Verification Software

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
I'm using RoboCopy to copy corporate Windows 7 images to USB keys for distribution to field tech's.

The problem is, there is no general consensus on the net as to whether RoboCopy verifies it's copies or not. The question is asked a lot, but the best answer I've seen is still a guess by someone. There is no command line option for it, which seems to make people assume it does it by default.

I need a separate utility that can do a CRC or other check between the source folder and the built USB key for errors/differences.

Everything is being done under Windows 7 Pro or Ult.

I'd probably suggest using Teracopy myself as it seems to offer that capability natively, doing a CRC check but you have to enable the option to make it do the test for every file. Might be easier, who knows. I use the GUI version personally but there is a command line option available with the same abilities.

I'd probably suggest using Teracopy myself as it seems to offer that capability natively, doing a CRC check but you have to enable the option to make it do the test for every file. Might be easier, who knows. I use the GUI version personally but there is a command line option available with the same abilities.

I tried this, but I am unable to find a way to have it copy the source files to the USB key without it actually creating a folder on the key, which obviously won't work for an OS install key.

For example, the command:

Teracopy copy c:\sourcefiles e:\

Causes the program to copy the sourcefiles FOLDER to the E drive, instead of the contained files to the root of the E drive (USB Key).

I tried teracopy copy c:\sourcefiles\ e:\

as well but it does the same thing.

teracopy copy c:\sourcefiles\*.* e:\

Doesn't work at all. As best I can tell, Teracopy doesn't support wildcards.

I tried this, but I am unable to find a way to have it copy the source files to the USB key without it actually creating a folder on the key, which obviously won't work for an OS install key.

For example, the command:

Teracopy copy c:\sourcefiles e:\

Causes the program to copy the sourcefiles FOLDER to the E drive, instead of the contained files to the root of the E drive (USB Key).

I tried teracopy copy c:\sourcefiles\ e:\

as well but it does the same thing.

teracopy copy c:\sourcefiles\*.* e:\

Doesn't work at all. As best I can tell, Teracopy doesn't support wildcards.

I'm not familiary with teracopy, but did you try executing the command from your source directory?

Code:
C:
cd \sourcefiles
teracopy *.* e:\ <+plus some parameter for directory recursion>

Couldn't you also use something like SyncToy and setup a job to do the copy. I know there is also a utility call SyncIt that I've been using for years now. It's a great tool to sync directories and, while it will add massive overhead to the copy, there is an option to verify copied files.

Back