• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Venting Q's

CmaN3

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
368
Ok guys, I just re-did the cooling setup on my computer, and dropped the temps down to better ranges. The only problem I have is that they are so amazingly room temperature dependant. For the last couple of nights, I have had both windows in my room open. In these times, the temps(on my cpu) have dropped to as low as 30 degrees (C). But during the today, like today, My temps rose all the way to 50C at IDLE! That is a 20C degree difference. So, what I plan on doing, is taking a piece of tubing(like the stuff they use for dryers) and having that suck air directly from outside, as it is getting pretty chilly outside.

Now for my main question: The way I have my case setup, I can think of two places to put the venting: have my top blowhole on my case sucking it in there, or I have a fan in the front(in my excess CDdrive bays), where I could put it. I also have an empty blow hole on the side of my case, which doesnt have a fan in it now. I was just curious as to you guy's opinions, as I imagine you have more experiance than I do. Which would have the most effect on my temps?
Here is my setup(everything is on stock coolers)
AthlonXP 2800 Barton
XFX 6600GT
Asus A7V8X-X mobo
512 megs of ram.

Now, I plan on upgrading next summer and either going water cooling or high end air, so I do NOT plan on buying any aftermarket coolers for this.

Thanks for the help in advance!

CC
 
With air cooling the temps will always be very dependent on ambient temperature, especially considering you're using all stock coolers.
 
But that is why I want to put in a vent to suck air from outside. Especially since it gets so cold here in winter, I am hoping that I can drop the temps some more and make it LESS dependant on the temperature in my room. Becuase the way it is now, my comp will be running at 50C all the time for the whole winter.

Thanks though.

CC
 
if you route cold air into your case you may have condensation form on the outside...just something to think about
 
if you get water cooling now you can cool your athlon-xp and then move on to whatever you want to do next, most water blocks are stock with athlon-xp mountings, you upgrade to whatever else
 
Oh they are? Thanks ryugi.

As for condensation forming, I dont think I will have to worry much, as the vent will not actually be inside me case, just the outside, but I will watch it.

Thanks for the help guys.

CC
 
Back
Top