Velocity Micro Gamers Edge 1000!

ditzilla

Limp Gawd
Hi

First I'd like to thank those (Chris, etc.) who helped me decide on which VM computer to get. I ordered the Gamers Edge 1000, only upgrades were the Lite-On DVD/CD RW, a restore disc (in case I really mess up) and the 1 year extended warranty. Ordered 6/7/06 and it arrived today! at least 2 days earlier than I expected.

Only the first night, but it was a joy right out of the box. I did call and somehow got Pete again (who originally helped me with my order and is so great!) to find out exactly where (and if) I could put the 1 gig stick of Crucial ram I already had. This came with 512 ram - it is Mushkin, which actually surprised me. I now have 1.5 gig of ram and it's singing. Relatively quiet, another pleasant surprise with those big fans. The only thing I think could be better is the DVD/CD drive. It's not the worst, it's not the best -- but it works. So does the floppy.

One thing - the video card is very! close to the first RAM slot (where I put the 1 gig stick), so that's something to be careful of. What looks like a cord blocking part of the second PCI slot does not block it. Just looks that way in the picture. So, it is SLi ready (dont' know about the PSU for that, don't need SLi myself).

The front fan blows right over the harddrive, which I'd never seen before and really like, then there's a large fan on the back along with the PSU fan. Nice big fan on the heatsink (I got the standard one). I've had it on for about 6 hours and there's still only cool air coming out the back. Everything is accessible if you were to need or want to change/upgrade/add something.

You'll get a nice blue/black folder with all your information, your discs, etc. so you can keep everything together - no discs all over the place to get lost! The only "extra" software is MSN, which is easily ignored. I loaded my firewall, a/v, spyware, graphics program, the game and pics and have been all over the place online and desktop just looking for any problems - so far there are none.

Played my first ever 1 person game tonight - Call of Duty2 (that and FarCry Heather was able to add to my order - Thanks Heather!). Yes I stunk at it big time. But it was flawless - no stops, no errors, nothing. Oh, and the audio tweaking "Sound Effect" software made my cruddy little speakers sound amazing.

For anyone who doesn't know/hasn't seen one of these, I took a few pictures. The inside is so amazingly clean! Please forgive the quality of the pics, my camera and lighting isn't the best.

vmin.jpg

cropped in so you can see better:
vmguts.jpg

The front with the lights out:
vmnolt.jpg

Right now I am happy and relieved beyond belief. The people I've spoken with either on the phone or via email have been wonderful. The computer got here in record time. It works. The price for me was high, but that's my budget. It's a good, honest deal IMHO and worth the money. Thank you Velocity Micro and thank you HardOCP!

Congrats!

It's always good to see when someone gets a new, cool toy that brings them a whole lot of enjoyment.

It puts all the hardware debating in perspective, since realistically, that new cool thing that's a lot of fun is the overall goal for most of us :D

herryoyo said:
Congrats!

It's always good to see when someone gets a new, cool toy that brings them a whole lot of enjoyment.

It puts all the hardware debating in perspective, since realistically, that new cool thing that's a lot of fun is the overall goal for most of us :D

I second that! This is what it's all about for us. Glad to have you aboard, too, Ditzilla.

Randy

Congratulations and I hope it works out well for you. :D

Thank heavens for PC gaming because I could never get used to those bloody small controls on console platforms.

For some reason, I enjoy threads like this more than the generic "check out my $3K uber PC that I'll replace in a year" ones. It's always awesome to see someone truly love what they get because they appreciate it. It's like watching a little boy or girl at Christmas.

EmptyFlame said:
For some reason, I enjoy threads like this more than the generic "check out my $3K uber PC that I'll replace in a year" ones. It's always awesome to see someone truly love what they get because they appreciate it. It's like watching a little boy or girl at Christmas.

Hell yeah. :)

I just finished reading an interview Gaming Nexus had with Randy, sounded really cool, now I come to the forums and what do I see? :D

Nice rig. Always fun to see someone that's really excited about their newest comp.

lovemyPC said:
ditzilla - are you still loving it? looks like a lot of fun.

