• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Verizon FIOS.

Verizon FIOS opintions!

  • Tried it! Loved it getting it! Great value for the money.

    Votes: 8 4.8%
  • What?

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • It's not yet avalible or to exspensive.

    Votes: 136 81.0%
  • I am a proud owner!! LOVE IT!!!!!

    Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Who needs it I got 1337 56K!!!!HAHAHA!!!

    Votes: 7 4.2%

  • Total voters
    168
Jodiuh said:
Aside from speeds, is there any difference to cable/dsl? Latency?

The type of cable used. ;)
I think the names different too. ;)



Here are some advantages of DSL:

* You can leave your Internet connection open and still use the phone line for voice calls.
* The speed is much higher than a regular dial-up modem
* DSL doesn't necessarily require new wiring; it can use the phone line you already have.
* The company that offers DSL will usually provide the modem as part of the installation.

But there are disadvantages:

* A DSL connection works better when you are closer to the provider's central office.
* The connection is faster for receiving data than it is for sending data over the Internet.
* The service is not available everywhere.





http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/fiber-optic.htm
 
How I wish it was available. Unfortunately, I don't see it getting to Houston anytime soon.
 
scottatwittenberg said:
bringing this back.. i got it today.. silver spring MD...

the problem.. i run even 1 torrent, and the thing just dies.. i need to figure this out..
its a 15/2 for $45 as far as i can tell..

i need to figure out this torrent thing though.. it was suggested that it could be the router.. we have that huge actiontec thing with wireless.. could i even get a cable modem to replace that? is there even one? the cable going into it looks like a normal ethernet cable.

I don't have any problems with torrents and that humongous actiontec router......it works fine for me right out of the box
 
it's available by me and we're getting it soon. switching from comcast "highspeed" internet

:D My friends have it and they say it's awesome!!!!!! :cool:
 
I'm waiting for them to run it in my town. It'd be the only reason I'd get rid of DSL. Cable is such a crapshoot on my side of town.
 
Carp said:
You're all lucky....

I can only get 56k here.

AND I CAN'T EVEN CONNECT THAT FAST!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! oh man, I'm so sorry. So, so sorry!
 
I've got zee fios (In Pittsburgh suburb).

It's pretty darn fast off of the base computer. Its also fast off of the wireless router that they threw me, but it'll lag for a few seconds, then come back. Probably a router issue.

Hey...I'll go start a thread and ask if anyone can help :p
 
So I saw a couple Verizon peeps giving out flashlights and some other stuff promoting Fios. I asked them when their coming to my town, and the reply I got was "Are they digging up the area by the highway?" Me: Nope Them: "Well then keep waiting."

They was so nice to me..lol
 
we were the first on the block to have a cable modem, which was sweet in 1998, and now we are the first to fios. im not concerned with them blocking webservers, as they are friggin cheap on a monthly basis these days. 100 gigs for only 5 a month. thats dirt cheap.

Fios is nice, though i didnt see a drop in my pings when gaming, but it makes downloading a lot faster, when your only getting 88 kbs on a dl you know its not you, but other then that it seems to max out the file servers, but not me.

cheers
 
Just for reference, On my favorite CZ server I would get an average ping of 50-60 from a college connection (that was about ten minutes from my house), 40 from my comcast connection, 40-50 from verizon dsl, and about 15-20 with FIOS (with drops down as low as 4 randomly). Oh yea, and about 140 with dial up :p

Yes, I did have 4 different connections at my house in a time period of 6 months. We had comcast for such a long time, then they jacked the price up so we dropped em. So we switched to dsl. It was aight, but we got letters about this FIOS stuff, so we changed to that. In the process of installing FIOS, they messed up my phone lines and the actual FIOS box, so we had dial-up for about a month (parents need their internet for work). Now I'm just back to FIOS and glad that I'm out of that hell.
 
UltimaParadox said:
Are you saying the router and the modem are one unit supplied by Verizon?
in another post i made, i was informed that the modem is in a box on the side of the house, and the router is just a normal router.. both were supplied by verizon..
 
Its widely available in single family home in my area but not highrises condos where I live :(

I have a few coworkers that have it and they love it.
 
When you get it, ask them to install the box on the inside of the house (if your cables are underground). They'll do anything to get a customer.

I say todo that because they hook your phone lines up to the box, and if you have it outside, someone with a screwdriver could completely disconnect you without a ladder or going to the pole.
 
VulturEMaN said:
someone with a screwdriver could completely disconnect you without a ladder or going to the pole.


just like they could do before the ONT is installed....I don't see your point
 
:confused:

I'm not sure about your house, but nobody could access my phone lines and cable lines from outside my house without getting a ladder and taking it to the pole....

So when they were like "omg we want to route your phone lines outside so we can put the box outside!", I was like "......ummm no...put it right next to the breaker panel in the power room...where your cable was run to...."

