Velocity Micro System v. Severe Problems

So, I have a VM Machine I bought about two years ago. Specs in my sig, except I run XP now instead of Vista. Anyway, just a few hours ago, the screen started flickering green, parts of it would flicker, screen would go off and the computer started to lag. After a few flickers, the computer clicked, and next thing I know, it's restarting. Okay, maybe an issue with something that'll resolve itself. System flickers upon start up. Clicks when I try to log in, and restarts. This continues in a loop. System will click off once it gets to windows after a few flickers. Computer's clean, I had an anti virus scan before this happened. Managed to update my ATI drivers, no dice. Still the same issue. Safe mode. Same issue. Killed the overclocking. Same issue. I'm stuck on my laptop now.

I'm suspecting the ATI video card has gone bad. It seems that any graphical load past BIOS level will cause the card to act weirdly. I've heard from friends that ATI cards have a higher failure rate than NVIDIA, at least for that generation, X1950. I'd test with another video card, but all my friends are on either AGP or aren't willing to take out their cards for fear of damage. And I'm not rich enough to walk out and buy one willy nilly, unless to permanently replace the ATI card if it is broken.

Windows states it has "recovered from a serious error caused by software or hardware." or something to that extent.

So, suggestions, solutions, inquiries, anyway you can help, I'm open to.

I had a computer behave exactly as you describe. It was quite some time ago, I don't remember the specs. Anyway, I also thought it was the video card causing the problem, but it wasn't. The motherboard ended up being the failed piece of hardware in my case.

Just out of curiosity, have you removed your video card, cleaned it,and reseated it? It almost sounds like it's overheating since it doesn't reboot until it gets a chance to warm up some.

Are you able to log into safe mode? If you can and the system doesn't restart within 10 minutes or so, then it's not hardware. It's a software/driver issue.

Back