Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 review

• Thread starter Deleted member 19858
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19858

Normally I don't post my reviews on any other forums. I wanted to post this one since I have only seen like 1 review on this product which wasn't very good IMO. You guys have also helped me in the past with networking questions so I figured I could give something back. Anyways please let me know what you think I always like to hear feedback.

review link

Hey, thanks for posting this. I am looking at upgrading some of my earlier versions of Backup Exec and was wondering if you could look and see how good the support is in 9.1 for backing up to mapped drives/remote locations - I know that later versions support this, how good is the support and how is it implemented ( sees it as just another possible location, treats it as a whole different thing versus tape, trickle backups over a period of time, other features,etc)

EvilTwig said:
Hey, thanks for posting this. I am looking at upgrading some of my earlier versions of Backup Exec and was wondering if you could look and see how good the support is in 9.1 for backing up to mapped drives/remote locations - I know that later versions support this, how good is the support and how is it implemented ( sees it as just another possible location, treats it as a whole different thing versus tape, trickle backups over a period of time, other features,etc)

You don't back up to mapped drives, you create a backup-to-disk location (basically just pointing BE to a share on another system). Just make sure that system isn't a part of your backup set.

I upgraded from 8.6 to 9.1 and it was a small bitch. They've switched their catalog system from flat files to an MSDE db. The same thing with job logs. You have to run a couple utilities to export crap and some stuff just will not transfer. Be prepared to recreate backup jobs.

Also note that by default it only keeps job logs for 30 days.

da sponge said:
You don't back up to mapped drives, you create a backup-to-disk location (basically just pointing BE to a share on another system). Just make sure that system isn't a part of your backup set.

I upgraded from 8.6 to 9.1 and it was a small bitch. They've switched their catalog system from flat files to an MSDE db. The same thing with job logs. You have to run a couple utilities to export crap and some stuff just will not transfer. Be prepared to recreate backup jobs.

Also note that by default it only keeps job logs for 30 days.

Thanks for clarifying!

Be prepared to recreate backup jobs.

I can vouch for that.
I rolled us to 9.1 about 2 months ago. Most of it went painlessly, but recreating all the jobs was a B*TCH. Of course, now that I've spent 4 hours on Veritas Tech Support (the gusy there are VERY good), I have discovered the method to export backup jobs and move them to a new Library. It's nice to know for future rollovers.

As for 9.1 itself, it is VERY robust. The program can do anything if you tweak it enough. I'm still trying to do some things to get our speeds up. Now that we have one tape drive on 30+ servers, it's starting to pass our normal backup window.

ill admit it...i got a pirated copy of it..JUST FOR TESTING PURPOSES..I SWEAR!

But after using it for a week, i can say it is a very good product, industry standard if i might add.....i will definitley be pushing to buy a copy of it.

I have also had to use Veritas support where I work (not for the review) and they are very good. I have talked with the Windows and Netware side of support since we still run Novell :( Here at work we also run Backup Exec 8.5 for Netware which is junk in comparison to 9.1 for Windows.

Glad you guys like the review.

killerasp said:
ill admit it...i got a pirated copy of it..JUST FOR TESTING PURPOSES..I SWEAR!
You don't need a pirated copy. Just download the program from their web site and install it. It will run as a FULLY functional 30 eval.

We've moved up from Backup Exec to NetBackup Data Center...good app... most of the time. We ran in to a big bug backing up volumes with VSS enabled, though.

Zlash said:
I think it's pretty much self explanatory.
Predisposed preponderancies for such httpd indulgences may skew any iis proclivities :eek:

That said; I just “fingerprinted” nasdaq.com and for some crazy reason 2K3 & IIS6 was returned. Now that is a website that falls into the category of needing to remain "up" & “available” hmmm? what gives?

2 much coffee 2 day :)

Back