• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Venice 3200 O/C Lockups

Actuary

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
2,468
Hey can someone help me figure out what's wrong with my O/C. I took the FSB to 240 with cpu voltage at 1.425, ram 5/6 divider 3-3-3-7, stock voltage, htt multi at 4x. At these settings I keep getting random freezes(before freezes prime shows no errors). Cpu is a 3200 venice, dfi nf4 ultra-d, 1 gb crucial ram(1 stick), 500W FSP bluestrom psu. Memtest, for the short time I ran it(maybe 30 mins) showed no errors as well. I'm confused! Do I need to increase the voltage to my cpu and/or memory?(Cooling is an xp-90 with panaflo, temps now @220 fsb with 9/10 fsb:ram ratio and 4xhtt is 34C idle, 39-40C load.)
 
I was under the impression that you want HTTxFSB to be as close to 1000 as possible?
 
Sure, but you can probably do a lot more the 240mhz HTT.

I'm doing 317.5 x 3 = ~950. (cpu multiplier at 8 and ram at 2/3 for 2540)
Your doing 240 x 4 = 960.

Make sure you go through that tutorial I linked so you can find the limit of your set up. Then you can play around with things to get the best stable overclock.
 
Ok guys, was just following the guide. In step 1 I got my HTT up to 290 before it locked up, so I figure 280 is a safe bet for the max FSB. So, I change the CPU multi back to 10(the LDT or whatever it is is still at 2x, Ram still at 1:2 or 100mhz, Ram timings 3-3-3-10) and increase fsb 3 mhz every minute or so...and it locks up at 249 FSB???? Isn't this extraordinarily low for the computer to lockup?(All voltages are stock except CPU voltage, which I raised to 1.475, CPU-Z reports it as 1.44). Any suggestions...PLEASE?
 
Set the HTT multipler to 3x. Some boards (mine too) don't like 2x.

Edit:
I re-read your post and I miss understood. If you lock up at 249mhz that means your cpu maybe reaching its limit with a 10x multiplier. (this is suppose to happen sooner or later) You can try to slowly increasing the cpu voltage to get more mhz. After you reach the limit of the cpu with voltage adjustments move on to ram testing.

Don't worry about 249x10 = 2490mhz being the limit, mine only did like 2400 during cpu testing. You can still get some more out of it. It just gives you a general idea of what it can do.
 
But a lot of people have their 3200's O/Cd to about 2.8 ghZ with a 10x multi? At least that's the impression I got looking around the forum. How can you get more out of it when about 2.5 ghz seems to be the limit...lowering the multi to 9? BTW I tried it again with LDT at 3x instead of 2, same thing, once I hit about 248(2.48 ghz) computer locks up. Should I try upping the cpu voltage past 1.475? What about the chipset voltage?
 
Ok check my oc on 3500+

10x mutiplier

3x HT

1.55 vcore

260fsb

ram 150mhz(195mhz at post)

2.6ghz(400mhz oc)
 
joeshmo1985 said:
But a lot of people have their 3200's O/Cd to about 2.8 ghZ with a 10x multi? At least that's the impression I got looking around the forum.

Not all venices are made equal. I think 2600-2700 is a more likely figure then 2800. Its too early to be dissapointed. I would also try to see how high the motherboard can get at 3x HTT and maybe a bit extra voltage. You should be able to get into the 300's.

Also remember to get the latest bios and check out http://www.dfi-street.com

DFI boards are great overclockers but can be a pain to get running right. I'm still at 2540mhz at 1.58v
 
Alright, I upped the voltage to 1.525, Got up to about 253 before I got this error:"Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4." From the A64 O/C guide I was under the impression that this error was usually caused by memory timings that are too tight, but clearly mine are not. Ideas?
 
Temps are well within range(CPU never goes above 43C). I don't know how hot the PSU is getting, however. When I did that test Ram was still at a 1:2 divider(100mhz) at 3-3-3-10. Everything is stock voltage except CPU(startup value is 1.5, cpu is 1.525). I tested the ram, last good test with memtest86 is 210mhz. HTT topped out around 290, CPU can't go over 2.5ghz. Right now all settings(beside cpu voltage) are stock while I figure out what my O/C settings will be. I don't know I feel slightly disappointed that my CPU doesn't wanna do over 2.5ghz. Should I try increasing CPU voltage up to 1.575?
 
Sure 1.575 should be fine. I'm running at ~1.58. Your temps seem really low. Try to keep it less then the low 50's at max load. (like running Prime 95 for alteast like 10 mins)
 
Alright, bumped it up to 1.55(didn't feel like messing with the percentages for special vid control). Error at 2.53 gHz. No big deal though, I wasn't gonna O/C past 2.4 anyway, just wanted to know why my CPU didn't go as high as others. Let's see, so maxes are 290, 210 for Ram, and 2.5 GhZ for cpu. Think I'll do 240 FSB, 5/6 ram ratio(keep ram @200mhz) @3-3-3-10. Running prime95 now, but while looking at cpu-z I noticed something...what's the L2 Cache ratio? You can actually set that in the bios?
 
JohnleMVP said:
Don't worry about 249x10 = 2490mhz being the limit, mine only did like 2400 during cpu testing.

