verify burned data needed?

TBJ

Gawd
I rarely burn cd's or dvd's, is the verify burned data feature really necessary? I burned a data dvd tonight and it kept reading bad sectores, it always seems to do this to me.. on any drive.

If you don't need that data again, then skip the verification. Even better yet, just skip burning it.

Otherwise, burns can and do go bad. It's a simple step that can save quite a bit of agony down the road.

Sounds like you have a bad batch of discs. Verify shouldn't be finding problems on multiple drives "everytime."

Well, is it necessary? False. But is it good to do? Definitely.
If you want to make sure your permanent backups work, do the verify thing. Also, manual old school verification wouldn't hurt either, since I always do both to make sure.

I would 4th the recommendation to verify burned data if the discs will be stored and used a long time off from now.

Also, what media are you using, and what burner? You might have some really low grade media, or the burner and media combination you have is a bad mix. I know at work, I have to always use media I bring from home because the Sony DVDs I get from work always result in bad burns with the Optiarc drive in my workstation. Taiyo Yuden FTW.

Back