Verizon DSL Going slow. Help!

I just got verizon DSL (1.5 MBps) and it is going super slow. My downloads on azureus go about 20 - 30 kbps. Also even downloading from websites is slow as well. I have tried port forwarding. It doesn't work. I have a westell 6100 modem. I have it hooked into the ethernet port. Does the download speed differ if you hook it up in the USB, or the ethernet? Thanks.

So do you have a router in between your computer and modem? If so, have you tried connecting your computer straight to the modem.

You can go to http://www.dslreports.com/stest and test the speed of your connection. If it isn't "as advertised" I would call them up and ask them if they are having problems etc. Seeing as you just got it, they could have configured something wrong on their end etc.

Alright I did the speed test. It said I was going at 1400 MBps which is 61% worse than the average verizon.net user. So why is my azureus going at only 20 - 30 KBps? Where are the other kbs going.

PS I don't have a a router connected.

From http://www.getazureus.com/support.php:

Why are my speeds so slow? What speed should I be getting?
When downloading and uploading at the same time, it's best to limit your upload speed to get better results with your download speed. Set your upload speed to slightly less than your maximum bandwidth. (Check your Internet connection specifications to find out your bandwidth. When calculating, you might have to convert kilobits per second (kbps) to kilobytes per second (kB/s); if so, keep in mind that 8 kbps equals 1 kB/s.) Also, speeds depend on the torrent itself: the number of seeds or peers on a torrent and their connection speeds will affect your upload and download speeds.

This page seems to have more links on troubleshooting speed problems.

Good Luck!

Thanks KevinO! My downloads immediately went up to around 95 - 120 KBps. I also didn't realize that kBps and kbps were different measures. Thanks.

Back