venting about bad web apps

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
I'm absolutely frustrated by a couple of web applications.

The Cingular site is just a wreck. Modifying my text alerts takes me about 15 minutes, and I spend most of that just trying to find the page in the first place.

The SmithBarney website which I use to do stock trades is also a real wreck. I can't find my most recent trades without scrolling through every trade I've ever made -- sorting is simply broken.

Why isn't there a law?

Because 90% of UI designers would get fired. Actually, designing a good UI is harder than the actual coding in my opinion.

Write a letter about it to the president or CEO. I'm serious. Maybe it will be ignored, but a well-written letter from someone with your experience about the flaws in their websites and suggestions for fixing them might get some serious attention. The COO at my current company does this on occasion about products he thinks are poorly designed. More often than not he gets a response.

For SmithBarney, I've voted with my feet. I do everything I can at one of their competitor sites. It's just that a certain class of trades has to be done through them because of a benefits agreement with my employer.

It would seem easier to vote with my wallet about my cell phone, but we think that Cingular offers the best pricing for the usage pattern we've got. I didn't write a letter because I was actually interviewing with Cingular's information provider, and figured that I'd be better off just fixing the damned thing myself. But, maybe I'll write, now.

you have no idea how much i HATE that two-layer horizontal nav menu they have at the top of the Cingular site. Just twitch your mouse a little tiny bit and everything in the second level disappears. Just imagine someone not quick or coordinated enough trying to access the Answer Center link under the Support section here http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/welcome/.
i have no idea why so many websites think that's a great idea.:rolleyes:

Back