Verizon DSL is SLOW...any suggestions?

gr!m

Limp Gawd
So I am paying for a connection that is supposed to be 3mb/768kb. I checked my speedtest.net results and I don't feel like coding the pic but I get about 1.5mbs down and only 100kbs up. Horrible. Anyways I need suggestions as to why my internet could be so bleeding slow.

Things I've tried:

I tried adjusting my about:config in firefox to load pages faster. Did not help.
I tried upgrading my firmware, geez....it's hard to download 2.5 MB when I'm downloading at 15kb/s....and I've tried from multiple places.
I tried fooling with the settings, reseting my pc, and reseting the router multiple times. Nothing.

To tell you the truth I'm tempted to call verizon and tell them to shove it. The last update available for my roouter/modem was back in 2005, and I JUST got it from Best Buy.

Here is my info.

Windows XP
Router/Modem is the Actiontec GT704-WG
I am using a gigabit ethernet port and im not using wireless.

My homepage is set to google in firefox and it takes roughly 15 seconds just to load basic google. Other pages take anywhere from 5 -30 seconds. I am talking big name high bandwidth sites, nothing with overzealous amounts of traffic or other odd things that could possibly slow it.

PLEASE HELP ME....i'm seconds from throwing the damn modem out the window. It's slower than the 56k connection i had more than TEN years ago.

Call them up and ask them to check it out, My sister has Verizon DSL 768/128
and it's pretty snappy when i've used it.

-Good Luck

but I get about 1.5mbs down and only 100kbs up. Horrible.

PLEASE HELP ME....i'm seconds from throwing the damn modem out the window. It's slower than the 56k connection i had more than TEN years ago.

Not adding up. 1.5mbs down isn't so bad - do you mean 1.5kbs?

Try forcing your connection to the router as 100mb/full duplex and rerun the speed test

Mind you the max speed you will get is dependent on a shit load of things including the phone cables in your house. Have them run tests and if you still have issues you can have them send a tech out.

1.5 isn't that bad. Shit I know more then a few companies that run on less. I get around a meg on my evdo card in a lot of areas and thats fine for surfing the net and whatnot.

FYI Actiontec sucks balls. See if they will switch it for a westell modem or something. It is not that they are that good, just better then actiontec. Friend has the actiontec fios router and we had to throw an access point in as the xbox wireless adapter would not connect to it.

DSL is highly sensitive to line quality and distance. Unlike cable which normally is of good quality the RJ-11 wires in your house could be the culprit (it's a small possibility).

Back