Vega Rumors

What is stopping them from making a 4 stack interposer for high end or gddr... The chip can obviously do it for mi25.
Another thing is not all companies publicly list their juicy stuff. Many that I'm involved with don't.

Vega would have to have a GDDR memory controller to use GDDR.

probably not,
I have never seen a card in games get 0% gain with 25% extra clock speed. Never! Likely benchmark related than anything else.

and no its not benchmark related, look at comparable cards and it should be a fairly linear increase ;)

This is a compute benchmark, this doesn't push graphics or anything like that, just the compute array.

They showed a chip on an interposer with 2 stacks. That doesn't rule out another chip on an interproser with 4 stacks.

Compubench shows a Vega with 16GB of memory. It either is two stacks of 8GB HBM2, or four stacks of 4GB HBM2. Which is the most likely to you?

Yes it is.

No low cost HBM is not HBM3

Also Vega with 4 stacks, unless they halved their bus, that isn't going to happen.

Anything more than 8 gb is going to same stacks doubled up per stack, not 2 more stacks.

Last edited:
That's like asking to use bigger GDDR bus. Same issues applies. It cost a lot in power etc.
Why would using an identical bus be like asking to use a bigger bus? Wider bus provides bandwidth, deeper provides capacity. Bandwidth doesn't have to scale with number of stacks. Same concept as every other memory technology out there. The only power increase is from a simple doubling of memory. I wouldn't categorize 4GB and 8GB cards as hugely different power draws beyond reason.

Why would using an identical bus be like asking to use a bigger bus? Wider bus provides bandwidth, deeper provides capacity. Bandwidth doesn't have to scale with number of stacks. Same concept as every other memory technology out there. The only power increase is from a simple doubling of memory. I wouldn't categorize 4GB and 8GB cards as hugely different power draws beyond reason.

Doesn't work like that with HBM. HBM doesn't have clam shell capabilities of GDDR. More stacks = more bandwidth that is the way HBM works. higher stacks means = bandwidth.

You wouldn't put a higher clocked 8 GB parts which show less perf/watt improvements over the first gen of 4 GB HBM, power draw won't be different? Increased bus size also increases die size granted HBM bus is a bit different than GDDR.

One thing I did really like about the HBM is it allowed for a really dense design. The R9 nano is still a pretty sweet card. I'll be interested to see if there will be a 16GB HBM2 part offered as was mentioned earlier, even if its at titan price levels.

Vega 20 in 2019 or so will have 4 stacks. You are not getting more than 2 stacks on Vega 10.

HBM3 isn't cheaper and its not around the corner. If lucky you see it around 2020. And I think you confuse it with the slower and cheaper HBM2 edition. Something that is not around the corner either.
SamsungHBM3.jpg

LowCostHBM.jpg

Wow, you won't stop with your poor quotes. Directly from the original article that provided the photos above:
"Perhaps most importantly though, given the high cost of HBM1 and HBM2, HBM3 will be cheaper to produce." https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/hbm3-details-price-bandwidth/

They showed a chip on an interposer with 2 stacks. That doesn't rule out another chip on an interproser with 4 stacks.

Compubench shows a Vega with 16GB of memory. It either is two stacks of 8GB HBM2, or four stacks of 4GB HBM2. Which is the most likely to you?

I am sure Raja lied to the crowd too. Just as the slides and all. Or maybe its just you....

Yes it is.

Since I showed slides from 2 completely different presentations that you mixed. I think YOU should prove that low cost HBM and HBM3 is the same. Specially when low cost HBM is SLOWER than HBM2.

What is stopping them from making a 4 stack interposer for high end or gddr... The chip can obviously do it for mi25.
Another thing is not all companies publicly list their juicy stuff. Many that I'm involved with don't.

Do what? 4 stacks? No it cant. Vega 20 can(2019 or so), but Vega 10 cant.

probably not,

and no its not benchmark related, look at comparable cards and it should be a fairly linear increase ;)

This is a compute benchmark, this doesn't push graphics or anything like that, just the compute array.

True still never seen a card that gets 0% increase with 25% in clock speed. Never! I can bet every dollar in the bank that in gaming that wont happen lol. 1200mhz vega vs 1600mhz is not going to perform with 0% increase. Just won't happen, period!

Wow, you won't stop with your poor quotes. Directly from the original article that provided the photos above:
"Perhaps most importantly though, given the high cost of HBM1 and HBM2, HBM3 will be cheaper to produce." https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/hbm3-details-price-bandwidth/

Again, mixed 2 different presentations. That's Ars got it wrong as well is their fault.

But let me help you, HBM3 is expected to be 2x faster than HBM2. Low cost HBM is going to be around 20% slower than HBM2. Now put 2 and 2 together.

