Verdict on the Dell E207WFP?

Bona Fide

2[H]4U
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5123

This looks like a really good deal to me right now. I've been looking at the Ultrasharp line, but it's just too expensive right now. The 207WFP seems to be all the good things about the Ultrasharps, but without the unnecessary addons like USB ports and the TV-out. I've heard, however, that Dell skimped on the panel with these, opting to use TN panels instead of the S-IPS in 2007WFP's.

Is this true? If so, is it a deal-breaker?

I’ve actually been wondering if it’s good enough too. It’s very cheap, in the latest Dell flier it’s listed at $289.
I’m wanting it to be used with the Playstation 3, for games and for Linux.
Dell is advertising this as having an HDCP compliant DVI connection, but some of the other threads here say that the 2007WFP really stomp it in quality.
So does the 2007WFP have an HDCP compliant DVI connection? Because if so, I think it may be worth the extra coin.

Yeah the 2007wfp has HDCP now, which I believe is a later addition and did not originally have it (at least older specs from dell makes no mention of it.)

As far as the E207 is concerned, I played a half hour in front of it and consider it junk. I was really feeling eyestrain from it. CNET gave it a 6.1 rating.

It may be a good panel but it shouldn't by any stretch of the imagination be compared to the 2007FPW simply because of the name and similar look. If you compare it to 20" widescreens with TN panels by other makers then then price is a tad high unless HDCP is a factor for you. For the gentleman above ^^....yes, the 2007FPW has a HDCP DVI connection.

BadDog said:
Yeah the 2007wfp has HDCP now, which I believe is a later addition and did not originally have it (at least older specs from dell makes no mention of it.)

As far as the E207 is concerned, I played a half hour in front of it and consider it junk. I was really feeling eyestrain from it. CNET gave it a 6.1 rating.
Sweet, thanks for that information. The 2007 is only $399 so for the extra 110 bucks it should be worth it for the quality upgrade.

I’ve seen the Samsung 205BW 20” go for $280 as well, I wonder if it compares to the Dell 2007?

The Dell 20% coupon brings the E207 down to $231, making it a pretty competetive budget display, IMO.

Joemama is right though, it isn't comparable to the 2007wfp. You'd be comparing a TN panel to an S-IPS panel (at one point, early rumors said the E207 used the same panel as the 2007wfp; they were incorrect). You also sacrifice height adjustment and USB ports. However, you are getting HDCP support, something not every panel at this price has.

I helped some family members get the E207; for their needs it should be perfect. I'll be setting it up sometime next week. For my needs otoh, I just ordered a 2007WFP.

blindrocket said:
Sweet, thanks for that information. The 2007 is only $399 so for the extra 110 bucks it should be worth it for the quality upgrade.

I’ve seen the Samsung 205BW 20” go for $280 as well, I wonder if it compares to the Dell 2007?

Or if you want to take a chance, Dell has the 2007 refurbed for $299 (and no lcd screen tax for CA folks).

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&lob=MON&s=dfh

I was considering one since there was a 20% off refurbed monitors... i think the total cost for CA was like ~$285.

edit: i'm sure these are the ones that others were sending back for the banding problem. so they must have updated the firmware and reselling it. (so most likely the S-IPS panels)

chewy2314 said:
Or if you want to take a chance, Dell has the 2007 refurbed for $299 (and no lcd screen tax for CA folks).

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&lob=MON&s=dfh

I was considering one since there was a 20% off refurbed monitors... i think the total cost for CA was like ~$285.

edit: i'm sure these are the ones that others were sending back for the banding problem. so they must have updated the firmware and reselling it. (so most likely the S-IPS panels)

Thanks for the info. Would be nice if Dell listed the firmware version for these monitors. Not a whole lot of price difference that would make me consider a refurb over a brand new one.

I have a feeling they are going to have a shit load of them E207's in their refurb listing soon :D

chewy2314 said:

If you can hunt down a 20% coupon, a new 2007WFP comes out to $319USD plus tax. You can either buy a coupon on Ebay, or hunt one down on SlickDeals.net's forums, or in some cases, even find one on the forums here. That's what I did this week, and I'd say the extra $20 is worth it. You get a warranty for sure, and you don't gamble that you're buying S-PVA panel units that geeks returned because they were upset and wanted an S-IPS model.

As for the lcd refurb site there from Dell......what are the odds that the monitor will NOT work? :confused:

aeonrevolution said:
As for the lcd refurb site there from Dell......what are the odds that the monitor will NOT work? :confused:
Odds are low. Dell tests all the equipment out. Factory refurbished either means they had to replace a backlight/inverter/power supply on a non-functioning panel, or that someone returned a panel in perfect shape (21-day satisfaction policy) and since it's open-box, they can't legally resell it as new. The reason I advocate buying new is more due to warranty concerns; if the refurb Dell has the same 3-year warranty (I'm not sure, haven't looked into it) then it's tough to go wrong at $299, if you can't find a 20% off coupon for a new one.

I am thinking odds are higher you will get an S-PVA panel than if you buy new (it's still 50-50 there) seeing how many geeks play the Dell panel lottery and return their S-PVA panels until they get an S-IPS. If the type of panel is important to you (note: The S-PVA in front of me looks decent to me) then buying new will give you more of a chance.

Back