywhere.

These are smartphones, they are meant to be used for a variety of things. All the scenarios you listed are basically justifying life without a smartphone. It doesn't matter if I fly only once a year, for that one time I don't want to have to hassle.

There is no reason NOT to have an sdcard in the phone. I could adjust to not having one, after all I survived without a smartphone and with carrying a tiny 2GB mp3 player, separate camera etc as well. But there is no reason to make a compromise today.

The point I'm trying to make is its nice to have all the data on my phone, rather than having to choose what to fit. e.g. the other day I was at a friends place and we wanted to play some music, and she doesn't have broadband. Since I have over 6GB of music on my phone, everyone was able to listen to what they want. I also carry around a bunch of exercise/mobility videos that I can watch anywhere.

These are smartphones, they are meant to be used for a variety of things. All the scenarios you listed are basically justifying life without a smartphone. It doesn't matter if I fly only once a year, for that one time I don't want to have to hassle.

There is no reason NOT to have an sdcard in the phone. I could adjust to not having one, after all I survived without a smartphone and with carrying a tiny 2GB mp3 player, separate camera etc as well. But there is no reason to make a compromise today.
Thank you for understanding my point. I just can't see many reasons why I would need access to all that data. Saying cloud is crap and total hype is just wrong.

I would like 32 GB to be standard. But 16 GB is surely enough for me.

Considering its only 10-12GB usable, then if you install a few games, take some backups etc you pretty soon run into limits. The cloud is all hype unless everyone gets cheap unlimited bandwidth.

These are perfect examples of why we have differing products. Neither of you will convince the other because you have vastly differing needs in a device. I will say that 1080p on a 16gb device on a tiered data plan is an epic fail for media consumers. Device is nice sans those limitations, just like the Nexus 4.

Back