Vega countdown has appeared

companies don't like it when ya keep it real lol, think they would learn by now sheesh.
I just had a conversation with AMD on Ryzen and I am told I am on the short list for sampling. So that is a great thing. If they keep that commitment, I will not sample outside of AMD and agree with its embargo dates.

that's good then! think they send you vega?!
AMD told me 4 days ago this on Vega.

We’ll get you a sample once we’re getting closer to launch :)

And that smiley face was really there.

Ehh i'll still sit calmly, as again, everything points to that "over 3 months away, closer to 5" deal with Vega.

As for why you demo your new cpu with titan and your new gpu with intel the answer is absurdly simple, you need to minimize the variables in order to give semi meaningful data, in this case you make use of as many known data points as you can and only change what you need to show.

About the Doom Vulkan deal, yeah cherry picked but i wouldn't count it against yet as we don't kmow if the drivers are optimal or just whatever they could cobble together in time for CES, and thus only final benchmarks will matter. And by final you all know what i mean here on the [H]

Here is a link to the PDF slide deck that AMD shared with us on Vega. After seeing it, you might understand why we did not publish on these slides. Keep in mind that we have never broken an information embargo with AMD in 20 years.

We never got clean slides to share as promised.

ok AMD are being petty, or better said, someone in their marketting team is petty.

Not worth it to give attention to that someone.

Yeesh, 1H17 AKA late July retail availability.

Nvidia will just need to build a bigger pool for the extra swimming cash.

seriously, has [H] ever leaked official documents before lol, wow.

seriously, has [H] ever leaked official documents before lol, wow.
Nope.

And to that point. After we agree to NDAs and product embargoes, even if we source that information from totally other sources, we do not share that information. We have always played by the rules and held up to our end of all NDA and embargo agreements.

Damn, I hope AMD makes enough off Vega to afford some breaks in their block o' text.

Yep once that NDA is signed any outside info from other sources are also covered under it :)
For the most part until recently, I was generally not even asked to sign an NDA, usually a handshake was good enough.

heres one; 4k ultra no nightmare. has a fps range of 45-90ish. haven't seen an unlocked fps on vega so... we wait for them to hit shelves and reviewers(kyle's) hands.

You did look at the AMD video I linked as it was uncapped :)
It hit a top of 76fps.
Yeah albeit a limited amount shown about 14 secs worth of play, but this showed it very briefly dipping just below 60fps at times (not noticable in play IMO) to the max of 76fps briefly at times as well, that drop fits with what some of the journalists mentioned who saw it on the floor afterwards but with it fixed to 60fps cap where it would stand out more from watching the figure.
So pretty confident that AMD clip is representative.
I watched the 1080 Pascal video, it seems it dropped very briefly to 49fps, the lower drop was more around 53fps more so when in-game action and very dependent upon map.
s performance.
Thanks
Cheers

Last edited:
As far as the information they released, it looks like AMD is at least targeting the appropriate areas in their past architectures for updates in order to improve performance. They are claiming improved geometry performance, and the tile based rasterization should help with efficiency in a lot of ways. Hopefully the new "Primitive Shader" will improve efficiency by discarding hidden geometry better than their previous architectures.

That said, they didn't release a whole lot of information, so we'll have to wait to see how much the performance is actually improved. I know you guys have already started whipping yourselves up into a frenzy over the Doom demo, but you all are just guessing on the relative performance to NV. You just need to be patient.

I also have to say that I hope Gilbert from the Doom demo video on AMD's youtube channel becomes a star, lol.

It's a cherry picked game once again. (Doom Vulkan) We saw what happened with the RX480 and AoTS cherry picking.

Given the early benchmark and early silicon, I'm thinking Vega will be around 1070-1080 performance in general DX12 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thought exactly. Here's to hoping!
Me too, but AMD did supplied [H] with a Fury X and their opinion on the card was that of disappointment, but [H] was happy about RX 480. I be very happy if [H] is really happy about Vega performance.

Edit: Grammars.

As always tell it like it is or found and from past reviews at HardOCP if what was said is relatively backed up HardOCP will be rather gentle with BOD. Tell something that is clearly not true then don't expect great smelling roses afterwards, expect more like a fire breathing dragon that will be echoed everywhere on the net and talked about everywhere with inside secrets not so secret being utterly exposed which you do not even want to think about. :D

I just want AMD to get better in all aspects, not only hardware but in winning, good accurate communications, providing great products and pushing the industry forward in a good way.

Kyle, just curious the discussion-decision making for this regarding Ryzen, did it involve the same people as for GPU?
Usually divisions have their own strategy for demos-news brief-etc, but curious if it also applies down to providing review units (could be academic because the decision would probably come from higher up even if they did share a common market team at that level).

Cheers
Some yes, some no. Raja has no say in CPU.

Back