True still never seen a card that gets 0% increase with 25% in clock speed. Never! I can bet every dollar in the bank that in gaming that wont happen lol. 1200mhz vega vs 1600mhz is not going to perform with 0% increase. Just won't happen, period!

well that is why I'm saying could be some type of bottleneck that is making it hard on the shader array.

Again, mixed 2 different presentations. That's Ars got it wrong as well is their fault.

But let me help you, HBM3 is expected to be 2x faster than HBM2. Low cost HBM is going to be around 20% slower than HBM2. Now put 2 and 2 together.

Yeah in the arstechnica article they even state

In addition to HMB3, Samsung unveiled two other memory technologies at Hot Chips: GDDR6 and "Low Cost" HBM.

Two separate products.

Another Shintai fan. Read the article that was posted wi

Well, do your homework. Don't "mix " different presentations. I am sure you know better than Ars, especially given the lack of support you have given to your statements.

As far as putting 2 things together: 1 apple and 1 orange = 1 apple and 1 orange.

razor1 already showed you your lack of homework.

"In addition to HMB3, Samsung unveiled two other memory technologies at Hot Chips: GDDR6 and "Low Cost" HBM."

Not that its any surprise, since HBM3 is up to 512GB/sec and low cost HBM is up to 200GB/sec.

Or do they to try and add credibility to it?

who? reddit? reddit doesn't give two shits about who posts what! Unless someone from AMDs side reported it to be taken off since is in AMD sub reddit.

I doubt the OP who originally said come back in three weeks to check my post suddenly thought he needed to add a source when he already said don't ask him for source.

razor1 already showed you your lack of homework.

"In addition to HMB3, Samsung unveiled two other memory technologies at Hot Chips: GDDR6 and "Low Cost" HBM."

Not that its any surprise, since HBM3 is up to 512GB/sec and low cost HBM is up to 200GB/sec.
Typical of you, change the subject and make up a new one, when you are losing the argument. The topic is HBM3, not low cost variants of it. Are you drunk?

There is a poster he
Typical of you, change the subject and make up a new one, when you are losing the argument. The topic is HBM3, not low cost variants of it. Are you drunk?
The mixed up is from a poster who thought HBM3 is Low Cost HBM when it isn't based on slides from ArsTech article. Frankly I am not even sure why HBM3 matters as Vega10 most likely wont use it.

There is a poster he

The mixed up is from a poster who thought HBM3 is Low Cost HBM when it isn't based on slides from ArsTech article. Frankly I am not even sure why HBM3 matters as Vega10 most likely wont use it.

Neither will Vega20 or Navi for that matter ;)

Regarding the SK Hynix Graphics memory Q2'17 catalogue info I posted.

Worth noting that again the 1.6 Gbps 4GB HBM2 slipped its product schedule date.
Previous quarter had the date Q1, now this quarter says Q2.
So it shows they are either experiencing production challenges (which Samsung did as well when they started last year) or if you are an optimist AMD is not just buying 2Gbps that was removed from the catalogue but also the 1.6Gbps - yeah they would not.
Personally I see it more to do with production challenges, 2Gbps is dead for now and also limited to 4-Hi (will be interesting if they launch Mi25 with 4-stack).
Cheers

Regarding the SK Hynix Graphics memory Q2'17 catalogue info I posted.

Worth noting that again the 1.6 Gbps 4GB HBM2 slipped its product schedule date.
Previous quarter had the date Q1, now this quarter says Q2.
So it shows they are either experiencing production challenges (which Samsung did as well when they started last year) or if you are an optimist AMD is not just buying 2Gbps that was removed from the catalogue but also the 1.6Gbps - yeah they would not.
Personally I see it more to do with production challenges, 2Gbps is dead for now and also limited to 4-Hi (will be interesting if they launch Mi25 with 4-stack).
Cheers

14Ghz GDDR6 also comes this year and 16Ghz early next year as well. Looks fantastic for GDDR.

THat is one fucked up data book. It seems like its all over the place lol. I am sure though AMD is taking everything they can get their hands on right now. lol

Hopefully they are sourcing at Samsung instead. Then they may be able to get 1.75Ghz if they pay enough.

I like Ars Technica generally but their computer technology coverage should be taken with a grain of salt. The only person somewhat qualified to make any comments about it is deficient in living up to his surname.

That's your source? A leak that may or may not be real? That leak also states 2 stacks of 8GB of HBM2 which if SK Hynix book is correct, doesn't exist yet.