That really sucks!!! If the same type of thing occurs with me, then socket 939 likely is a rip-off for me!!! :mad:

I minus will get a socket 754 system if I can't get higher than 2.4 ghz stably!!! :mad:
 
Alright, time for someone with Venice overclocking experience to chime in.

I switched over from a 3400+ Clawhammer to a 3000+ Venice, and testing for stability between the two is completely different (Prime95-wise). I'm at like 28-30 hours of Prime95 on my CPU, and I'll stop it after I get home from work and consider it error free. I'm at 300x9, 1.55v for 2.7GHz. 1.52v-1.53v is pretty stable but I get occasional errors and lockups. Even in Prime (This is what you were getting) it would lockup before even erroring out, which was really strange as my clawhammer would error out and/or BSOD and never just "lockup". But on this chip, I consider a lockup either too high of an overclock or not enough voltage.

The best advice I can give you is to slowly work on your overclock and not jump straight into it. Start at your stock 2GHz and stock 1.35v-1.4v and see how high that will go without locking up. Once you find that, slowly bump voltages and watch how your chip scales until you reach your goal (or run out of voltage/tempature room). Luckily, even at 1.55v this chip loads at 44C after SmallFFT for over 24 hours. Also, run your memory at the 1:2 divider to make sure your memory isn't the problem....and try a 3x multi on the LDT to be sure that's not the problem either. The best way to find out what a part can do is to completely eliminate any possible problems from every other part you can.

Hope this helps.
 
Very informative post, but unfortunately, that's exactly what I did. Ram was at 1:2, LDT was 3x(I tried 2x as well). Originally I kept getting lockups at anything over like 2.2ghz, so I increased the voltage up to 1.55(I might not even need that much right now, but I don't feel like finding out the hard way and having my system lockup again, I might take it down to 1.525 though). The FSB on the mobo itself maxed out at around 290ish, maybe a lil more, but the CPU keeps locking up at around 2.53ghz at 1.55v. At this voltage, the chip idles around 36C, never goes above 44C load(and it's quite hot in here, 85F+). Although I made another post about it, nobody answered that one so I'll ask here too. I read somewhere else that having your hard drive plugged into the SATA1 port instead of 3 or 4 can hurt O/C ability...any truth to this? Also, is there any reason to take the chipset voltage higher than it's stock setting(1.2v i think)? Someone earlier in the thread had mentioned it. Maybe it'll help if I updated my bios too, now I gotta go find a floppy(d'oh). The bios isn't that old though, March 05.
 
I don't think thats the case on the dfi board you have, as you wouldn't have gotten over ~220htt.
 
When testing the CPU for it's max, would lowering the multi to 9 and raising FSB yield a different result, or is 2.5ghz my CPU's max no matter that the multi is?
 
joeshmo1985 said:
Very informative post, but unfortunately, that's exactly what I did. Ram was at 1:2, LDT was 3x(I tried 2x as well). Originally I kept getting lockups at anything over like 2.2ghz, so I increased the voltage up to 1.55(I might not even need that much right now, but I don't feel like finding out the hard way and having my system lockup again, I might take it down to 1.525 though). The FSB on the mobo itself maxed out at around 290ish, maybe a lil more, but the CPU keeps locking up at around 2.53ghz at 1.55v. At this voltage, the chip idles around 36C, never goes above 44C load(and it's quite hot in here, 85F+). Although I made another post about it, nobody answered that one so I'll ask here too. I read somewhere else that having your hard drive plugged into the SATA1 port instead of 3 or 4 can hurt O/C ability...any truth to this? Also, is there any reason to take the chipset voltage higher than it's stock setting(1.2v i think)? Someone earlier in the thread had mentioned it. Maybe it'll help if I updated my bios too, now I gotta go find a floppy(d'oh). The bios isn't that old though, March 05.

To be honest, 290MHz on ur HTT is a bit....weak for a max. My DFI 250GB that I'm selling to a friend did 345MHz, and the NF4 is a stronger chipset. And I remember on the DFI 250GB (as well as my MSI K8N Neo Plat.) that SATA 1+2 were NOT locked, so that when you started overclocking, they would flake out and cause problems. I have yet to use 1+2 SATA on any of my motherboards for that fact, even the SLI-DR, but I'm unsure if it's neccessary. But, it can't hurt...one thing I did notice tho was 3+4 was listed ABOVE 1+2 in the BIOS on the SLI-DR, which leads me to believe that's still the case. Swap the drive(s) over, because either way, what can it do other than help your overclock? ;)

As far as voltages, 1.2v is the LDT voltage, and 1.5v is the chipset...and unless you go higher than 290MHz, it doesn't need more (especially considering how hot NF4 is). I'm running 300x9 over 36 hours prime stable on stock chipset and LDT voltages, and im on a higher HTT and lower multiplier. You shouldn't have to adjust those.
 
Yeah definately try it with the SATA Drive on 3 or 4. My board got to around 330.

I've been trying to improve my overclock as well but my chip seems to have rounding errors at 2580ish. I've gotten to 2.7 but at 1.7 volts so I didn't stay there for too long before turning back.
 
Back
Top