Vegas Pro 8 - Rendering Movies

caleb2001r

Weaksauce
I've been using this guide to render my movies - I want to be able to upload them to Vimeo in HD. I'm recording with a Canon HF100 in 60i, so the video is de-interlaced and encoded using H.264.

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/11/09/exporting-with-vegas-for-vimeo-hd/

Everything works great, but the moment I try to render a movie that's actually kind of long (it's an hour long Christmas movie), it doesn't work.

It's odd - all the tests I do (sample clips of the few few minutes) work perfectly. The moment I let it go all night an render the entire movie, it gives me the following error when trying to open the video:

Error -2048: Couldn't open the file Christmas-2009.mp4 because it's not a file that Quicktime understands.

Does this have something to do with the file size? The resulting rendered video is pretty huge; 2.13GB to be exact. I was planning on burning this to a DVD, and simply playing it in a PS3 when we wanted to watch family videos.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've been using this guide to render my movies - I want to be able to upload them to Vimeo in HD. I'm recording with a Canon HF100 in 60i, so the video is de-interlaced and encoded using H.264.

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/11/09/exporting-with-vegas-for-vimeo-hd/

Everything works great, but the moment I try to render a movie that's actually kind of long (it's an hour long Christmas movie), it doesn't work.

It's odd - all the tests I do (sample clips of the few few minutes) work perfectly. The moment I let it go all night an render the entire movie, it gives me the following error when trying to open the video:

Does this have something to do with the file size? The resulting rendered video is pretty huge; 2.13GB to be exact. I was planning on burning this to a DVD, and simply playing it in a PS3 when we wanted to watch family videos.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What are the specs on your computer?

I'm currently running a Core2 Duo @ 2.66ghz, 4GB of Ram, 8600GT, 64 bit Vista. You think the system has something to do with it?

It could be......how are you importing the video into your computer? Is it raw .mts?

I have the same HF100, I used Sony Vegas 8.0c and just upgraded my machine!

It could be......how are you importing the video into your computer? Is it raw .mts?

I have the same HF100, I used Sony Vegas 8.0c and just upgraded my machine!

Yep - just a series of MTS files that copied from the 16GB flash drive I have in it. I then import them into the Vegas project one by one (which is really tedious - I'm sure there's an easier way).

I'm going to try splitting it up into three videos instead of an hour long one and see if that helps. I'll post back tomorrow once it renders tonight.

Edit: I should also mention that the video does render without any errors. It says 100% at the end and it looks like a perfectly normal render.

Yep - just a series of MTS files that copied from the 16GB flash drive I have in it. I then import them into the Vegas project one by one (which is really tedious - I'm sure there's an easier way).

I'm going to try splitting it up into three videos instead of an hour long one and see if that helps. I'll post back tomorrow once it renders tonight.

Edit: I should also mention that the video does render without any errors. It says 100% at the end and it looks like a perfectly normal render.

What you need to understand is that raw .MTS files are compressed HD videos....so your computer/hard drive has a hard time watching/rendering them straight.

One thing I suggest, and it is a TIME SAVER and well worth the investment, is to purchase VoltaicHD. It converts the .mts files into an editable/easier format for Vegas to play with.

It is worth the money, trust me.

Too bad blu-ray discs and burners are still so damn expensive!

It is worth the money, trust me.

Too bad blu-ray discs and burners are still so damn expensive!

Seriously. I mean the HF100 records really nice video, and if you run in the top setting the files are HUGE. I don't know what to do with them all really. I've decided to just stitch them together in Vegas, render, and save to a DVD which brought me to this problem.

I had no idea about MTS being compressed. Does the file size increase when you convert it?

I think only by about 10%...I think......

I bought mine in November for our wedding (videographer bailed on us 3 weeks before the wedding....was paying him $1500...got that back and decided we would buy our own HD camera.). I am just NOW able to edit the wedding video due to an upgrade on my machine (Quad Core, 8gb ram, WD Caviar Black) and our recent purchase of our home.

Lot's of family events coming up.....want to get the video camera back out!

Back