You seem to have an incapability to read things you post yourself, nor what I type to point out things your own images state. HBM3 is HBM Gen3, just as HBM2 is HBM Gen2. That low cost HBM is HBM Gen3.
SK Hynix also had that in their earlier catalogues for HBM2, along with the 2Gbps.
8GB went 1st, and then followed by 2Gbps.
Then 1.6Gbps keeps being delayed with every quarterly catalogue released - I do think it will be Q2 but I really think they have problems hitting 1.6Gbps and only reaching same level Samsung did when they launched and that was 1.4Gbps.
Only with the latest cycle has Samsung managed to hit above 1.6Gbps.

Cheers

So a bunch of sites are reporting an unsubstantiated reddit post and not even quoting the source? Some fine journalism right there.

upload_2017-5-15_19-7-17.png

88f0f2bf2507cf431bf6b63e9f15a4e5b4205bd1ce57f995016c5e75265093a5.jpg

If they can get SK Hynix HBM2 cheaper and faster Samsung HBM2 for more money, why not put them on their respective different tiers?

RX470 and RX480 don't use the same RAM chips, I don't see why the HBM2 for all tiers of Vega have to come from the same company.... it only makes sense to differentiate by your own product tier where it makes sense financially.

EDIT: And since the highest tier will sell the least (almost assuredly) it won't need as much total volume.

Do what? 4 stacks? No it cant. Vega 20 can(2019 or so), but Vega 10 cant.
Vega would have to have a GDDR memory controller to use GDDR.

Well why did we just see a leak of a 64CU card with 16gb? Presuming it's legit (seems to be) then it's single GPU.
Either AMD has 8gb stacks or are using (like the Fury x many of you like to say it's a clone of) four stacks.... or have figured out a way to tack GDDR on there (unlikely).

Which one is it? I think 4 stacks is looking more likely at this point and it's been done before. Has AMD Specifically said Vega can't use 4 stacks?

edit: if it was vega20 memory pooling/etc 64CUs makes no sense

RX470 and RX480 don't use the same RAM chips, I don't see why the HBM2 for all tiers of Vega have to come from the same company.... it only makes sense to differentiate by your own product tier where it makes sense financially.

EDIT: And since the highest tier will sell the least (almost assuredly) it won't need as much total volume.

This is exactly why diversifying suppliers in your supply chain can help when scaling.They may have an MOQ/contract though to provide from one though. Who knows.

Last edited:
Is samsung in some sort of exclusive agreement with HBM2? I mean they have had this for a bit, what is stopping AMD from knocking on samsung's door to get more chips. If Hynix keeps fucking up and can't get their shit together to ramp up supply. I am sure there is no such thing as binding agreement that keeps screwing you over and delaying your product that hurts your position in the market. Unless ofcourse Samsung has some sort of exclusive agreement with Nvidia.

First, they said Zen won't be above 3Ghz. There's no way it's competitive against 5960X or 6900K for half the price...

Then the same bunch said there's no way Vega will clock high. They said it's a bigger chip so 1200mhz is it! It wouldn't be possible at 1500mhz, no chance in hell faster than that below 300W.. blah blah.

They claim there's no chance for Vega to reach Pascal perf/w, no way for it to match the 1080Ti, it's only around 1070 or 1080 level!

Now they say there's no way it's 16GB HBM2, because this and that, as if they know it all.

I wonder why these same people are such downers on everything AMD related. Really if you hate AMD so much, piss off out of these AMD related threads. Your negativity has been proven wrong many times, enough is enough?

First, they said Zen won't be above 3Ghz. There's no way it's competitive against 5960X or 6900K for half the price...

Then the same bunch said there's no way Vega will clock high. They said it's a bigger chip so 1200mhz is it! It wouldn't be possible at 1500mhz, no chance in hell faster than that below 300W.. blah blah.

They claim there's no chance for Vega to reach Pascal perf/w, no way for it to match the 1080Ti, it's only around 1070 or 1080 level!

Now they say there's no way it's 16GB HBM2, because this and that, as if they know it all.

I wonder why these same people are such downers on everything AMD related. Really if you hate AMD so much, piss off out of these AMD related threads. Your negativity has been proven wrong many times, enough is enough?

now you will hear that it is AMDs fault they feel that way, lol. I have a 1080ti absolutely love it. But I sure as hell hope AMD brings Vega and it can clock at 1600mhz. Heck I would love that level of competition. Now people are saying oh it will be a dual chip card. Same people said to beat or meet 1080 it will have to clocked atleast 1500, now they need a dual chip card clocked at 1600?

You are right, there are way too many people that jump on anything positive AMD related and try to discredit it. It can't possibly beat their card in that rig. I welcome a competitive card from AMD that makes me consider another option to the card in my rig, its good to have that shit. I would love to have two options to consider from.

Back