vega @ bb

Pkirk618

Supreme [H]ardness
For the time being, they have their xfx air for $599. Not sure when it ships but at least you can order it.

I know it's not a hot deal.

https://preview.************/fWWjrk/vega.jpg

thanks bud -- not sure how to edit title, not that this will last though :(

Only an idiot or someone desperate to support AMD would spend 600 to 700 bucks plus tax for these cards.
Fanboys are gonna fanboy. Though a smart fanboy will wait a few weeks and they'll be begging people to buy these once the launch euphoria wears off.

Only an idiot or someone desperate to support AMD would spend 600 to 700 bucks plus tax for these cards.

This is the bundle with games. $499 for the card + $100 in games. The value to the person depends on if they have any of the bundled games yet.

I'm currently stuck with a 1000 dollar freesync (75hz) monitor that frame-skips w/nvidia cards limiting me to 60hz. My fury card couldn't drive it like I wanted.

Fanboys are gonna fanboy. Though a smart fanboy will wait a few weeks and they'll be begging people to buy these once the launch euphoria wears off.

Once that wears off you still have to compete with miners. Etherum is still doing well enough where people are buying out video card stock in droves.

As Gideon said above, the OP posted this for those who want to buy it. Since you are not one of them, just move on. Personally, if I were looking for a card, going from the R9 Fury to a Vega 64 would be a good jump in performance. As long as the $599 price is the bundle deal, it would be worth it.

Once that wears off you still have to compete with miners. Etherum is still doing well enough where people are buying out video card stock in droves.

Two things. Ethereum profitability is slowing down, and miners don't want Vega 64 since it's a power hog and isn't that much faster than a RX580 in terms of hashrate. Encrypted BIOS also makes it a no-go since tweaking ideal parameters can't be done easily like with RX4x0/5x0 and Polaris editor.

Miners will grab Vega 56 however.

Two things. Ethereum profitability is slowing down, and miners don't want Vega 64 since it's a power hog and isn't that much faster than a RX580 in terms of hashrate. Encrypted BIOS also makes it a no-go since tweaking ideal parameters can't be done easily like with RX4x0/5x0 and Polaris editor.

That's what I thought also. The Vega mining rigs on Youtube say differently though. Seems that miners will buy anything that they can mine with.

IMO for folks who want Vega, I think waiting for the custom AIB cards would be best -- less noise/heat is almost always a nice thing, especially for overclocking.

When your pool of available gpu models is this low, you take what you can get. It's the same reason it was hard to find 1060's and 460's even though they werent very good at mining. They were better than nothing for people trying to get their hands in the honey pot.

When your pool of available gpu models is this low, you take what you can get. It's the same reason it was hard to find 1060's and 460's even though they werent very good at mining. They were better than nothing for people trying to get their hands in the honey pot.
1060 is probably the best mining card there is right now. It does 1mhash less then any of my modded RX cards while consuming around 70w, and only costs $250 or less on Newegg. Plus 6GB of ram and doesn't lose performance at all with difficulty increases.

Even if Vega 56 could be had for $400, you would be way better off with two 1060s, and they are always in stock.

1060 is probably the best mining card there is right now. It does 1mhash less then any of my modded RX cards while consuming around 70w, and only costs $250 or less on Newegg. Plus 6GB of ram and doesn't lose performance at all with difficulty increases.

Even if Vega 56 could be had for $400, you would be way better off with two 1060s, and they are always in stock.

The thing is, at least at this time and for the foreseeable future, the 1060 6GB cards will not be $250 or less and have not been for quite a while now. (The cheapest is $279 and most are over $300.)

The thing is, at least at this time and for the foreseeable future, the 1060 6GB cards will not be $250 or less and have not been for quite a while now. (The cheapest is $279 and most are over $300.)
With the $25 masterpass coupon and cards being $260-270 in stock every day, they are under $250. It's easy to use the same masterpass on multiple Newegg accounts.
Even without the $25 off, it's still the best option currently.

I gambled in the other direction. I bought a 1080 for VR, then decided to fill my rigs with 1080s. Mining calculator show they make about double what a 1060 6gb does (though i know results vary) When i had RX 480s, i didnt mod the bios and was not getting anything near what the calculators were getting.

This time around i am using nice hash making about $2.35 a day per 1080. Never had such a long ROI, but newegg gave me 0% interest for 12 months so im not really worried going into cold weather -- the heat will be nice,

I agree 1060 is very good. The difficulty of mining Ethereum is not tied to RAM size, you may be thinking of the DAG file size for Ethereum. Exponential growth of the network in terms of hashrate and difficulty has nothing to do with DAG file size increases. The DAG file grows every 30k blocks. Blocks are mined on average every 15 seconds.With 6 GB you won't need to worry about DAG file size for a long time.

Last edited:
Back