Venus vs. San Diego core?

4330thgink

Gawd
Whats the real difference between the San Diego and Venus core CPUs from AMD? ...other then one is an Opteron and the other Athlon 64.

Thanks guys..

Thats what I was thinking.. just didn't want to jump to any conclusions.

I'll be getting an Opteron when it comes time to order.

Look at it this way. Its cheaper to go Opteron at the same Clockspeed but more L2 cache than a Venice.

Dew said:
Its cheaper to go Opteron at the same Clockspeed but more L2 cache than a Venice.
i don't know why you're comparing a product name with a core name, like xeon vs northwood :D

just remember that s939 venus = s939 san diego :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
i don't know why you're comparing a product name with a core name, like xeon vs northwood :D

Agreed. It is a matter of semantics.

(cf)Eclipse said:

Nuh uh!

The Venus cores undergo more stringent testing. Otherwise why bother differentiating them? ;)

hahaha, that's true :D

in that case, i mean technical differences.. the core itself is the same, testing and labeling aside :cool:

I know that a Venus is a SanDiego. My point is that with opteron he gets more bang for his buck. Its basically like buying the Venice and getting the L2 cache for free.

So the only diffrence between a Venice and a San Diego is that the San Diego has the 1MB L2?

thespymaster said:
How are the memory controllers of the Optys? Can it do 4 DIMMS at 1T unlike the A64's?

97% of the time no. Not to say its impossible :)

slithy said:
So the only diffrence between a Venice and a San Diego is that the San Diego has the 1MB L2?

metallicafan said:

sorry to bring back this thread. I'm looking at the venus opterons and san diego chips, specifically the 2.2ghz chips, and newegg says they both have 1mb L2 cache. So they both have 1mb L2 cache. am i right? Does the opterons require ecc ram?

Detonate said:
sorry to bring back this thread. I'm looking at the venus opterons and san diego chips, specifically the 2.2ghz chips, and newegg says they both have 1mb L2 cache. So they both have 1mb L2 cache. am i right? Does the opterons require ecc ram?

Yes, you can find both an Opteron and a San Diego chip at 2.2 GHz, and they both have 1 MB of L2 cache. However, you can usually get a lower rated Opteron (1.8 or 2 GHz) to overclock to the same level as the 2.2 GHz San Diego. The S939 Opterons do not require ECC RAM, but the S940 ones do.

Back