Verify my budget build

mt100

n00b
Building a light gaming PC for the first time since the Athlon X2 chips were out and popular and wanted some verification on my build. The max resolution I will be gaming at is 1920x1080 since that is the highest my monitor supports and I don't want to upgrade it at the moment since it is a dual setup but gaming would only be on one monitor of course. I will also not expect to play new games at high levels of detail and accept that settings will need to be turned down in some cases.

The main type of games I play would be things like the Hitman series and Mafia series, some sort of space combat game if I can find one I like.

I would prefer to not buy used if possible but if it meant getting something significantly better, like the GPU, for the same money I would consider it.

My first thought was to build a Ryzen 5 5600G computer and use the integrated graphics and upgrade the GPU down the road but it seems like a better option to just get a GPU from the start so that made me switch to an Intel CPU. I know the new Ryzens were announced today but I don't know anything about them and pricing and performance to know if one of those would be a better option or not.

Motherboard: MSI PRO H610M-G - $90
CPU: Core i3-12100F - $110
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series DDR4 8GB (2 x 4GB) 3200MHz Kit - $37
SSD: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 512GB SLC Cache 3D NAND TLC 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive SSD - $31
PSU: Gigabyte GP-P450B - $50
GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce GTX 1650 OC 4GB GDDR6 - $170

I'd find some cheap case to put it all in bringing the total minus case to $488. I would be really open to any ideas to save money if possible or suggestions for different components that are better suited. I know PSU units can be had cheaper and would love to save some money if possible.

What are the opinions and thoughts?

Don't buy a Gigabyte PSU. They have a bad track record in that regard. I agree with bumping up to 16gb otherwise it is a solid build.

The swing to 16GB can be covered by a little savings in the PSU so that works for me!

Both of those are almost as terrible as the Gigabyte PSU. They produce out-of-spec, component-destroying ripple at anywhere close to their advertised output.

So, if those power supplies are the only ones that are available within your price budget, and the purchase of any better quality PSU (even at lower advertised wattage ratings) forces you to go with a substandard CPU and GPU and an insufficient amount of RAM, then you might as well build nothing at all.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As has been said, you may want to try for the 1660 Super as it has 6 GB and this can make a surprisingly big difference in certain graphical settings in newer games. I bought the 1650 Super recently and during my investigation I did notice that in some of the newer games (Halo Infinite, Forza 5) the 1650 has issues at Ultra settings at 1080p due to the 4GB of video memory. At these settings, the 1650 Super really takes a kicking and the 1660 Super basically starts to double it in performance (eg. ~25 fps vs 45 fps). I don't know the exact reason but I am guessing that the 1650 Super might be dropping frames because of inadequate video buffer size at these higher settings and resolution(?) I think that the general takeaway is that 4 GB of GDDR is just not enough anymore for modern gaming. At lower res/detail the 1650 Super and 1660 Super aren't too far apart in terms of performance but I just wanted to let you know about this as it really depends on the types of games that want to play and the graphical settings that you want to maintain at 1080p. If you are hoping to max out Halo, Forza and other new games at the 1080p resolution then I do think you will be much happier with the 1660 Super.

In my case, I mainly went with the 1650 Super as I was concerned about power consumption in my SFF. If this wasn't a concern I would have definitely gone with the 1660 Super or possibly even the RTX 2060 since they weren't far apart price-wise a few months ago.

Another bad PSU recommendation, IMHO. The non-80-Plus PSUs bearing the eVGA brand name are also almost as terrible as the Gigabyte PSU that the OP originally had in the list. In fact, like most other PSU brands, eVGA has both good ones and bad ones. The N series is its very worst line (quality-wise).

Besides, that GTX 1650 non-SUPER in the OP’s list is overpriced for what it is.

As a result, the OP would do better to revert back to the original AMD APU plan, and put the savings gained by foregoing the seriously overpriced budget GPU towards buying a better-quality PSU.

Another bad PSU recommendation, IMHO. The non-80-Plus PSUs bearing the eVGA brand name are also almost as terrible as the Gigabyte PSU that the OP originally had in the list. In fact, like most other PSU brands, eVGA has both good ones and bad ones. The N series is its very worst line (quality-wise).

Besides, that GTX 1650 non-SUPER in the OP’s list is overpriced for what it is.

As a result, the OP would do better to revert back to the original AMD APU plan, and put the savings gained by foregoing the seriously overpriced budget GPU towards buying a better-quality PSU.
Then what do you recommend? At the $50ish price point you don't have many good options. It probably isn't the greatest but it very unlikely to burn your house down like the Gigabyte one. As long it work that is all you can ask for at that price point.

Then what do you recommend? At the $50ish price point you don't have many good options. It probably isn't the greatest but it very unlikely to burn your house down like the Gigabyte one. As long it work that is all you can ask for at that price point.
Just curious, are used PSU's generally a wise decision or not? I know that the OP wants all new components but if he/she can buy a decent used PSU that is a reputable brand and make and that is safer than a $50 new one, it seems to me like the benefit would dramatically outweigh the loss of having a used component in the case that you will rarely see or interact with.

Everyone hates everything on the internet?... There is this video from gamers nexus about budget psu's in 2022.. but most have either sold out / being sold at scalper prices... which is annoying

I don't even know what to recommend at the $50~ price range at this point... Ordinarily something like this Seasonic S12III 500W 80+ Bronze unit..would probably be my suggestion..but the reivews are gnarly .. not sure what is going on here but apparently Seasonic can make **** as well if they decide to do so.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-s12...3-500w/p/N82E16817151226?Item=N82E16817151226

I would personally hate to buy a used power supply... kinda like a used car, people decide well this thing is old and might have problems and then try to sell it 2nd hand.. yeah no..

This is the best deal I can find currently... non modular so build like it is 2008?? but whatever... review from techpower up is positive... thing seemed to be in spec across the board?

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-vs650/

(sadly out of stock at newegg..but in case that changes? $40~ if they had it?)
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-vs-s...a-600w/p/N82E16817139266?Item=N82E16817139266

annoyingly $20 more but what can you do? at amazon $59
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-VS60...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back