And they bitched.
And complained.
But they did it anyways.
 
VulturEMaN said:
:confused:

I'm not sure about your house, but nobody could access my phone lines and cable lines from outside my house without getting a ladder and taking it to the pole....

So when they were like "omg we want to route your phone lines outside so we can put the box outside!", I was like "......ummm no...put it right next to the breaker panel in the power room...where your cable was run to...."

And they bitched.
And complained.
But they did it anyways.
that's cool, all of our wire is underground, so it kinda had to go outside
 
I've had FIOS since April or something, I forget when we got it exactly, but it beats my old time warner connection hands down. 20 / 5. for $45.
Haven't had any connection issues, and webserver stuff isn't an issue since I have $5 a month hosting anyway.
I'm about to set up the computers to go wireless for internet soon, so hopefully this wireless router they gave me will hold up well.
 
what?!?!!

Wasn't texas the testbed for FIOS???

I may be completely wrong, but I think you're wrong there :p
 
heh, I wish the entire state of TX was the testbed...
I live here in Euless, pretty much between Dallas and Fort Worth, and it's available in Keller, a bit north of here, but not where I am. = \

I have DSL at 1.5/384 and I can't go any higher, like to a 3 or 6mb connection because I live too far away for a faster connection. I want FiOS so bad, but no, its not here. I need to call AT&T anyway..I'm paying too much for the connection I have now as it is.

One of the guys that works for my dad has it at his house in Keller, and we went to his house to help him move some furniture, where I found out about the fact that he has FiOS.
I asked him "Which transmission speed package do you have?" "Oh, I don't know..."
"Hmm...well what kinds of speeds do you usually see when you're downloading files or running bandwidth tests?" "Well, I don't really use it that much so, I'm not sure."

I couldn't believe it...he's got it, but doesn't even appreciate it or use it enough to make it worthwhile to him. Why can't we trade?! :(
 
We have it here in Annapolis, Maryland (Well, town right next to it - suburbs). It's funny because right after we moved here Fios became available in this area. I think its a good service. We have the 15/2 $44.00 package. No connection drops. Uber speeds, though a bit overkill if you only have one PC in the house.
 
Quellex said:
We have it here in Annapolis, Maryland (Well, town right next to it - suburbs). It's funny because right after we moved here Fios became available in this area. I think its a good service. We have the 15/2 $44.00 package. No connection drops. Uber speeds, though a bit overkill if you only have one PC in the house.

+1 for a local!!!! WOOT!
 
umm i live in 48471, MI don't even have DSL or Cable Internet yet, so odds of having this, SLIM TO NONE :p
 
Not yet available but we do show as "Future Deployment"
 
Shameless Liar said:
They never have 'nice things' like this in California :(

I'm not complaining though. I already have 5.0/384 connection.


says you, i have it here in so-cal, you just need to be in the right city.
 
scottatwittenberg said:
bringing this back.. i got it today.. silver spring MD...

the problem.. i run even 1 torrent, and the thing just dies.. i need to figure this out..
its a 15/2 for $45 as far as i can tell..

i need to figure out this torrent thing though.. it was suggested that it could be the router.. we have that huge actiontec thing with wireless.. could i even get a cable modem to replace that? is there even one? the cable going into it looks like a normal ethernet cable.
98EXL said:
I'm near Annapolis, MD...and I didn't almost piss myself, I almost shit myself
Quellex said:
We have it here in Annapolis, Maryland (Well, town right next to it - suburbs). It's funny because right after we moved here Fios became available in this area. I think its a good service. We have the 15/2 $44.00 package. No connection drops. Uber speeds, though a bit overkill if you only have one PC in the house.

Lucky asses. Verizon put FIOS in the affluent well to do areas first i.e. silver spring, wheaton, takoma park, the rest of montgomery county, and annapolis for sure being the capitol and all Im living literally on the baltimore county/city line and im technically on city property since they had to make a call of whether im city or county so of course i dont get FIOS cuz baltimore shitty doesnt get shit but crime and corrupt cops/politicians. so i foresee me getting FIOS in 08
 
khuyakuya said:
Lucky asses. Verizon put FIOS in the affluent well to do areas first i.e. silver spring, wheaton, takoma park, the rest of montgomery county, and annapolis for sure being the capitol and all Im living literally on the baltimore county/city line and im technically on city property since they had to make a call of whether im city or county so of course i dont get FIOS cuz baltimore shitty doesnt get shit but crime and corrupt cops/politicians. so i foresee me getting FIOS in 08


lucky no, they just figured out where they wanted to put things first, who would actually buy this service. I have a friend in Parkville who is dying to get off his speakeasy dsl and get on FIOS after I talk about how sweet it is all the time.

Speaking of [not] sweet, anyone who has the FIOS TV, do you know how to make the cable boxes turn back on after a power failure?
 
Back
Top