Verizon DSL random Disconnect

steven1110

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I recently moved and had to start using Verizon DSL for the first time. They sent me a wireless modem (Westell 327 I believe) and I've noticed that randomly the modem will disconnect for no reason it seems. Typically, If you wait long enough it'll automatically reconnect but sometimes I have to reboot it to get it to do so.

Now I've contacted Verizon about it and they ran a line test and said their end was good. We also went through the boring steps of clear cookies, and temp internet files..snooze.

But anyway, I was just wondering if you guys have any idea what could be causing the disconnect. Also, I'm not real familiar with the lingo associated with modem and IP's and the such so try to keep the technical stuff to a minimum if you can. Sorry for the inconvience :D

Thanks

Steven

When the service drops out, does the normal modem lights remain on or do they go off?

I work for a cable company so we deal with coax lines instead of the tele lines, but it will still help.

If the modem lights remain on, the wireless may be getting interference or just a shitty wireless built into the modem. If the lights DO go out, then there may be a problem with the line thats intermitten. If you call them when the service is working obviously they are going to tell you its working fine from there end.

First we need to find out if it is the modem or router dropping the connection.

When you can't access the internet can you still ping the router?

There are basically 2 lights that show connectivity on the modem. I don't exactly know what each one means but from what I can tell the left one blinks in there isn't connectivity and is solid(no blinking) if there is. Now the right one I guess shows if you have an established connection. For example, if both lights are on I CAN access the internet or whatever. There are times when the right light is out and the left light is solid but I'm not able to access anything. And then of course just blinking green means I can't do anything as well.

For more information, I have a hard line from the modem/router to the computer. No wireless for me yet.

Also, how do I ping the router??

Thanks for everything so far

Also, how do I ping the router??

Thanks for everything so far

One method..find the routers LAN IP address. Start==>Run==>CMD...type in IPCONFIG and <enter>
Note the gateway...say it's 192.168.1.1

Now..you can always ping an IP...the question is..will you get replies or not. So..type in "ping 192.168.1.1" (assuming that's what it tells you your gateway is) and hit <enter>

Since you're connected now..probably get replies. But do this when you appear to be disconnected. If you still get replies...your LAN connection is fine. So next step..try to ping something like www.google.com and see if you get replies.

Back