VelociRaptor without Icepack in Norco OS drive?

nicholasfarmer

Limp Gawd
Is anyone else using a VelociRaptor removed from the heatsink so it will fit into the 2.5" drive slot? (used as OS drive)

The case is loud, might as well add another loud drive to it.

Im also interested if someone has filled a Norco 4220 with twenty VelociRaptor drives in raid 0.

Fun fun fun.

I'd be very wary of heat in either of those situations. VRaptors are 10K RPM drives, they run hot. 2.5" drives in particular have to dissipate all their heat from a casing with a much smaller surface area than 3.5" ones do, and they don't have much less heat to get rid of, having most of the same parts as their larger counterparts.

Dustin

VRaptors run cooler than most drives. They use much less power than most 3.5" 7200rpm drives, the heatsink trays are just for looks.

temperature.png

The Velociraptors do run relatively cool. The IcePack just helps them run even cooler.

For my HLFS Velociraptors, the above chart from TechARP appears to be very accurate. As long as your server is kept in an air conditioned room during the summer, and your ambient case temperatures aren't something crazy like 40° C / 104° F, you should be fine.

temperature.png

The Velociraptors do run relatively cool. The IcePack just helps them run even cooler.

For my HLFS Velociraptors, the above chart from TechARP appears to be very accurate. As long as your server is kept in an air conditioned room during the summer, and your ambient case temperatures aren't something crazy like 40° C / 104° F, you should be fine.

Also, if the VR mounts to the case the same way it mounts to the heatsink (i.e. screwed in from the bottom, lots of metal-to-metal contact area), you should probably get about the same cooling effect since the case will be a huge heatsink. Operating temps <50C don't scare me that much these days.

Why would you not just go with a SSD? I picked up a rebranded Intel 80GB G1 on the cheap and it has performed very well.

Edit: Unless you already have the raptor, of course.

...Im also interested if someone has filled a Norco 4220 with twenty VelociRaptor drives in raid 0.

Could you even do that? Aren't the VelociRaptor + icepack connectors in the wrong place compared to standard 3.5" drives? They wouldn't connect right in the 4220 backplane, would they?

Why would you want 20 VRs? You could prob win with 4 good SSDs..

Why would you want 20 VRs? You could prob win with 4 good SSDs.

Performance wise SSDs would be faster however there are users need space and performance and SSDs are expensive per TB.

VRaptors run cooler than most drives. They use much less power than most 3.5" 7200rpm drives, the heatsink trays are just for looks.

They definitely use less power than my Seagate 7200.10s.

The 20 VR in a Norco was "Just for fun" I know many options exist. The 600GB VR have a price point close/better to the 600GB SAS drives.

The main interest was to start a conversation about using the Norco Sheet metal as the Heat sink and talk about the lower power usage when compaired to other 7200 rpm drives.

Fun topic though.
I wish I knew a place with a great return policy so i could play with 20 VR drives and return them!

Could you even do that? Aren't the VelociRaptor + icepack connectors in the wrong place compared to standard 3.5" drives? They wouldn't connect right in the 4220 backplane, would they?

Not sure about the new generation of VR drives, but the older generation had a 3.5" model that put the SATA connector in the standard location so that they could be used with hot-swap bays.

Back