Hi

Yep, loving it! After the problems with my old computer "dying" due to a thermaltake psu failing and taking out the motherboard, then trying to go cheaper with a emachine that was a bad experience, I can tell you that so far I am one happy, relaxed woman.

Everything just works! I'm still trying to play Call of Duty2, and I'm still failing (got killed 5 times in mission 2 alone ... maybe 51 is a little old to be starting out with fps? :p).

I would definitely recommend this computer and the company to anyone who wants something that's reliable, has real service, and either can't (like me), doesn't have the time or just doesn't want to build their own computer.

Sir Robin, I tried a friend's console game once. That led me to believe I just wasn't meant for these types of games. On the computer? I still need loads of practice before I try anything online (WoW), but it is easier.

Empty Flame, aww thanks :) Technology-wise, yes I want something that's fairly up to date and upgradeable, but I don't have a need for the latest new thing. And yes, it definitely felt like Christmas day when I unpacked, plugged in and turned it on. No, it won't be like Christmas day when I get the cc bill next month. But it's worth every penny.

Randy, thank you for the welcome! Your company builds really nice computers and your staff I must say is excellent. Service, whether it's a problem or a question, taken care of without the customer feeling like a bother or a n00b, is important to me. From my experience, VM truly does care. They're not just trying to get your $$ and then leave you hanging. You've given me back my "lifeline", being disabled. Thank you so much.

WoW doesn't require too much in the reflexes department. It's more of a "memerize everything you need to know and you'll kill everything" game.

PC Games make a great escape every now and then and its equally great when you actually get what you pay for.

EMachines?... yikes, ouch, and ugh.

COD2 Fps's and others can be tough for the older crowd like us. I even had a lot of trouble with WoW at first it was okay after you get the interface setup in a way that works for you. Of course I also cancelled after a few months but MMORPG's just turned out not to be my thing.

If you have a high speed internet connection you might also want to check out Wolfenstein: ET. Its an Fps whose graphics are a bit dated but still has a surprising number of servers/players and is, my favorite part, really free.

Its basically a given that I will go VM but I am trying to wait until Conroe goes live.

Ditzilla - you go, girl. It's always cool to see womyn gamers. (probably like some others here) I'd assumed you were a high school or college dude. I think [h] reaches a broader audience than I thought - which is great.

Cool to see as well that vm can provide you with a satisfying experience and not just the hard core gamers with $3k to spend on a system.

ditzilla said:
Randy, thank you for the welcome! Your company builds really nice computers and your staff I must say is excellent. Service, whether it's a problem or a question, taken care of without the customer feeling like a bother or a n00b, is important to me. From my experience, VM truly does care. They're not just trying to get your $$ and then leave you hanging. You've given me back my "lifeline", being disabled. Thank you so much.

I also wanted to thank you for the pictures. I'm sending your thread to some of the staff that work so hard to give customers the kind of out-of-box experience and joy your are demonstrating. The feedback is invaluable, especially as we grow and bring in new faces to teach the "Velocity Way" of servicing customers.

EmptyFlame said:

I feel exactly the same. I actually like reading about more common PC's or midrange gaming PC's more than the top-end $3000.00-7000.00 PC's - and i also like looking at 'regular' build pics with professional yet common sense wiring jobs (not over the top). The VM units are very nice yet just a hair understated from the ultra botiques (though you can also get an ultra-build from VM too). It's these type of threads that make [H] worthwhile to me as a reader as well as the consumer reviews that are fantastic IMO.

i actually like reading about all of them.
wish the facts were a little bit more together and not so easy to shoot holes in, but the pages do load fast and articles are printable for my coworkers to show them what the inside of a pc looks like
can't have everything, but it will have to do. much congratulations to the original poster! enjoy

guhh said:
i actually like reading about all of them.
wish the facts were a little bit more together and not so easy to shoot holes in, but the pages do load fast and articles are printable for my coworkers to show them what the inside of a pc looks like
can't have everything, but it will have to do. much congratulations to the original poster! enjoy
Ok, I'll bite. You are making thinly veiled accusations in many threads. Come out and say what you want to say.

Back